daily sugar? how much??

Options
Does anyone know about how much sugar should be consumed daily? Keep in mind I'm trying to lose weight.

My sugar intake has been about 130g in the last 2 days. That seems ridiculously high!

Replies

• whateverdamnit
    Options
    I go my MFP's recommendation and try to aim for 24g of sugar, or under, per day.
  • lisabel87
    lisabel87 Posts: 152
    Options
    wow really!? no wonder I'm not losing weight...
    where does it say the recommended sugar on this website??
  • BBaley2720
    BBaley2720 Posts: 13
    Options
    Yeah 130 is insanely high if your trying to lose weight. 24g is about right but try to ingest them in your first two meals giving your body proper time to burn them off throughout the day. Anytime your blood sugar level spikes thats not a good thing when your goal is to lose weight
  • acave9406
    acave9406 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    wow really!? no wonder I'm not losing weight...
    where does it say the recommended sugar on this website??

I'd love to know too.
  • JaycrazyRose
    JaycrazyRose Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Me too. I would love to know the answer to that question.
  • BBaley2720
    Options
    After you setup your account in your MY HOME section is tells you the daily amount of sugar you should have a day. I would take that number divide it by 2 and eat it early. I would also try to only eat natural sugar and not those from processed foods. Reducing Sugar and Sodium from the diet are two very important steps to losing weight and keeping weight off
  • lisabel87
    Options
    Haha I feel like an idiot...it did seem way too high.
    I'm not eating candy except for skinny cow ice cream bars. I eat a lot of fruit...
  • Cletc
    Cletc Posts: 352
    Options
    Mine says 30
    I think I ate 50 thought but I had a can of soda on accident (thought it was diet)

I don't see the macro/sugar chart on the iPhone app though. Is it somewhere on there too?
  • BBaley2720
    Options
    I have checked this site and realized there is no sugar scale here. I look on my Blackberry App throughout the day it is has a whole nutritional chart that keeps track of everything
  • 2stepz
    2stepz Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    on the iPhone ap, click on the nutritients tab of the home page... sugars are listed under carbs, as a subset.
  • k1r5ty23
    k1r5ty23 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Think it depends more on where the sugar is coming from rather than how much. The sugar from fruit can easily send you over the MFP allowance for a day but it's healthy calories. Whereas cakes and biscuits are packed with bad added sugars which slow down digestion.

My advice would be to only loosely take notice of the sugar allowance...as long as the sugar your having is healthy it's not a problem. Just try to cut out as much added sugar from processed foods as possible.
  • Cletc
    Cletc Posts: 352
    Options
    on the iPhone ap, click on the nutritients tab of the home page... sugars are listed under carbs, as a subset.
    Ah! Thanks
    the "nutrients" tab on the home page.
    Thanks so much.
    I really appreciate it.
    Now I wish it were a Nifty Little Chart as on the website :-):laugh:
  • dawnbrisset
    dawnbrisset Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I follow Jorge Cruise's 'The Belly Fat Cure' and he recommends 15 grams sugar per day. Our bodies weren't set up to process all of this sugar.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I keep in mind the source of the sugar. If I eat a banana and add fresh sliced mango to a curry I make for dinner, it makes me exceed MFP's daily sugar goal. In that case, I don't sweat it. If I ate added sugars -a sweetened cereal, sugar in coffee, a soda, sweets, or things like that and exceeded my sugar limit, I would be concerned and adjust what I was eating.
  • lisabel87
    Options
    I figured out how to see how much sugar you need in a day. You can also look at things like calcium and fiber.

go to Home--> Settings --> My Diary Settings --> Track Nutrients
  • JaycrazyRose
    JaycrazyRose Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I figured out how to see how much sugar you need in a day. You can also look at things like calcium and fiber.

go to Home--> Settings --> My Diary Settings --> Track Nutrients

Thank you so much for that info, I just changed my diary settings. Now I know where I will be standing with my sugar intake.
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Diabetics have to watch there sugar intake very closely. I have a diabetic friend and when i showed them that MFP only allowed me 44 grams a day he just kinda laughed. I don't eat candy or drink soda at all. I get 95%+ of all my sugar from fruits and veggies and am always over by MFP standards. I eat an orange and banana every day 7 days a week. As long as they come from whole foods i'm not gonna sweat it.