Where the distance runners at?

Options
Hey, I'm training for a half marathon and would love to have fiends that are in the same situation as me. It's tough to eat enough so my runs improve, while maintaining a deficit in order to lose weight. Send me a request. Thanks!

Replies

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! There's also a Long Distance Runners group on here that's pretty active; we've had an influx of half-marathoners there, so you'll find plenty of company! :)
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to taper for my 4th and 5th half marathons on 5/9 and 5/16. I think I might be turning into a running addict.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    There are lots of us here!

Losing weight and training for long distance endurance events are unfortunately somewhat mutually exclusive endeavors. Fueling the body for long training and maintaining a deficit is hard to do properly. Good luck!
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    You may want to take a peek at the Monthly Running Challenge thread....lots of great people in there with encouragement and advice. And lots of folks running events each week.

There was a lot of great advice and friends I made there while training for my first HM. (which was actually this morning...)
  • Gingerkid05
    Gingerkid05 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I see lots of people who have found success using distance running to lose. However, they were heavier than me when they started. Well I will fail if I don't try☺️
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Finished my first half marathon 2 weeks ago... Have my next one in 3 weeks! They're addicting!!
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Add me too! I've not run a half or full marathon in eleven years. Restarting running last fall felt like a baby learning to walk again, albeit with 100 extra pounds on the baby. The baby is lighter now but not done yet. I'm aiming for my first half in July. Also planning on some distance trail runs.
  • thomaszabel
    thomaszabel Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Add me if you want. I'm up to about 50 miles a month. Doing 5k in June, 10k in July and half marathon in fall.
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Sending you a request. I ran my 5th half last weekend and have my first 25k in just under 2 weeks. Oh, and a trail half in early June. I'm really looking forward to that one!
  • carriekwi
    carriekwi Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Add me if you like ;). Running 75 miles/month and only going up! A charity 10k this month, the Mackinac Bridge run and a HM in the fall!
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Sending you a request. run a lot of marathons, ultras and timed events..Run Ginger Run
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    carriekwi wrote: »
    Add me if you like ;). Running 75 miles/month and only going up! A charity 10k this month, the Mackinac Bridge run and a HM in the fall!

Wow Carrie you look great, running definitely agrees with you!

Just read your bio page about your dad - my mom fills a similar spot in my personal motivation story.

Everyone's stories here are inspiring. I feel a run coming on! Thanks!
  • Ghlt4
    Ghlt4 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I'm not quite ready for the half yet. I'm working on doing a 10k in a few months. Then onto the half.
  • ristikay
    ristikay Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Add me too if you want! I have been a distance runner for ten years and now that I am in grad school I joined the triathlon team so adding a couple more endurance sports
  • Gingerkid05
    Gingerkid05 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • SusanUW83
    SusanUW83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Running my 9th HM this weekend since Jan 2014. Running a race is more fun than long slow dist by yourself. Add me if you want. I've been a runner for 40 years -- slow but steady.
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I'm not up to running yet, but, I'm doing the miles at a fast walk. Finally have been able to add some jogging recently. Just starting week 5 of Hal Higdon's Novice one, modified to a walk/jog. 65 miles in the last 4 weeks! I'll get there eventually.. lol
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Ran 8.5km today and am currently training for a HM race in October. Feel free to add me.
  • wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I am in a similar spot as you. I have completed my first 10k, have a 10 mile run in a few weeks and planning a half in the fall. I am losing weight as I train - but I have slowed it to a slower pace - and will sometimes eat at maintenance for a week or so if I feel deprived and unable to keep the runs up.