What to eat pre-workout

Options
haibu
haibu Posts: 67 Member
I started crossfit and I've found I'm kind of dizzy/spot-seeing during the workout once it really gets going. Is this a fitness level thing or a diet thing?

My pre-workout morning meal is usually eggs/protein + veg/fruit. Should I have something more carby/grainy?

Replies

• wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat something that contains carbs and protein. More carbs than protein. I lift heavy and haven't experienced any dizziness.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    depending on the length and intensity of my workout, i'll have something as little to a cup of coffee and a banana, to as much as a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

carbs are your bodies fuel source, and are usually recommended to have pre-workout.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Carbs and hydrate. Carbs give you an easy source of energy for your body to use and water is also importnat to be effective. Dizzy is a warning sign for me im overdoing it, lack the fuel or lack water. My response is to take a rest, eat some carbs (I take some with me (banana), even a piece of candy, drink water). You get to know your body and when its performing well plus what it needs. I can also get a bit paranoid im not at peak, so am always montoring my performance.

If your pre workout meal is about an hour before and your workout is <1hr then its unlikely to be a food/ fuel issue. Experiment and see. Ive also seen lack of salt suggested on here.
  • haibu
    haibu Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm so going to eat a PB&J sandwich next time, that sounds SO good. I might go eat one now.

As for taking a rest...that brings me to one thing I don't really like about crossfit, that group/competitive aspect that seems to discourage rest or stopping for a sec, maybe it's in my head, but I feel like I'm not keeping up or "giving it my all" or "committing" or whatever the catchphrase is if I need to stop for a second...something I probably wouldn't (smartly) think twice about if I was alone.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    haibu wrote: »
    I'm so going to eat a PB&J sandwich next time, that sounds SO good. I might go eat one now.

As for taking a rest...that brings me to one thing I don't really like about crossfit, that group/competitive aspect that seems to discourage rest or stopping for a sec, maybe it's in my head, but I feel like I'm not keeping up or "giving it my all" or "committing" or whatever the catchphrase is if I need to stop for a second...something I probably wouldn't (smartly) think twice about if I was alone.

pushing yourself hard to exceed your limits is good and should be encouraged. pushing yourself to the point of injury or where you will faint is bad.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    The next bit after feeling dizzy could be you fainting, honestly its not a good look. I thought with crossfit you competed against yourself? I push myself all the time but hardly ever feel dizzy, if I did i'd stop. Health is more important as Apollo said, what happens if you injure yourself? That could take you out fo a period and then you arent competing against anyone being sat at home.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    I typically work out in the morning. I usually eat breakfast before hand and its usually a carb and a protein. Today it was a slice of multi grain type toast and pb2 , sometimes its an egg on an english muffin. things like that, normally.

experiment and see what works best for you.
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'll usually have a protein shake before I work out or some lavash crackers with light babybel cheese and some berries. Something not too heavy.
  • yhealthy2000
    yhealthy2000 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    You need a combination of complex carb and protein. My workout is intense for at least two hours at a stretch. Weights and cardio. I eat about 200 to 250 calories 20-30 minutes before starting. Also, I drink 8-10 ounces of caffeine. Plus water and Powerade during workouts. Works great for me. Post workout, I have a whey protein drink. I've been doing this for 8 years at the gym.