What foods to keep on hand for a dieter?

Options
Besides fresh fruit and vegetables, are there any certain foods I can keep on hand for when I get the munchies? My boyfriend has been doing the food shopping and he's filling my cabinets with cookies, sugary cereal and cake mixes and my freezer's full of frozen dinners! I tried to tell him I'm dieting and he says I'm not "fat" and shouldn't worry about it. What about nuts, hummus, healthier frozen dinners...any suggestions?

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    For snacks I usually like popcorn, carrots, trail mix, granola bars, fruit, hard boiled eggs, or cheese.

• jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    It's not a diet, and none of those things should be off limits. HOWEVER, I get what you're asking. I like having greek yogurts, pb2, string cheese or cheese cubes, Any type of easy protein. Eggs (I usually make scrambled eggs with 1 whole egg + 2 egg whites). Laughing Cow cheese wedges. In addition to having lots of veggies and fruit. And I like them easy. Steamables, baby carrots, and salads for veggies and apples, bananas, halo oranges, blueberries to sprinkle in a yogurt or on top of a waffle.
    What do you LIKE to eat for meals? I personally hate frozen dinners. I prefer 1 pan meals or something I can throw in the crock pot.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    thats a really lousy word, as im sure you'll be educated about.

as far as what foods i usually have on hand.... veggies and fruits, pretzel thins and laughing cow cheese, peanut butter and pb2, tea, eggs, sandwich thins and english muffins, chicken, fish and scallops, spinach, salad dressings of various kinds, and oatmeal cream pies. LOL
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    nuts, hummus, and frozen dinners are very calorie dense and easy to go over on for the first two, and very sodium filled and not filling for the latter.

eat nuts if you'd like, but carefully weigh them first. an ounce of almonds- roughly 24- is about 140 calories. that's about a handful. i know that i can eat about five handfuls without thinking.

the serving size of hummus is two tablespoons. great if you can measure it out and have some with carrots. but hummus really lends itself to just scooping straight out of the container. before you know it, you might just be finishing a container in one sitting.

i personally love snacking on fruit. i eat a banana, an apple, and an orange almost daily. i do have some almonds and raisins very often (always weighed out). a yogurt and some chia or flax seeds or even some granola can be a great snack too.

now, there is nothing wrong with enjoying some of that snack food, but you must be mindful of how much you eat. weigh and measure it, and log it before you eat it to keep you on course.
  • Babykeys32
    Babykeys32 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Fresh fish (freeze it) . M&s count on us/balanced for you range of ready meals. grapes..Good for snacking. Ready mixed salad from supermarket, stir fry mixes...really quick dinner. Fajita kits are good, and frozen veggie burgers.

I hope that helps a bit! Xx
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Stop using the word "diet'. How about healthier food choices. I would encourage him to join you. Good luck.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt with chocolate, cake batter, or cookies & cream whey powder.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    I do half-servings of crackers and potato chips. I also like sugar-free fudgesicles. But tbh I just eat what I ate before, albeit with more vegetables and lean protein and fewer carbs.

I also make cakes from time to time because I live with people who will eat most of them, leaving me with two slices.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    jaqcan wrote: »
    It's not a diet, and none of those things should be off limits.

I like this... OP keep that quote in your head
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    I do half-servings of crackers and potato chips. I also like sugar-free fudgesicles. But tbh I just eat what I ate before, albeit with more vegetables and lean protein and fewer carbs.

I also make cakes from time to time because I live with people who will eat most of them, leaving me with two slices.

i bought two pies today from our pie lady. a chocolate coconut cream pie and a strawberry rhubarb.

however, between my husband, son and two teenagers.... I'll be lucky to get a couple of slices of each (which will likely last me for the week!) ;)
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I love Boom Chicka Pop popcorn.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I still eat the cookies and other stuff, but I weigh them out an put them in snack baggies in my "junk food" drawer. Whenever I am wanting something like that I can easily grab a serving size and go on with my business, whereas before I would grab 2-3 servings and gobble them down before I realized the calorie damage.

As for some quick easy snacks I like the following:
    Greek yogurt with granola, walnuts, and rolled oats (my standard breakfast with some fruit).
    Greek vanilla yogurt with peanut butter, tastes like dessert to me!
    Apples with peanut butter.
    Triscuit crackers, carrots, or sugar snap peas with hummus.
    Laughing cow cheese wedges in various flavors. They are also good to use on burgers instead of a cheese slice or sandwiches.
    Clementines, apples, bananas, or a pre-measured snack bag of flavored almonds.
    I like to make breakfast sandwiches and freeze them for a quick grab and go breakfast or lunch on the weekends. Check Pinterest for recipes.
    Salads with salsa for dressing and either a tuna or pink salmon pack for protein and meat.
    Graham crackers with peanut butter.
    Sandwich thins for burgers or a quick tuna or chicken salad sandwich. I make a tuna salad with a tuna pack, some greek yogurt, relish, and salt pepper to taste when I don't want to boil an egg to add to it. Usually is enough for two sandwiches without the egg, and definitely enough with an egg added to it.
    Frozen hamburger patties, and various types of individually vacuumed sealed fish for quick dinners.
    Butoni stuffed noodles with spaghetti sauce for a quick side.
    Zucchini and squash for a quick pan fried side, I just use a little cooking spray, salt, pepper, and thyme to season then I fry up for about five minutes each side on medium to get a touch brown on each side. Still have a touch of crunch and so tasty!
    Mushrooms to add to salads, spaghetti, stir fry, omelettes, and about anything else.

I don't buy the frozen dinners and I can't really help you there, but I am sure someone will have some ideas for you.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I keep in the house food I like to eat. I'm not on a diet, I'm eating a bit less to lose some extra weight. (o.k, a lot of extra weight) ;)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Everything you love to eat, except you're eating less of it, (in moderation).
  • crackerjack9
    crackerjack9 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Great advice from all! From now on "diet" is a four-letter word in my house! I hadn't thought about portion-control because I usually eat without thinking. I need to change my thinking!
  • Reg4502
    Reg4502 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I like to keep nuts around and I eat grilled chicken breast all day everyday! I have learned so many great ways to mix it up so it's not so bland.