too many calories?

Options
Is 2185 calories to much with me being larger and wanting to lose 1 lb per week? I am lightly active and this is the figure it gave me. My family says it's too high. That I should do 1500-1800.

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Put your stats in here and compare to what MFP set up...

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • tiffanyk97504
    tiffanyk97504 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Bmr shows 1970
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    u have 60lbs to lose? can i get your stats? such as height and weight?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    You need to provide your stats for someone to be able to answer this.
  • Greenkat57
    Greenkat57 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    In addition to needing more info to help...my nutritionist said that the number of calories are sometimes secondary to weight loss. She pointed out that if you you eat all high carb junk, but stay under 2000 calories a day it really is not going to help you in the long run.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I have 90 to loose and am currently allowed 2400 calories. I also usually gain as much as 1,000 extra from exercise. Sounds like a lot to me to but I am loosing weight quite steadily by following the numbers MFP gives me.
  • Firefly0606
    Firefly0606 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't eat below BMR - yes you need to lose weight but your body also needs fuel to run, don't starve it or it will work against your weight loss efforts. BMR is what your body would need to keep your heart lungs etc working if you lay in bed all day. If you get out of bed in the morning then you have started burning more than you need and creating that calorie deficit.
    The scooby calculator above is a good one, but the figures in every calculator are never 100% accurate. You may need to play around with your calories by 50-100 at a time to figure out the right amount.
  • tiffanyk97504
    Options
    u have 60lbs to lose? can i get your stats? such as height and weight?

5'7" 255
  • tiffanyk97504
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all the quick responses :) anyone wanna check out my diary? I think I've done pretty good for my 1st day B)
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Your diary is not public. ;)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't eat below BMR - yes you need to lose weight but your body also needs fuel to run, don't starve it or it will work against your weight loss efforts. BMR is what your body would need to keep your heart lungs etc working if you lay in bed all day. If you get out of bed in the morning then you have started burning more than you need and creating that calorie deficit.
    The scooby calculator above is a good one, but the figures in every calculator are never 100% accurate. You may need to play around with your calories by 50-100 at a time to figure out the right amount.

bolded part is false...

You can eat below your BMR and no your body will not work against you...
    Greenkat57 wrote: »
    In addition to needing more info to help...my nutritionist said that the number of calories are sometimes secondary to weight loss. She pointed out that if you you eat all high carb junk, but stay under 2000 calories a day it really is not going to help you in the long run.

Fire your nutritionist...that is false.

It doesn't matter what you eat for weight loss it's how much...

For health it is good to get in your macros but have them define "junk"...all food is fuel.

I am 5 ft 7, female, 151lbs and 42...I lose weight on 1800 a day.

• jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    id say 2185 cals is probably fairly accurate for your stats and a 1lb a week loss. u can always lower it if u find u don't need that much. give it a week and see how u feel!
  • tiffanyk97504
    Options