Newbie - PCOS/emotional overeating =)

Options
Hello all! Longtime lurker and just joined. I'm a 22-year-old grad student in the Northeast who's struggled with PCOS and emotional snacking for almost 3 years now.

When I started college 5 years ago, I was at a very slim 127 pounds (5' 9'') after being a runner in high school. I was diagnosed with PCOS during my junior year, when I gained almost 30 pounds in a year in a half. Stressful science classes also took their toll and I began to seriously struggle with emotional overeating.

Now I've just finished my first year in grad school (the MOST stressful year I've ever experienced!!) and I need a fresh start. I'm 156 pounds (5' 9'') and I'd like to lose 20 pounds. I have started a "healthy lifestyle change" multiple times since December and I ALWAYS cave and run out for ice cream or fast food within a week. It's pretty embarrassing that I let my anxiety get to me like that.

Please friend me for shared support!! =) Especially if you struggle with PCOS or emotional overeating!! Let's beat this together.

Replies

• sophiej24
    sophiej24 Posts: 5
    Options
    Hello!

I'm 24 (just) and a PhD student in the UK. I've never been skinny in all the time that I can remember. Right now I'm probably the slimmest I've ever been (currently 140lb at 5' 5"). Officially that gives me a healthy BMI, but I know I'll never be healthy until I learn not turn to chocolate to solve all of my problems. It's really annoying because I think most of my eating habits are generally ok, but then I'll have a bad day, crack and eat an entire packet of biscuits in one go, then feel sick and hate myself. It's not useful.

For now I'm aiming to lose about half a stone. As I've not been lighter than I am now since puberty I have no idea what a healthy weight for me actually is. I'm hoping that if I take it 7lb at a time I can find a weight where I feel comfortable with my body.
  • MissMegan3119
    MissMegan3119 Posts: 110
    Options
    I am not a grad student (although now doing the daunting task of looking into which grad schools I would like to apply to), but a late undergrad student. I am 26 years old with a 3 year old daughter and a husband, working towards my degree in sociology and a minor in social work.

Before I met my husband, I used to always struggle with my weight, but became completely immersed in running/exercise, and that is what kept the weight off. After I met him, and realized he accepted me for who I was, whenever the slightest bit of stress/sadness/happiness, whatever it may be, food was my answer.

I feel you, and support you. Good luck!
  • westj15
    westj15 Posts: 20
    Options
    After I met him, and realized he accepted me for who I was

Sister, I know the feeling. My boyfriend and I have been together now for almost 2 years and it sometimes makes it hard to lose weight whent they're telling you how beautiful you look when in reality, you can't stand to look in the mirror.
    Keep your chin up- and smile when the hubby says something nice because not all girls are as fortunate to have a man that accepts her for her!

Keep on keepin' on :)