Cross-training shoes....recommendations?

Options
I have archless, overpronating feet...in other words, wide, flat and I get terrible shin splints if I wear the wrong shoes. For running, nothing has ever been better for me that Saucony (love them!)....but now that I am into my second round of Insanity, I am finding that as I do all the side-to-side movements, I am "falling" off the sides of the shoe. Not on the arch side/inside, that's fine, But on the outsides. I feel like the side-to-side movement of my foot is causing the body part of the shoe to hang over the sole part of the shoe, and therefore not giving me enough support for cross-trainnig side-to-side movements.

I was just about to order a new pair of Saucony sneakers (mine are a little old), but I started wondering if maybe Saucony just doesn't really make shoes for side-to-side movement cross-training so much as they do for forward running. Then I also thought maybe I am just falling off my shoes because they are old and worn out. Or, maybe I just need a wider width next time?

Any thoughts? Thank you.

Replies

• peanutbutterpanic
    peanutbutterpanic Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    The Nike Dual is an amazingly comfortable shoe, I love them.
  • mazomama
    mazomama Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    ive been having the hardest time trying to find cross trainers:grumble: but i have super high arches...
    bump!
  • Tomhusker
    Tomhusker Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Great question. I am always "Falling off" of my shoes. I have a fairly new pair of K-Swiss tube that seem to be better about it. They are a bit narrower than I am used to, as they do not come in x-wide, but seem to have helped with this problem.
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Tennis shoes would be good for side to side movement. Message me if you want more info.
  • angel_eyes17
    angel_eyes17 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Hottness4Lyfe
    Hottness4Lyfe Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • s_nes
    s_nes Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Years ago I worked at a Nike outlet...all of us had to be trained on the different types of shoes and the different ways people run/walk. It's been so long that I no longer feel confident in giving you advice on what shoe to wear, but I do recommend going into a store that specializes in running (ie The Running Room) and talk to one of their employees. They should be able to find a shoe that meets your needs, plus you get to try a bunch on right then and there and get to see how it feels when you do those movements.
  • pearlandmom
    Options
    I need new shoes as well! This is the most comprehensive info I have found about running shoes! Hope it helps!

http://www.ontheruntx.com/running Shoe Basics-wp2.htm
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Just to reiterate everyone - I am not looking for running shoes...I am looking for "cross-training" shoes.
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 12 of Asylum and I'm doing it barefoot on carpet. The main reason is I twist my ankle when wearing sneekers. This works for me and it works the small muscles in my feet.
  • Thorneapple
    Thorneapple Posts: 154
    Options
    I agree ... a speciality store would be a great place to get the advice you need. See if you have one near you.

Here is a site that has a search by location: http://www.runnersworld.com/store/search/1,7978,s6-240-417-0-0,00.html
  • therobinator
    Options
    Hi everyone. I apologize in advance if what I am about to say comes off as rude. It isn't meant to. It's just words, so please try not to read any tone into it....

I thank you all for your varied suggestions, but did anyone really think that I haven't already gone to specialty stores in the past? That's how I was able to finally determine that Saucony is the only shoe that works for me. And now that I need new shoes, I'd like to stick to Saucony....but as I said originally, I am concerned that maybe Saucony just doesn't make shoes for side-to-side movement cross-training so much as they do for forward running. Or maybe I'm just falling off them now because they are old and worn our and new Sauconys will do the trick? Or, maybe I just need a wider Saucony width next time?

So I guess my real question is -- do people think I really need to find a new brand/style of shoe to fit my needs, or would simply new and/or wider Sauconys probably do the trick?

Thanks again!! :flowerforyou:
    (Edited for spelling.)
  • ilsie99
    ilsie99 Posts: 259
    Options
    Have you considered vibram five fingers? I know a lot of people like using them for crossfit.
  • therobinator
    Options
    Have you considered vibram five fingers? I know a lot of people like using them for crossfit.
    My husband would love you for suggesting this. Lol. Do they have good arch support and cushioning? Good exterior non-rollover features? (As I hit "post reply" I am Googling, too.)
  • Tankplanker
    Tankplanker Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I use boxing boots, adidas ones, very flat and thin sole but lots of support for my ankles.