Need help determining % of calorie deficit for cut

Hi,

I am starting a cut and need help determining the percent of calories to decrease. During my bulk, I gained about 5-7 lbs. and I'm not sure how much of that is fat vs. muscle.

I started my bulk at a low weight (for me) so was comfortable going up a few pounds. Since I didn't gain that much on my bulk (according to the scale) should I set my weekly goal for a pound or half a pound loss? I plan to continue to lift (4 per week) and do my regular cardio (running 15-20 miles per week) during my cut. My biggest goal is not to lose any of the muscle I gained during my bulk.

I appreciate any advice you can offer!

Replies

• VanderTuig1976
    VanderTuig1976 Posts: 145 Member
    As of 3 weeks ago, it was 23 percent according to the hand held device (don't know what it's called).
  • krknobbe10
    krknobbe10 Posts: 110 Member
    I've heard to keep your protein up to help not lose muscle! You could start with half a pound and see how it goes and then decrease your calories more depending on how fast you want to lose it. What are you stats?
  • VanderTuig1976
    krknobbe10 wrote: »
    I've heard to keep your protein up to help not lose muscle! You could start with half a pound and see how it goes and then decrease your calories more depending on how fast you want to lose it. What are you stats?

Thank you - I was thinking the same thing
  • VanderTuig1976
    My stats are: female, 38 y/o, 5'8 1/2, 150 lbs
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Hand held device to calculate body fat %. How does this handheld thing calculate fat around organs?
  • VanderTuig1976
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Hand held device to calculate body fat %. How does this handheld thing calculate fat around organs?

It's bio impedence and I know they're highly inaccurate, but, at the moment, it's all I have access to.
  • VanderTuig1976
    Since I don't have truly reliable data, here is a picture of me from this last weekend. It may give a better idea of where I am body fat % wise.99dglf00k2az.jpg

Me.jpg 75.2K
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I gained about 10 pounds over the winter on a planned bulk. We (trainer/me) figure it to be ABOUT 50:50 fat/muscle, it was over 6 months. Now I'm on a cut, and I set my goal to 1/2 pound loss per week. I think trying to lose a pound a week is going to be too hard, especially now that I'm picking up my cardio with biking, and I think I'll be starving. Plan on continued lifting to maintain as well.

Think about it--if it's the "last 5 pounds" you want to lose, that's really the toughest, when people really tend to slow down to that half-pound per week loss. Don't make it so hard on yourself, plus you still need energy to maintain your lifting, right?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    How long did you bulk for?
  • VanderTuig1976
    My stats are: female, 38 y/o, 5'8 1/2, 150 lbs
    I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I gained about 10 pounds over the winter on a planned bulk. We (trainer/me) figure it to be ABOUT 50:50 fat/muscle, it was over 6 months. Now I'm on a cut, and I set my goal to 1/2 pound loss per week. I think trying to lose a pound a week is going to be too hard, especially now that I'm picking up my cardio with biking, and I think I'll be starving. Plan on continued lifting to maintain as well.

Think about it--if it's the "last 5 pounds" you want to lose, that's really the toughest, when people really tend to slow down to that half-pound per week loss. Don't make it so hard on yourself, plus you still need energy to maintain your lifting, right?

Thanks, CarlydogsMom!!! This makes total sense from an eat to perform perspective and helped affirm the strategy I was leaning more toward to for my cut. Good luck to you on your cut - we can do this!!!
  • VanderTuig1976
    How long did you bulk for?

4 months
  • RyanPed
    RyanPed Posts: 10 Member
    A good place to start is 20% less then your BMR. Then look at your macros. When I cut I use 20% fat 20% carb and 40% protein.