Three square meals or being able to graze all day?

Options

Replies

• annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    The more times I can eat, the better... I like food lol. Major grazer here
  • steph79sm
    steph79sm Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I feel best when I eat 100-200 calories at least every 2 hrs, trying to start off each day with high protein, low carbs.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I prefer 5-6 smaller meals, at least during the week. Works better for me. I tend to eat larger, less frequent meals on the weekend.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    3 meals, dessert, snack if I have the time and calories. A lot of it is dependent on my work/school schedule as well...there have been days where I have to eat lunch at 10:15 in the morning, work from 11-5, eat something (Quest bar or jerky) at 5 on my drive between work and school, then dinner when I get home at 8:30.
  • APeacefulWarrior
    APeacefulWarrior Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses - it just goes to show that there is no one "right" way! Good luck to everyone <3:)
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    It depends. There are some days when I have 3 big meals, and some days where I snack throughout the day. When I'm at work I tend to snack...I'm a teacher so will eat something at break (10:30) like a quest bar, then something at lunch (13:20) like some rice cakes and an apple, then I'll have dinner later, and possibly have a small evening snack. I usually have quite a big breakfast, but I have to eat breakfast quite early.
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    It's kind of difficult to remove the deeply ingrained idea of three full balanced meals a day, but I think 2- 3 large meals a day work better for me than 4+ small meals/snacks.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Dinner is my family meal and it is 90% of the time my largest meal of day..

I plan the rest of my calories for a moderate breakfast (or mid morning meal after exercise) with the same number of calories for lunch. If I get hungry I readjust to fit in a snack.. I like to spread out all my calories within 3 meals and a snack basically..
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I'm a grazer! I have quite a hectic work and social life, so planning meals is just a waste of time as I never get to eat when I want, and most of the time I'm 'eating on the go'. So long as I eat when I'm hungry, choose healthy options and make sure I'm logging everything, it seems to work fine.

I don't tend to do breakfast, usually first eat around late morning/brunch time. Then 'lunch' can be anywhere between midday and 4pm, usually spread out over those hours. Although I usually eat dinner with my boyfriend so that is my one 'consistent' meal, and that is usually eaten between 6pm and 9pm, although I try not to eat too late as I hate going to bed feeling too full.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I'm somewhere in between, but it also depends on the day. If it's a thursday I'm at university all day and I'll have a snack about 11, lunch at 1, then sometimes another snack at 6, then dinner at 8 when I finally get home. Any other day I don't eat until about 1, then have a snack at 4, then have dinner at 6, then another snack about 9. Though some days I won't eat until 4 then I'll consume most of my calories in dinner and snacks.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    2 meals, rarely a snack. Simple and effective for me
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Usually 2 big meals for me.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i eat when im hungry.

sometimes thats 4 small meals

sometimes 2 big meals

sometimes 6 small meals

sometimes 3 normal meals

i listen to my body....
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    the 2 meals a day people right on, nice to know its not just me. My meals are breakfast/ whenever i get round to eating and my evening meal which has most of the calories. Lunch is the one thats gone out of the window for me.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I would like to do both. :wink:
    (Can't imagine why I got fat?)

But my days vary from:
    3 even sized meals plus snacks
    2 large meals plus snacks
    2 small meals no snacks
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    the 2 meals a day people right on, nice to know its not just me. My meals are breakfast/ whenever i get round to eating and my evening meal which has most of the calories. Lunch is the one thats gone out of the window for me.

This is so much me usually... A breakfast/lunch type thing and a big dinner... sometimes wine and dessert.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I like to eat, I love food, almost every food, but I've also learnt to like to stop eating and feel that I have eaten, that I am satisfied, and knowing that I have got what I needed. So, meals works best for me. I don't like the stuffed feeling I grew up with being the norm, so I portion out what I'll be eating and eat that; if I don't feel satisfied, I wait for the feeling to come, and it always does. I aim for 5 meals a day, but sometimes I end up with 3, 4 or 6. Appetite varies, maybe depending on what I eat, haven't been able to recognize a pattern yet. Dinner is usually the largest meal, but not always. Sometimes I'll have dessert, but not always. Sometimes I'll have something inbetween, planned or unplanned, but not every day.
  • cocolattes
    cocolattes Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I try to wait until I am starving to eat in the morning. So my Breakfast has gone out the window. I prefer 2 bigger meals because it works better for me and makes me feel full. For example, Today I work till 12 then will go to town, do my own oil change, and then probably eat around 2-3. Then I eat again around 7 and feel full until I go to bed. I drink water all morning to calm it down and my body is getting used to it.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I like less frequent, large meals. More frequent small meals leaves me hungry. Currently on maintenance so four equal sized meals works out nicely for me. If I was cutting, it'd be three good sized meals and something more akin to a snack at the end of the day. When I'm on bulking calories, I'd probably fit a snack between the four large meals rather than increase the size of what I already eat.
  • toriraeh
    toriraeh Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I usually eat 3 meals and an afternoon snack because I never know when my husband will be home for dinner and I try to wait for him. Breakfast and lunch are small-ish... Between 150-250 and dinner is usually anywhere from 500-700. I'm eating 1320 right now so a snack will usually be all I have left in the afternoon or evening.