Day 1 completed! Low fat salad dressings ideas needed

Options
Hi all

Day 1 completed. Am really liking the MFP app. Need alternatives/suggestions for low fat salad dressings. Ive generally used low fat mayo but wanting to try something different but also low fat.

Any ideas!

Replies

• dondotwinks
    dondotwinks Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Heinz 70% less fat salad cream is very tasty and only 46 calories for 33g
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    A lot of times I use just plain old balsamic vinegar. I have tried Ken's steak house brand and it is really good.
  • MarciBkonTrk
    MarciBkonTrk Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I like to do a quick vinaigrette. 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, 1 tablespoon olive oil, a dash of Dijon mustard, a squeeze of lemon, lime, or orange juice, and a little salt/pepper to taste. I put it all in a small lidded jar, shake like crazy and drizzle over fresh greens.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    OPA Greek yogurt dressings.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I like the Bolthouse Farms stuff pretty well, but my go to is Newman's Light Italian. I also make my own olive oil and balsamic sometimes.

Just make sure you're not cutting too much fat from your diet...dietary fat is a highly essential macro-nutrient. It is calorie dense so it is something to moderate...but you still want a fair amount of good dietary fat in your diet.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I use straight up balsamic vinegar.
  • PoshPYTnPink
    PoshPYTnPink Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Bolthouse Farms yogurt dressing is great! I have the salsa ranch dressing and I'm hooked!
  • krumpli
    krumpli Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I like lemon juice, mustard, and mashed avocado. Adjust proportions to taste, add some herbs, bam!
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I make Italian dressing, but just omit the oil. Makes it fat free if you just use vinegar and herbs. You can also replace the oil with water if you need to dilute the strength of the vinegar.
  • JimFsfitnesspal
    JimFsfitnesspal Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Portion control makes everything better.

No matter which dressing you use, cut the portion in half or two thirds.

Vegetables taste great naked too.
  • carolynmo1969
    carolynmo1969 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I use full-fat dressings and just measure 1 to 2 tbsp. It's far more satisfying and a good way to ensure you are getting enough fat - your body needs it!
  • Jemasaxa
    Jemasaxa Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have learned to make dressing myself, so much easier than I thought and I know what I put in it. I use olive oil so the dressing does need to sit out for a few minutes since the oil hardens in the fridge.
    This is one we like for a Mediterranean type dressing.

For dressing: (adjust based on taste preferenes)
    -3-4 tbsp olive oil
    -1-2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
    -1 tbsp fresh lemon juice (from about 1/2 lemon)
    -1/4 tsp basil
    -1/4 tsp oregano
  • dietcoke281
    dietcoke281 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I love the Hellmans Caesar dressing. It's only around 50 cals for a tablespoon.
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I use Kraft salad dressings. Either low fat or whatnot options. Tons available, at least here. :)
    Also Renee's Gourmet Vinaigrette's are decent.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I like using just a good vinegar, either balsamic or standard sherry vinegar (because I’m weird and like the taste of vinegar). The sherry vinegar is even lower cal than balsamic.
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I like to do a quick vinaigrette. 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, 1 tablespoon olive oil, a dash of Dijon mustard, a squeeze of lemon, lime, or orange juice, and a little salt/pepper to taste. I put it all in a small lidded jar, shake like crazy and drizzle over fresh greens.

I use this recipe all the time and it is amazing! You can include crushed garlic, a little balsamic, or anything else that suits your fancy.
    Vegetables taste great naked too.

Couldn't agree more! Especially if you get veggies that are in-season (check out your local farmers' market).
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar

this and salt and pepper
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    OPA Greek yogurt dressings.

I second this. The Ranch one is my fav.