Cream Cheese

Options
Machka9
Machka9 Posts: 25,215 Member
I have cream cheese in the fridge. It expires mid-May, so I need to do something with it.

Back before I went on this diet adventure, I had in mind that I would make a cheesecake. But of course, cheesecake is not low-cal.

So here's my question ... what can I do with cream cheese that is still relatively low cal? I need recipe ideas!!

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I use it in mashed potato, or spread on crackers with smoked salmon, or on toast, or in celery...
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    But I also make cheesecake :D It freezes well! You could make cupcake sized ones and fit them into your calories!
  • Machka9
    edited April 2015
    Options
    But I also make cheesecake :D It freezes well! You could make cupcake sized ones and fit them into your calories!

That's an idea. :)

I'll have to research some recipes. I've never made cheesecake ... it was meant to be an experiment ... and see if I can find some that are lower cal than others.

• bmlose50
    bmlose50 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Jalapeño Popper Chicken

http://ellysaysopa.com/2012/07/24/jalapeno-popper-chicken/

However, my preference would be to have it on an everything bagel with some smoked sockeye salmon.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Unfortunately bagels are a bit high in calories. They're also not particularly popular here.

I'm thinking of some sort of sweet bite-sized snack. :)
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    You can cut the recipe into thirds. Of course you can top with any fruit you like.
    soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/02/mardi-gras-cheesecake-muffins.html

Mardi+Gras+Cheesecake+Muffins+2.JPG
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I'd just eat it. Weigh it, log it, and have it however you'd like -- on graham crackers with honey or jam? Yes. On bagels (or bagel thins, or English muffins, or whatever you find appropriate) with smoked salmon and capers? Definitely yes. Whipped in the mixer with a drop or two of vanilla and some chocolate pudding? YES MA'AM. Little dabs baked into phyllo dough with tomatoes and herbs? Yeeeeeeees please.

There's nothing wrong with just making the cheesecake, working out what size portion you can fit into your day, and having that portion every single day, either. :)
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Personally, I spread an ounce of cream cheese (or, rather, a 28g packet) on a pair of graham crackers for a 200 calorie dessert treat. I add some jam if I have a few more calories and feel like it.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Personally, I spread an ounce of cream cheese (or, rather, a 28g packet) on a pair of graham crackers for a 200 calorie dessert treat. I add some jam if I have a few more calories and feel like it.

I have done this. Yum!
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I also spread the contents of a 28g packet on a Wasa crispbread cracker, and top with one of the following: veggies, turkey breast, deli ham, roast beef, apple slices, sliced strawberries, tomato slices, hard boiled egg. Feel free to combine. ;)
  • 4flamingoz
    4flamingoz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I have cream cheese in the fridge. It expires mid-May, so I need to do something with it.

Back before I went on this diet adventure, I had in mind that I would make a cheesecake. But of course, cheesecake is not low-cal.

So here's my question ... what can I do with cream cheese that is still relatively low cal? I need recipe ideas!!

I take cream cheese, dried cranberries and mix them together. Take a chicken breast, pound it flat, and season with s & p, take cream cheese mixture and put it on the chicken and roll it. Wrap bacon around it and cook it till the juices run clear-30-40 min. Outrageously good!
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I mix cream cheese and salsa to use as the sauce for my vegetable pizzas. Spread out crescent rolls onto the bottom of a cookie sheet and bake,top with cream cheese/salsa sauce and fresh raw veggies and devour. You could also use it as a spread for a chicken wrap.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Bagels or a creamy casserole would be my savory preferences. For sweets, I like cream cheese sugar cookies, mini cheesecake bites, cream cheese frosting, etc
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I mix it into marinara sauce to make a "pink sauce" or I add it into a saute of zucchini noodles/veg with some adobo for an "alfredo." I also like to mix it into vegetables, leftover taco meat, etc. Anything that can have cheese and can be creamy can stand to have cream cheese added into it.
  • mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Half a whole wheat bagel with 1tbsp cream cheese, 2 oz smoked salmon, red onion and capers. <300 calories but is filling, nutritious and tastes soooo good!
  • Machka9
    Options
    I've never used cream cheese as a spread ... don't even know what it tastes like.

I bought two tubs of the stuff on sale back in January ... one became cream cheese icing for a delicious and very high-cal carrot cake ... which is part of the reason why I'm here. :) The other was supposed to become cheesecake. But then I signed on here.

I've done some research and I have found recipes that indicate I could mix it with Cool Whip, a bit of sugar (or Stevia?), and some flavouring ... drop it into cupcake papers, chill to set ... and then freeze them. That sounds perfect except for the fact that I've never seen Cool Whip here in Australia.

So ... I might need a substitute. Can I, for example, use low cal vanilla yogurt?

Keeping in mind here that I don't cook, and I have no idea what I'm doing. :)

• Machka9
    Options
    I made mini-cheesecakes!! :)

I found an easy recipe, made some modifications to it, and each little cheesecake came to 82 cal.

Incidentally, I tasted the cream cheese when I was making the cheesecakes ... just a teensy, tiny dab ... and yuck! It tasted like lard. I just can't imagine wanting to use it as a spread by itself, you'd have to add something to it ... a lot of spice or something.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm late to the party, but why would you have needed a recipe? You could have bought a box of crackers and had 1/2 an ounce of cream cheese with two crackers each day until it was gone. Boom. Problem solved.
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I've never used cream cheese as a spread ... don't even know what it tastes like.

It seems like this would have been the ideal opportunity for you to try it.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Slice up toasted/or non-toasted rye bread into cracker size pieces, spread cream cheese, top with a thin slice of cucumber, sprinkle dill over everything and refrigerate overnight to let everything soak in. Best snack
  • Machka9
    edited May 2015
    Options
    minizebu wrote: »
    It seems like this would have been the ideal opportunity for you to try it.

I did ... and as I mentioned in the post above yours, it was horrible. Tasted like lard. (Yes, I've tasted lard. I used to make pies quite frequently with lard.) I cannot imagine wanting to eat the stuff on a cracker ... unless maybe it was heavily spiced to disguise the lard flavour.

I was even a little bit put off by the smell of it when I was making the cheesecakes, and hoped that they wouldn't taste like what I was smelling. Thankfully ... they didn't. They taste great. :)