Eating what I log...

Options
This may seem silly but it's something I have been struggling with. I prepare 99% of my meals at home, and log as I do so, before eating. That way I can just scan the barcode thingy and put yhe stuff away as I cook. But most of the time I don't eat all of what I logged. Then instead of going back and guessing what I ate and changing my log, I catch myself eating a 100 calorie snack without logging it to "make up" for what I didn't eat.

Example: Today I made a 6oz pork chop, 1/4 cup dry rice, 1 cup frozen broccoli, and scrambled one egg in with the rice. Ended up eating about 3/4 of it and put the rest in a container for tomorrow. I didn't change mu log, but had a 90 calorie bar as a snack and didn't log it.

Question is. I want to be as accurate as possible without becoming addicted to constantly weighing left overs, or eating more calories than I think I am due to making guesses and making up for it later. What have you found to be the best way to be the most accurate. I am only about 9 days new to this so I am not as informed and practiced as most. Just looking for helpful advice. Thanks!

Replies

• truelight_photo_craig
    truelight_photo_craig Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Change your serving amount to reflect what you really eat. If you ate 3/4 of a 6 ounce pork chop portion, change the servings from 1 to 0.75
  • truelight_photo_craig
    truelight_photo_craig Posts: 347 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Sorry, double post...
  • healthnut050
    healthnut050 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who is a bikini competitor, not sure how she does it, but she weighs everything and plans out meals and eats everything that she plans when she is supposed to eat. So if you are always having leftovers, lower your portions. She usually is eating chicken and veggies and maybe a piece of sweet potato at every meal.
  • lloftus723
    lloftus723 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Ok. So should I cut my meat smaller before preparing it? I am a single mom of two picky eaters so I get my meat packaged in single meat servings (one pork chop, one steak) in an effort to save money and not waste food. Maybe cutting that in half and then reweighing?
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Change your serving amount to reflect what you really eat. If you ate 3/4 of a 6 ounce pork chop portion, change the servings from 1 to 0.75

This. And if you eat it, log it. It's a good habit to have, and if you aren't seeing progress, you can look back at your diary and maybe see why. If your diary is incomplete, it won't be a helpful tool.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    go back and change it to reflect what you actually ate, and then add-in your 90-cal bar. like the p.p. said, if you lose/gain and want to go back and look at your diary, you will not know what works or doesn't work if you aren't properly logging. i know it's a hassle, but well worth it.
  • swimminginseattle
    swimminginseattle Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    So you are tracking what you eat, and some of what you do not eat...and not tracking other stuff that you eat hoping it might all equal out.

I'm brand spanking new, but am guessing that this technique would not work well for me. I'd need to double check and update my calorie count.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    i've occasionally done the same. i just try to not do it on a regular basis.
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in the responses. I'm happy to eat every bit I log. :blush:
    It might be easiest to save it as a recipe, then when you make it again you can use the servings. Like the amount you made divided into 4 servings, so when you log it you pick 2 or 3 servings for 1/2 or 3/4th. Does that make sense? It's still a guess, but a more educated guess if you don't usually finish your food.
  • lloftus723
    Options
    Ok thank you! I will go back and change it.
  • lloftus723
    Options
    jaqcan wrote: »
    I'm interested in the responses. I'm happy to eat every bit I log. :blush:
    It might be easiest to save it as a recipe, then when you make it again you can use the servings. Like the amount you made divided into 4 servings, so when you log it you pick 2 or 3 servings for 1/2 or 3/4th. Does that make sense? It's still a guess, but a more educated guess if you don't usually finish your food.

Makes total sense. I have wondered how to use the my recipe option. I will check it out. I don't usually eat a lot of BIG meals, more so several smaller meals. I'm just never hungry enough to eat a full chop, or chicken breast. Even without eating the smaller meals throughout the day.