Any backpackers or hikers out there?

Options
Hey, all! I live for backpacking and hiking! I gave myself a bit of a wake-up call looking at the Backpacker gear guide and comparing some of the weights to my current gear. It's pretty ridiculous that I would consider dropping hundreds on a new sleeping bag when I can lose oodles more weight with a fitness program. I have a LONG way to go, so that's gotta be better than a ton of new gear, right?

I'm in Wisconsin and winters like the last with little snow are even more brutal than those with bitterly cold temperatures. I'd love to connect with people who can keep me motivated even when I can't get out!

Replies

• suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    We don't live for hiking but love to do it occasionally. We haven't yet ventured into overnight backpacking trips...have thought about it but not yet. We might be too in love with our comforts (like a mattress).

We are in Seattle so have some amazing hikes around us. We just had to gear up our son for a 8 week field camp (his last quarter at university) with much backpacking equipment...ouch that was a sting to the wallet!

What do you do for exercise other than hiking?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    See you out on the IAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where in Badgerland do you live? There is a great hiking club in SE Wisconsin.

Also, I did buy a larger waistband for my Osprey but I now fit the smaller one again!
  • kasaz
    kasaz Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm a hiker and a backpacker. Was planning to backpack the John Muir Trail this summer, but I broke my arm and won't be able to heal and then train in time. I am still going to backpack the Wonderland Trail around Mt. Rainier in Washington State in September. I just got back to hiking on easy trails (broke arm 3/19), but will have to heal a bit more until I get to the trails I normally hike. There is a Hiking and Backpacking group on MFP. I love to hike cause I can go so much further and burn so many more calories than just walking in the neighborhood. I live in Arizona so there are many good months to hike, but not so good in the summer. I agree with losing weight to make hiking and backpacking easier, but don't overlook lighter gear.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    We want to hike the wonderland trail! Sort of... :smiley: In all honesty we probably like the idea of it more than the reality. Got the book, started reading and thought "we aren't even close to ready for that"! We run across others doing it often on our day hikes and it sounds super cool!
  • earlnabby
    Options
    kasaz wrote: »
    I'm a hiker and a backpacker. Was planning to backpack the John Muir Trail this summer, but I broke my arm and won't be able to heal and then train in time. I am still going to backpack the Wonderland Trail around Mt. Rainier in Washington State in September. I just got back to hiking on easy trails (broke arm 3/19), but will have to heal a bit more until I get to the trails I normally hike. There is a Hiking and Backpacking group on MFP. I love to hike cause I can go so much further and burn so many more calories than just walking in the neighborhood. I live in Arizona so there are many good months to hike, but not so good in the summer. I agree with losing weight to make hiking and backpacking easier, but don't overlook lighter gear.

If you ever get to the Great Lakes area, try out the Ice Age trail: 1000 miles, all within Wisconsin, showcasing beautiful scenery and glacial formations that are seen nowhere else in the world iceagetrail.org/

• tbiedermann101
    tbiedermann101 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm in Appleton Area, but love to hike all over the state. The Ice Age Trail is one of my favorites to follow! I've been to around 50% of the 113 state parks, trails, and forests and I'm hoping to hit even more this year. I did just find out there's a hiking/walking and backpacking meet-ups in the area, so I just joined.

Thanks Kasaz for the tip-off that there's a group on MFP!

Earlnabby, if you ever want to meet up for a hike, I'd be totally game! It shocks me how few Wisco natives know of the IAT.

I've got a trip planned to the White Mountains in New Hampshire in August and I'm hoping to still get a campsite at Pictured Rocks in three weeks. It will be hopefully be my first solo trip. I'm just waiting to see if I need to have a torn meniscus repaired. Yuck, but I hear it's a really fast recovery.

YAY for hiking people!
  • roadhousegypsy
    roadhousegypsy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm toward Waukesha! And love to hike :)
  • earlnabby
    Options
    I'm in Appleton Area, but love to hike all over the state. The Ice Age Trail is one of my favorites to follow! I've been to around 50% of the 113 state parks, trails, and forests and I'm hoping to hit even more this year. I did just find out there's a hiking/walking and backpacking meet-ups in the area, so I just joined.

Thanks Kasaz for the tip-off that there's a group on MFP!

Earlnabby, if you ever want to meet up for a hike, I'd be totally game! It shocks me how few Wisco natives know of the IAT.

I've got a trip planned to the White Mountains in New Hampshire in August and I'm hoping to still get a campsite at Pictured Rocks in three weeks. It will be hopefully be my first solo trip. I'm just waiting to see if I need to have a torn meniscus repaired. Yuck, but I hear it's a really fast recovery.

YAY for hiking people!

My ortho calls your injury "hiker's knee" (I have it too). He did part of his residency in New Zealand and saw a lot of it.

Right now I am limiting myself to 5-6 miles at the most, partially because of the knee but also because I have degenerative arthritis in the right foot. No more 22 mile Lake Geneva Lakeshore path hikes for this girl. My favorite section of the IAT is a connection that follows the Fox River from Portage to Governor's Bend. I grew up hiking the Marquette Trail before there even was an IAT.

The hiking club I belong to plans several hikes each week (most in the 4-6 mile range on weekdays and longer ones on weekends) all year round. The majority, especially in the off season, are more like urban walks than actual "hikes" but there are always a few snowshoe hikes planned in the winter (including Horicon and Sheboygan marshes). They also plan a couple of camping/hiking weekends each year. We have one coming up in June at Huntington Beach State park. They are the oldest club of its kind in the country, having been established in 1924.

• Pie319
    Pie319 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'm a PNW hiker/backpacker here. Planning a Mt. Rainier summit next month after a failed attempt due to weather 2 summers ago. I'd love some more mountain-loving friends! Feel free to add me people!