Do you eat right after working out?

Options
tusher2011
tusher2011 Posts: 201 Member
I have heard that you should eat w/in an hour of working out. My problem is, I wake up at 5:30 to go to the gym, come home by 7:00, shower, wake the kids and get them ready for school. By the time I am back from the bus stop, it's 8:30...which is when I eat. Is that ok? Is it hurting me to eat later?

When do you guys eat after working out?

Replies

• mandysjourney
    mandysjourney Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I try to eat at least something within the hour of working out. Could you eat breakfast with the kids?
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein shake while i get ready, multitasking is the only way i get it in within an hour of working out.
  • CCJ13
    CCJ13 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I eat something, even if it's just some almonds. I try to finish my workout right about the time the kids get up so I just eat something quick & then eat after I get them to school.
  • kriots
    kriots Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I have heard that you should eat w/in an hour of working out. My problem is, I wake up at 5:30 to go to the gym, come home by 7:00, shower, wake the kids and get them ready for school. By the time I am back from the bus stop, it's 8:30...which is when I eat. Is that ok? Is it hurting me to eat later?

When do you guys eat after working out?

YES, you must eat after working out. anything with high protien. take a protien shake with you, or a protien bar, string cheese, you get the point. just something for your body to recover
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Your body is primed to reload muscles with glycogen for the next workout during that first 60 minutes post-exercise. I've read that this ability can drop by as much as 66% after that time.

I have the same problem with my AM schedule, I've countered this by drinking a quick glass of chocolate milk/light Silk when I don't have time to eat. That's enough of a carb/protein intake to help you out without killing your calories!!
  • kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Yeah I eat within 30min-1hr after working out. I was going to mention a protein shake or even a protein bar. Pure Protein has good bars with 20g protein, low sugar, and low fat (for a protein bar). Most are 200cal or less, which is hard to find in a protein bar with that much protein in them. (I said "protein" a LOT just then. Haha!!)
  • ltf304
    ltf304 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Yes, its very important to eat after you work out. You can make a protein shake which takes about 2 minutes to drink. I make one and drink it in the car. My protein shake is 1 scoop of whey protein, cup of almond milk, and 1/4 cup of rolled oats. You can also put some peanut butter on a piece of whole grain bread and also have some greek yogurt with it. There are many quick options that only take a minute or so. I drive 45 minutes to work after I hit the gym so all of my eating is in the car. :)
  • Kanzaki3
    Kanzaki3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I usually drink a protein shake after my morning workout.
  • hooma
    hooma Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I agree with previous posters, drink a protein shake!
  • Ervie317
    Ervie317 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I schedule my workouts so that they land within and hour and half max of my scheduled eating time. I can't eat right after I workout out because I am just not hungry and when i workout hard I am afraid it would make me feel icky so I like to wait until at least a half an hour after I work out.
  • FL_Nettie
    FL_Nettie Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem but at night. When I get home from the gym it's usually after 8pm and I don't feel like eating a meal. Like other people have said, I try to do a protein shake and add some fruit to it. I've read that chocolate milk is also good after exercising.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    The reason behind this is that your body is more receptive to certain nutrients for a short period of time after your workout, primarily protein. So ingesting a source of protein along with a simple carb (this helps get the protein to your muscles faster) can help increase your training results.

Will this impact your fat loss in any significant way, no not really, but it can affect your training performance.
  • tusher2011
    tusher2011 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    looks like i'll have to look into protein shakes! what kind do you guys drink.recommend?

also, so after drinking the shake...you still have a proper breakfast afterwards, later on?
  • Ervie317
    Ervie317 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I usually have mine after I get home from the gym as my post workout meal since other food never sounds as good. I have used GNC pro amp and Muscle milk light in chocolate. The muscle milk light is a little higher in calories but richer in taste.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    looks like i'll have to look into protein shakes! what kind do you guys drink.recommend?

also, so after drinking the shake...you still have a proper breakfast afterwards, later on?

My morning:

5:00 AM - Pre-workout: 16oz of water
    5:30 AM - Workout: 60 minutes
    7:00 AM - Post-workout: (at work) Protein shake ( I drink the ready-to-drink Muscle Milk because it tastes good warm and is easy to throw in my gym bag)
    9:00 AM – Breakfast/Snack (usually hard boiled eggs, yogurt w/ granola and fruit, or cottage cheese)

This is my routine every M/W/F
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I'm currently working out on the elliptical 5:20-5:55pm (plus an hour of walking daily) so I eat dinner afterwards before 7:00pm.

I have my protein shake w/ ½ a frozen banana and ½ cup skim milk + water/ice in it as a dessert by 8:00.
  • GameOn2011
    GameOn2011 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I love Pure Protien, Frosty Chocolate.
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Throw some protein powder in your water bottle! I use The Biggest Loser blueberry powder or Special K. Sometimes I use the P90X powder, but I don't like it as much as the others.

The protein shake is good, too. If I have a shake, I do not eat breakfast as it should have pretty good nutrition in it. If I just drink the powder, then I have a good breakfast.
  • seventeenlucky77
    seventeenlucky77 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    IF I workout at lunch I generally try to eat my lunch early so it has time to settle and then when I get back I usually cool down with a yogurt and when I went at night I usually made sure I went before dinner.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    A perfect post workout snack would be a greek yogurt or a protein bar or shake if you're lacking for time.