Exercise bike - Help, advice, guidance

Options
Started trying to loose weight.
Was using a dancing dvd but was not convinced of how many calories I was burning.

After many years of me wanting an exercise bike other half started on here, lost more weight than me in a shorter time :s and bought an exercise bike!

Anyway I have been using it, I like how the calorie loss seems more real, but it seems about 10% out compared to a 'thingy' on line and 50% out to the info stored on here :/

ANYWAY
My main problem is literally a pain in the bottom, yes I get tired but often its the pain the seat is causing which makes me give up :-(
1) Any help with the pain in the bottom, use of the seat - most appreciated
(Unfortunately I suffer with piles and really worried about making those worse and irriversable)
(I also think that ironically as I loose weight it may be worse as there will be less padding there lol!)
2) if people have found what is best for them, just time at it, calorie burns or if its high intensity that has helped them shift more weight
3) For those that put on something to watch whilst doing this, any suggestions that distracts well ... I have a feeling comedy helps to peddle faster and something sad makes it harder lol!
4) Anyone know if you build up muscle strength rather than fat loss as its a while now since I lost any weight and have dramatically upped calories used (at this point I have no interest in distance, or time just calories lost).
5) how long after do you still burn calories, is it best NOT to eat for a set amount of time after to continue that or does it not make any difference?

Anything else that will help me most appreciated :smiley:

Replies

• prestigio
    prestigio Posts: 181 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    1. Try cycling shorts, they have extra padding to cushion the seat.
    2. I go by a set amount of time and try to have the calories burned / distance cycled somewhat similar.
    3. I like reading (e-)books while on a stationary bike.
    4. To build muscle you need and increased muscle stimulus over time. Strength training will do this much more efficiënt compared to a stationary bike (ofcourse you will gain some strength in the beginning, though it is minimal due to the high amount of reptitions (rotations)) .
    5. Shouldn't matter over the long run. As long as your calorie balance for the day (or week when looking for longer terms) is correct.
  • nicola8989
    nicola8989 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    1. You can buy padded cycling shorts that are a great help - you can also buy gel saddles. You do get used to it though - I used to put a cushion on my old one that had a really horrible seat.
    2. Have a look online at interval training and HIIT - they are the best ways to lose weight/burn calories
    3. I read a book/magazine - doing intervals does make the time go quicker

For 4 and 5 I'm not really sure - I would advise eating afterwards though I don't really think it makes a difference when you eat.
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Started trying to loose weight.
    Was using a dancing dvd but was not convinced of how many calories I was burning.

After many years of me wanting an exercise bike other half started on here, lost more weight than me in a shorter time :s and bought an exercise bike!

Anyway I have been using it, I like how the calorie loss seems more real, but it seems about 10% out compared to a 'thingy' on line and 50% out to the info stored on here :/

ANYWAY
    My main problem is literally a pain in the bottom, yes I get tired but often its the pain the seat is causing which makes me give up :-(
    1) Any help with the pain in the bottom, use of the seat - most appreciated
    (Unfortunately I suffer with piles and really worried about making those worse and irriversable)
    (I also think that ironically as I loose weight it may be worse as there will be less padding there lol!)
    2) if people have found what is best for them, just time at it, calorie burns or if its high intensity that has helped them shift more weight
    3) For those that put on something to watch whilst doing this, any suggestions that distracts well ... I have a feeling comedy helps to peddle faster and something sad makes it harder lol!
    4) Anyone know if you build up muscle strength rather than fat loss as its a while now since I lost any weight and have dramatically upped calories used (at this point I have no interest in distance, or time just calories lost).
    5) how long after do you still burn calories, is it best NOT to eat for a set amount of time after to continue that or does it not make any difference?

Anything else that will help me most appreciated :smiley:

I use the recumbent bike because a regular exercise bike kills my legs and my butt. I can also go faster on the recumbent bike which makes me feel much better and like I'm doing more.

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I also use recumbent bike. Much much better on the joints and the tush. I actually has surgery 5 years for mine, best thing ever..

1) Buy padded shorts
    2) Does the bike not have a computer? You need to look up exercise calculator to get an estimate.. In out your stats and info about your workout and get an estimate. MFP over estimates some times between 40% and 50% depending on the exercise.
    3) Listen to music to get you pumping.. IMO music is energizing.
    4) and 5) Google the questions you ask about calculating calories, muscle building.. You need to decide if you want weight loss or muscle gains... In the beginning you can build muscle and strength.. but if you continue to try and build in a calorie deficit the gains will taper off.

Examples below...

http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=12971

http://livehealthy.chron.com/can-riding-stationary-bike-high-tensions-build-muscles-calves-6826.html

http://livehealthy.chron.com/calories-burned-one-hour-recumbent-bike-5347.html
  • stealth010101
    stealth010101 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Get a good pair of cycling shorts, your butt will toughen. Consider ditching the exercise bike for a real bike especially as summer is coming! Get a basic hybrid no suspension as this is pointless weight. There is no substitute for the fresh air, and dragging yourself around as well helps the calorie burn. Pick a flat route to start with and then start on some hills. You can use an app like Strava to keep track of routes and personal bests along with an estimated calorie burn.
  • onedayTHISYEAR
    onedayTHISYEAR Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    1) padded shorts etc - sounds good, don't know if I want a tough bottom lol!! - thank you
    2) guess its just experiment
    (I know questions can be misunderstood, I was trying to ask if people have lost more weight just going for calories used, over a certain amount of time/distance OR if people have lost more weight by intensive, for X seconds, calm down and repeat)
    3) thanks probably comedy programmes for me to take away and distract, would be nice to come to the end of them and hardly realise the time had flown lol!
    4)I know questions can be misunderstood
    - I have been working for me very hard at this but not lost any weight for a while, so I was wondering if my body was building leg muscles rather than getting rid of the fat I want to loose. All the extra calories burnt must be coming from somewhere lol!
    5) surprisingly after I have staggered off the bike to fall into a heap I have not felt as hungry as I would expect so wondering if its good to push not eating as long as possible.

We struggled to fit in the bike we have now so the larger space ones are a no no for us.
    Again no where for a bicycle to fit and not a chance of me going on the roads... tooooo scary. For me I would not get as far on the roads as .... hummm too scary and stressful.

I take my hat off to those who do though! How those who do it for fun do it, no idea lol

For anyone reading this considering an exercise bike what I do love is being able to pop on for 15 mins or so with no fuss. 2 mins or less to get ready (time on) and 5 mins or so to go back to what you need to do. (the fuss of going to (a gym) and changing and the reverse has never ever interested me and just does not fit into the limited time I have.)

I have heard it is not the ideal but doing however long before bed, is psychologically beneficial! :smiley:

Thanks for the answers and support :blush:
  • onedayTHISYEAR
    Options
    ps I have a stone and chisel type of phone - no apps for me lol!
  • harrisdeutsch
    harrisdeutsch Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you are gym members , try a cycle class.

• onedayTHISYEAR
    Options
    ok NOT happy

Went to Aldi and discovered they were selling the gel seats so bought one, but too small, but managed to use it anyway.
    Unfortunately as I worried my piles are now so bad a struggle to sit due to the pain/discomfort. I know its not the best of subjects but I cant be the only one that has ever had this problem. So so miffed that I find a way to use up LOTS of calories and now have hit a brick wall!
    (I will ignore the fact that all the hours I cycled I lost 0.4 of a lb!!! legs look a LOT better though lol)

I have been doing a lot, as I have a feeling that I am at a difficult patch (just not loosing even though lots of scling and not too much food) and determined to beat it rather than give in and now this where I struggle to sit! Trying to see if I can use it standing up and at least keep something up whilst my bottom has a rest and tries to get better.

Anyone have any real knowledge of this and how long I cant cycle for it?

:/:/