Made it into the navy! Need help slimming down before sailing out!!

Options
2»

Replies

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Rodbow15 wrote: »
    agartin wrote: »
    "...drinking just enough water to make it through the day, while trying not to binge on it..."

I'm really curious.. Is it possible to "binge" on water? Why only drink enough to make it through the day?
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Rationing your water is insane. Skipping the mayo or trading the mcchicken for a double hamburger might be more effective. Moving more throughout the day. Eating a little less of things you don't mind giving up. Stopping before you're stuffed. 500Cal a day is a lb a week. The loss adds up over time...

I don't know, my NC1 says something about the water weight build-up or something, however I always figured if I sweat while working out then that'd go away regardless. Might disregard that, tbh, water helps keep the cravings away for me.

Okay, this is a big red flag that your NC1 doesn't know how to do healthy weight loss. Tons of terrible advice gets thrown around in the military. Water is extremely important especially with how much exercise you are engaging in.

You are making this very complicated. Pick a calorie goal, it should be at least 1800 kcals per day. Stick to it. Progressively build up your cardiovascular fitness and strength so you'll be prepared for the military fitness demands.
  • Rodbow15
    Rodbow15 Posts: 9 Member
    Options

Okay, this is a big red flag that your NC1 doesn't know how to do healthy weight loss. Tons of terrible advice gets thrown around in the military. Water is extremely important especially with how much exercise you are engaging in.

You are making this very complicated. Pick a calorie goal, it should be at least 1800 kcals per day. Stick to it. Progressively build up your cardiovascular fitness and strength so you'll be prepared for the military fitness demands.

The thing with me is that it takes a while to stick but once it does it's permanent. Problem was I was doing google searches to figure everything out but was getting confused from the bits and pieces of info I was reading on.
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    By the way: thank you for serving your country (and I would like to also thank our Canadian Armed Forces Members!)

Lol No problem man, I come from a partial military family since my older sister and brother both went in and they recommended me to also join like crazy.
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! My husband just got in himself and ships out on Oct 7th!

My best advice to you is attempt a paleo (low carb) diet. This will help you slim down rather quickly if for no reason more than water retention. Although honestly it's great long term and I don't think you'd have an issue getting close to your goal. Try an exercise program like p90x, I've done this and it kicks your butt really good! Don't forget to jog 1.5 miles, and do sit ups and push ups. You'll want to practice now before you get to basic since they score you on point system. (you want more points).

Have a great day! :D
  • greenlizard72
    greenlizard72 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Navy vet here. To add to the good advice above, I would include endurance in push ups, sit ups, burpees, jumping jacks, etc... Your CCs will be asking you politely to do these all the time. :) You'll do awesome! Never give up.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I agree, mix up routine between cardio days and core days. Working on improving upper body strength will serve you well. Kettle bells are great for this.

Stop drinking alcohol and smoking. This will also help you focus on the priorities. Staying sober in the Navy is also a good idea.
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,406 Member
    Options
    topazora wrote: »
    You seriously have time to get in the shape you need to be in. Also, I don't know if you have the PRT for the Navy, but here's the PDF: http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/support/21st_Century_Sailor/physical/Documents/Guide 5-Physical Readiness Test.pdf
    Hope this helps.
    moesis wrote: »
    My advice, run, and run, and run, and run. Do 1 or 2 other exercises daily in addition to your run.

The military is rocket science everything is online. The Navy Nutrition & Fitness guide is available here:

http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/Graphic-Elements/PDFs/NRC-Fit-Nut-Rec-Gui-rev-1-17-13.pdf

Congratulations! I'm sure you will all serve your country well.

Just read through these out of curiosity, and the information in these are great. I may have downloaded these for myself. I'm afraid I can't join the American Navy as I'm English, but I really appreciate the info! :)
    The Physical Readiness Test is a great bench mark for me to aim for.