moving through the pain...?

Options
So I am gaining some momentum and have moved from normal walking to a 3.5 pace to now about 4.0 pace. Ive been walking this way for a few days but tonight doing the more brisk 15 minutes, my hips and my butt muscles hurt and burn so bad I have to slow down the walk so that I dont quit. I know that we are supposed to listen to our bodies as well but how do you know when to push into it and when to back off? I dont want to lose my momentum. I had back surgery about 8 years ago and so I am very careful about what affects my back. I am no spring chicken either so I am sure my joints are feeling tired anyways...any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Replies

• Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    If your having pain slow down...so you can keep walking. It is more important to keep moving, rather then the speed.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I had back surgery in 1992 and I am the first to tell you that I cater to my spine. It is the only back I'll ever have and I'd like to last a few more years. So, I'm VERY cautious with it.

If I were you, I would slow your pace down for a few mins and then try moving it back up. If the pain returns, I would just slow down to a pace where you feel winded but you aren't in any pain.
  • bran2011
    bran2011 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello there,
    I am a physical therapist and odds are if you are hurting that badly your body is telling you to slow down. If your muscles are that sore, then it might have been too much. Try rramping up and down your speeed within each workout to ease yourself into the faster paced walk. Also, make sure you are giving your body rest days as well, it is necessary to healing to take place. In the end, listen to your body pace yourself and keep up the good work!
  • akunce
    akunce Posts: 29
    Options
    II know the pain you re talking about! II too had back surgery! Eight of them as a matter of fact! I am very aware of what my body tells me. You just have to keep going. The pain doesn t really get any better as many say! Some days I can do more and other days not so much! I keep telling myself that some how this is good for me as well as my back! My pain will always be there so I try not to think too much and just do what I can every day! I try to remember how it was before the pain and I continue on! The benefits for the rest of your body are there such as your cardiovascular system.Good luck with your back and keep truckin! I ll be thinking about you!
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    If you're feeling the burn or just uncomfortable, work through it. If you are feeling actual pain, then back off.
  • Kanzaki3
    Kanzaki3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    You should definitely slow down if you're experiencing a significant amount of pain. I was going through my 1 hour workout the other day but had to stop 20 minutes into it because lifting those weights repeatedly was extremely painful. I enjoy a little pain and usually play through it but if it really, really hurts, then I'll stop.
  • annastacia10
    annastacia10 Posts: 106
    Options
    I had back surgery in 1992 and I am the first to tell you that I cater to my spine. It is the only back I'll ever have and I'd like to last a few more years. So, I'm VERY cautious with it.

If I were you, I would slow your pace down for a few mins and then try moving it back up. If the pain returns, I would just slow down to a pace where you feel winded but you aren't in any pain.

This, definitely. You don't want to set yourself back by doing what might be permanent injury.
  • HisBeloved65
    HisBeloved65 Posts: 186
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I cant tell if its just the burn and the muscles just working super hard. I think I will try switching it up during the routine and see how that feels. Also going to start up with my back nuetral spine stretching and strengthening exercises in the AM. I just dont want to defeat myself in any way. Ive never done this before so I dont have much knowledge of the correct way. As soon as I stop moving the pain immediately decreases so...think I will just slow it up from time to time. I really appreciate the feedback!
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Caraetc, I think doing your stretches is a very smart idea. I've been doing the exercises from a book called Pain Free by Pete Egoscue for back pain, and I can't even begin to tell you how much it's helped me. I had a pinched nerve or herniated disc, one of the two or both, and man I'll tell ya, I was in a bad way for over a year. Pain's almost gone after doing the exercises every single day for the last 3 months. I'm able to walk faster now, working up to power walking that I used to do a few years back. Also, I'm almost your neighbor, I live a few miles south of Portland. Good luck to you and do your stretches! Get the Pain Free book. It's terrific.
  • HisBeloved65
    HisBeloved65 Posts: 186
    Options
    I will definitely look for the book. Thank you! I actually had to have surgery after 8 months of excruciating pain but dealing with drs who only wanted to medicate. The surgery was very successful and I dont want to repeat the injury which was essentially back in the day, NOT listening to my bodies limitations.
    Yeah I am out in boondocks of Battle Ground :-) work in Portland though.
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    You'll really like the book. He is so right-on about why we hurt in the first place....be sure to read the first 3 chapters before starting with the E-cises. When I read what he had to say, it became perfectly clear why I was having such terrible pain and I realized I could fix it myself by strenghtening the muscles that hadn't been used in forever and a day. The E-cises do take some time, like 20-45 minutes a day. Make time, it's worth it. And hey, build up slowly to the faster walking, don't cause yourself too much pain, eventurally you'll get stronger. And keep your shoulder blades pulled together when you walk to keep your posture correct. We hunch over and don't even realize it, which is part of the problem with our backs. Happy reading, hope it makes as much sense to you as it did to me.
  • lbkrillin
    lbkrillin Posts: 19
    Options
    I dont know about anybody else, but when I get to walking faster than 3.5 MPH it seems less jarring if i slip into a light jog. I dont know how bad your back is, so im not telling you to jog, but i do know that at speeds of 4mph it is easier to jog than to walk.