1200 calories?

Options
LisaMighton
LisaMighton Posts: 51 Member
I've been going through some of the sticky posts in the forums, trying to get answers to some questions. A few of them seem to suggest that 1200 calories as the target is low, and that's because of how you filled out the initial goals. Some of these posts are helpful, like this one http://fit101.org/the-step-by-step-guide-to-losing-weight-with-myfitnesspal/. I went back like it said, and re-entered goals etc., but I'm still at 1200 calories. I'm looking to lose 30-40 (ideally at least 40, but I'm setting achievable goals) lbs. Is this a reasonable beginning?
So far, I'm hungry much of the time!

Replies

• ShannonMK9
    ShannonMK9 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    You need to enter your activity level as well - it comes up 1200 when you put in sedentary, if you do work outs and are sure of your calorie burn you can add those in as well. If you have a active lifestyle change your activity level to active and it will increase the amount off calories for your base goal.
  • KiwiAlexP
    KiwiAlexP Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on 1200 calories (once I convert from kilojoules which is 5021 per day) and am listed as sedentary, however I do wear a fitbit which starts giving me extra calories to eat after about 2000 steps. On a lazy day like yesterday I get nothing extra but so far today I've earned about another 240 calories (1000 kilojoules) while at my desk job and should get more with a walk after work. I'm not finding I'm overly hungry most days but will go over occasionally - aiming for a total loss of 40 kilos (88? pounds). I've been steadily losing so far.
  • IvanOcampo
    IvanOcampo Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    The other day I had 1420 calories for breakfast....
    I felt so happy.
  • Firefly0606
    Firefly0606 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Too low. You want to lose fat, but do you really want to starve yourself? You need fuel to function. If you eat below your BMR your body is likely to get used to functioning on far less than it needs, suppresses your metabolism, and your weight loss likely to stall.

1420 calories for breakfast would make anyone happy.
  • myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Yes, 1200 is too little. I eat around 1500 a day regardless. I have a Fitbit to count cals as well. I have lost 8kg since Jan with very little effort. I'm not really hungry most of the time, but if I get to the end of the day and I'm still hungry at bedtime, then I eat something small.
  • hncary
    hncary Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Try using a TDEE calculator and eating at a 15-20% deficit of your TDEE. Is that still showing around 1200?

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    You are probably being overly aggressive with your desired weekly weight loss goal. If you are shorter, lighter, or already close to your ideal weight range, you cant dial in a 2lb. a week loss ... thats 700 cals a day under your TDEE requirements.

1200 is the minimum that MFP will recommend for a female, and no one will recommend you go below that without medical supervision.

As far as hunger is concerned ... every time you feel hungry, drink a glass of water and wait 15 mins. If your still hungry, then you really were, and you can find a healthy solution. If your not, you werent. A large portion of the population cant tell the difference at least part of the time.

For satiety, reduce empty calorie intake, and replace it with low cal high fiber options ( raw/steamed vegetables, etc ).
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    You are probably being overly aggressive with your desired weekly weight loss goal. If you are shorter, lighter, or already close to your ideal weight range, you cant dial in a 2lb. a week loss ... thats 700 cals a day under your TDEE requirements.

1200 is the minimum that MFP will recommend for a female, and no one will recommend you go below that without medical supervision.

As far as hunger is concerned ... every time you feel hungry, drink a glass of water and wait 15 mins. If your still hungry, then you really were, and you can find a healthy solution. If your not, you werent. A large portion of the population cant tell the difference at least part of the time.

For satiety, reduce empty calorie intake, and replace it with low cal high fiber options ( raw/steamed vegetables, etc ).
  • hncary
    hncary Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    hncary wrote: »
    Try using a TDEE calculator and eating at a 15-20% deficit of your TDEE. Is that still showing around 1200?

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

ETA- I agree 1200 is too low and MFP always calculated a lower calorie intake for me than I got when I used the TDEE calculator so that's why I'm suggesting it :)
  • galaxyeyed
    galaxyeyed Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    You may need to up your calorie goal, but it's probably also useful to look at what you're eating. Make sure you're eating things that fill you up and keep you full for a while. A calorie is a calorie, but there are foods that will definitely fill me up better than a cookie :p
  • timwaagh
    timwaagh Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    its a fine goal but you'll have to understand it's not likely to be cost-free. i'm also on 1200cal. i have side effects like a drop in my mood among other things. i think its worth it but others may not agree.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    OP - what rate of weight loss did you select?
    That's the biggest influence on your calorie goal.

Don't make it harder than it has to be - aim for sustainability not fast results.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    timwaagh wrote: »
    its a fine goal but you'll have to understand it's not likely to be cost-free. i'm also on 1200cal. i have side effects like a drop in my mood among other things. i think its worth it but others may not agree.

as a man you should be at at least 1600...esp with only 17lbs to lose...

To be frank I don't know how average people even consider 1200. Hangry does not begin to describe how I would feel...never mind being able to do the exercise I do.

• rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    It all depends on your age, height, weight, body size and activity level. I'm 56 and only 5'1.5". I had a fitness eval in the fall and was told my BMR is only 1136 if I were sedentary. Many people would think that's pretty low, but I've been using a FitBIt Charge HR which I got a few days back, and it pretty much shows my calories as what my TDEE estimate is as a moderately active person -- between 1400-1500 a day. This includes walking a big campus (I teach) and a 30-45 minute walk when I get home. If I did nothing all day, probably 1100-1200 would be all I would use up. So to have a real deficit, I really need to eat around 1200 or even less. However, a younger, larger, or more active person might definitely need more calories just to sustain themselves.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    OP-IT IS 1200 + EXERCISE calories
  • daaaaaanielle
    daaaaaanielle Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    If you find that you're hungry a lot, try and choose foods that are high in volume but low in calories. Fruit and veg are usually good bets for this. Look up Volumetrics.

Essentially you want to avoid energy dense foods (foods with lots of calories for not much food) and eat foods that have less calories for more volume. I find that this is the best way for me to avoid feeling hungry. If you get to grips with volumetrics and still feel hungry, perhaps look at increasing your food calorie goal.

I chose to up my calorie goal to 1400 and use exercise to increase my deficit by another 200. It's the same effect as me eating 1200, working off 200 calories via exercise and "eating back" the calories afterwards, but instead I'm eating them first then working them off. Both methods have a net calorie consumption of 1200. The way I do it means that I will still lose weight if I don't exercise - 1400 is low enough to create a deficit for me - but the rate I lose it won't be as high as I would like it to be.
  • kittynat
    kittynat Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Can I ask a silly question?
    Using one of the calculators my TDEE is 2064 - 20% is 1651. I currently do 1-3 hours of exercise a week.
    So do I eat to that calorie goal every day, even if I don't exercise on that day? Also, what happens when I can't exercise as much in a given week?
    v confused?!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    kittynat wrote: »
    Using one of the calculators my TDEE is 2064 - 20% is 1651. I currently do 1-3 hours of exercise a week.
    So do I eat to that calorie goal every day, even if I don't exercise on that day? Also, what happens when I can't exercise as much in a given week?
    v confused?!

Not a silly question at all.
    Yes you eat the same every day but it's sensible to use a little common sense and flexibility when you either have a big exercise day/week or a week when you can't exercise as much.

It's the advantage of the MFP "eat back exercise calories" method - you only get the calories when you have done the exercise.
    Six of one and half a dozen of the other but both methods work if done properly.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    kittynat wrote: »
    v confused?!

Not a silly question at all.
    Yes you eat the same every day but it's sensible to use a little common sense and flexibility when you either have a big exercise day/week or a week when you can't exercise as much.

It's the advantage of the MFP "eat back exercise calories" method - you only get the calories when you have done the exercise.
    Six of one and half a dozen of the other but both methods work if done properly.

This...

TDEE is good for someone who is consistent with exercise. Because it includes exercise calories and it can be a moving target if you aren't consistent.

I did not switch over to TDEE until I knew for sure I found the exercise I would do consistently...and it's worked great for me...

But as mentioned when I did NEAT (MFP method) my calories to lose 1lb a week were 1450+150 exercise calories total 1600...my TDEE when I started was 2k...-20% for 1lb a week guess what 1600 calories...it really is 6 of one half dozen of the other...
  • KatieMusselwhite92113
    Options
    I've been going through some of the sticky posts in the forums, trying to get answers to some questions. A few of them seem to suggest that 1200 calories as the target is low, and that's because of how you filled out the initial goals. Some of these posts are helpful, like this one http://fit101.org/the-step-by-step-guide-to-losing-weight-with-myfitnesspal/. I went back like it said, and re-entered goals etc., but I'm still at 1200 calories. I'm looking to lose 30-40 (ideally at least 40, but I'm setting achievable goals) lbs. Is this a reasonable beginning?
    So far, I'm hungry much of the time!

It all depends on you. I am a 5'0" tall sedentary 160 lb female. Based upon my TDEE, BMR, and weight loss goals, 1200 is generally not a bad goal for me (currently mine is set to 1270). But, for MOST people, 1200 is difficult and you could eat more and still lose. Personally 1200 doesn't starve me, but everyone is different!