Salad Dressings & Spaghetti Sauce

Options
Hello everyone!

I started using myfitnesspal a couple months ago & absolutely love this site.

However, I have learned while my ankles were so swollen the past 20 years (aside from being obese!)...my sodium grams/daily were thru the roof! And that is AFTER I started my daily logging & cut out fast food & eating out too often!

Anyhow, I have researched some online for lower sodium salad dressings & spaghetti sauce, but most of it is organic. I have no problem with organic except the cost. I do not want to pay $8 + for a SMALL bottle of dressing...likewise w/spaghetti sauce.

Does anyone have any cheaper ideas?

Thanks!

Kathy

Replies

• adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I don't know how to make salad dressing but making your own spaghetti sauce is pretty easy, and you can control what goes into it.
  • rawk_fairy_666
    rawk_fairy_666 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Salad dressing is easy!

Try Balsamic vinegar and olive oil or Vinegar, olive oil, honey + mustard. Dont add any salt if you are watching your sodium levels :smile:
  • Greenkat57
    Greenkat57 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks adamiti. I plan on making my own spaghetti sauce & salsa this Fall after my garden is done. Meanwhile, I was looking for something to tide me over.

I never thought about trying to make my own dressing (duh!), but I think I will google that.

thanks again.
  • gaelowyn_pt_duex
    gaelowyn_pt_duex Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    salad dressing can be easy- especially if you like vinagrettes. a little olive oil, crushed garlic, smidge of salt, pepper, vinegar, some dijon mustard to emulsify, and any herbs you want to add. blend away! spaghetti sauce is easy to make- but if you use canned tomato sauce(plain) still check the label- they still pack a wallop of salt in plain tomato sauce. I buy no salt added. same price. non-organic. I shop at meijer and pretty sure their store brand has no salt added variety. canned soups are huge sodium bombs as well. same with canned/boxed broths unless you buy reduced/no salt added kind. it's out there, just takes a little hunting.
  • Greenkat57
    Greenkat57 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks gaelowyn...I have googled some salad dressing recipes & plan on trying them out.

If I have learned one thing using the tracker it is about all the crap already in food when you buy it! I made spaghetti recently after avoiding it due to the pasta (a trigger for me!), and when I went to log it in I could not believe the sodium content.

I have learned to NOT assume I don't have to read labels on things you think are healthy (like made from tomatoes) b/c there is always hidden stuff.

I will check out the 'no salt added' brands next time I go shopping...this is truly a learning & time consuming process!
  • annanavis
    annanavis Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Here's my easiest homemade pasta sauce recipe. Well, it's not even a recipe so much as just a ratio:
    --1 large can (28oz) tomato sauce
    --2 medium cans (14oz) diced tomatoes
    --1 small can (6oz) tomato paste

I am almost positive you can get no-salt versions of all those.

Mix all that together, add whatever herbs you want, add in the garlic, and you're done.

To kick it up a couple notches, consider the following:
    --choose all sorts of diced tomatoes- there are many flavors to choose from. If texture is an issue, get the petite diced size.
    --sauté some minced garlic first, before adding in the tomatoes, instead of using garlic powder. (Never use garlic salt or onion salt - blegh). If you're going to use fresh garlic in this sauce, it really does need to be sautéed until soft and golden (not browned).
    --Sauté the garlic with onions, bell peppers, eggplant, zucchini, whatever
    --For a meat version, try browning up a pound of ground turkey with garlic
    --for herbs and spices, basil is a must, as is garlic (to me, anyway). Anything else is totally open to whatever you have on hand that sounds/smells good.
    --remember the 1:3 ratio of dried to fresh herbs -- 1 teaspoon dried = 3 tsp (1T) fresh. Dried herbs are best added right at the beginning of making this; fresh are better at the end
    --the longer it cooks, the better the flavor develops
    --this freezes well

• Crisseyda
    Crisseyda Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I started making all my salad dressings after I started to cut out processed oils like soybean and canola--you simply can't find a bottled salad dressing without them! There are so many easy versatile recipes out there, tangy, sweet, creamy. Ranch is my favorite.

(Processed oils have hidden trans fats and excess omega 6 fatty acids).
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti sauce, if you mean tomato-based, is ridiculously easy to make, even if you really cannot cook:
    Get a can of tomatoes, or tomato juice, or 3-4 fresh tomatoes, some onion and/or garlic, put everythign in a food processor (or dice, depends on how you like your sauce), add a couple of tablespoons of tomato paste for extra taste (this step is optional), add a bit of olive oil, whatever herbs you like (basil is the most commom) and let it simmer for a while until it starts thickening. Add salt and pepper to taste, and you have sauce :)
    As for salad dressing, the simplest is to mix olive oil and lemon juice or vinegar, plus whatever herbs and spices you like. Place everything in a jar, close the lid, shake well, and serve.