New to the gym

Options
I am 3 weeks into my change. I have lost 8 lbs already through manly diet and cardio at the gym.

I want to switch things up a bit and use some of the machines there for strength training. The issues is I have a basic membership which mainly just gets you in the door and you are on your own. I want to make sure I am doing things right and using the machines for what they should be. Does anyone have a link to some good routines on these machines. Or even youtube links? All I ever seem to find in weight lifting or kettle ball routines.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Lyle McDonald lists his machine-based program for beginners in this article. If you want to stick with it long term (rather than as a starting point and then moving to free weights) I would do each exercise for 2-3 sets rather than just 1 set.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/beginning-weight-training-part-4.html/
  • gsschulte
    gsschulte Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I like bodybuilding.com. They have the bodyspace app which is pretty good for visual walkthroughs and logging. Just make sure to stay in the beginner section for a bit because some like the arnold blueprint will help you break something if you start on that. I really liked the shortcut to size 12 week, it really walks you through a nice 3 phase lifting plan.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Youtube was my best friend when I just started out. There are a lot of good videos that discuss form and different routines. (I'm on my mobile or I would post some of the links-sorry)

bodybuilding.com has an excellent data base of different routines and there are videos on there as well.

Even though you have just a basic membership sometimes just signing up will give you one free session with a personal trainer.