ugh. no weight loss this week.

Options
5 lbs first week, and nothing this week. What gives? Even less eating out this week, too. So discouraged and I have a long way to go.

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    What gives? Maybe the fact that weight loss is not linear, your nody does not work according to a calendar, or you are retaining a bit of water or a big poop.....
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    You know how people say that weight loss isn't a linear process? This is exactly what they mean. There are going to be weeks when you don't lose even when you're doing everything right. It's probably just water weight masking any weight loss that's happening. Drink plenty of fluids and double check your logging for errors and the scale should catch up soon. :flowerforyou:
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    What they said. You're retaining water from sodium, or hormones, or from new/increased exercise. I'm up a pound and a half in one DAY because of hormones.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    To avoid getting discouraged, then have reasonable expectations and you will then kniow what to expect and be less surprised. Normal healthy weight loss is 1-2lb a week and as explained above its not linear plus there are plenty of reasons why your weight fluctuates and your body can retain water. Rather than having the I have a long way to go mentality, just take it one day and one week at a time or you cna get overwhelmed and think yourself into trouble.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Buckle up and hold on tight. Won't be the last time :)
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    You need to have more patience than that. 1 week is nothing. As long as the trend is downward, you're doing just fine.
  • CADAVER0USB0N3S
    CADAVER0USB0N3S Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Like the above people said, have patience. Keep eating healthy and exercising and you will continue to lose weight and get into better and healthier shape. Some weeks you won't have any weight loss, and sometimes you might even go up a lb or so, but don't let it discourage you. Many things can cause your weight to fluctuate.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    You need to have more patience than that. 1 week is nothing. As long as the trend is downward, you're doing just fine.

Yup, 5 pounds in 2 weeks is 2.5 pounds per week. Look at it that way!
  • TheRoseRoss
    TheRoseRoss Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    A personal observation is that we get caught up on losing "weight," instead of losing "fat." An example I have been using is:

- You weigh 200 pounds
    - You lose 50 pounds of fat
    - You gain 50 pounds of muscle
    - You still weigh 200 pounds
    - You become discouraged, ignoring the changes in your body composition, because according to the scale, you haven't lost any "weight."

Be patient, and be conscientious of losing "fat," not losing "weight."
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    This is going to be a long long ride. You have to be committed enough to continue with it, whether you lose some weeks or not. At two weeks, you've only just begun and it will be a roller coaster with many ups and downs. You may even seen a small gain some weeks. The key is to not let it discourage you, because thats when so many give up. Just keep pushing forward.
  • seantheking87
    seantheking87 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    That's one of the reasons I weigh fortnightly as opposed to weekly.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Don't get used to 5 lb losses. Losing more than 1-2 lbs a week is unhealthy on a regular basis. Some weeks you lose 1lb. Some weeks are goingn to be more...some are going to less. Some weeks may be just a wash. That's how it is...and if you get used to that idea the more better off you'll be. :)
  • nicola8989
    nicola8989 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I've had much the same experience - I lost 6lb in the first week and a half, was really happy -now weight loss has stopped. I know it's hard not to get disheartened but we have to keep going.
  • jaimestroud5
    jaimestroud5 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks all :)
  • quksan
    quksan Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    5 lbs first week, and nothing this week. What gives? Even less eating out this week, too. So discouraged and I have a long way to go.

The first week is a lot of water weight so maybe next week will be 1-2 lbs. Don't give up stay encouraged.
  • scotvalkyrie
    scotvalkyrie Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I know your pain. Sometimes everything goes right with your eating and your exercise, and you're disappointed by the scale. Sometimes, though, you're just not going to lose pounds on the scale, because you're retaining water, your hormones went crazy, or you've gained muscle mass, or a butterfly farted in China. I swear. Just keep on plugging away, and the pounds will drop when they're good and ready.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    It took me a good month or two before the scale started moving but you could see difference in the measuring tape as well as in progress pictures. Make sure you do both and don't put so much weight on the scale numbers.