Since I started following the rules....

Options
kim_mc
kim_mc Posts: 321 Member
So I was steadily losing weight before I ever even thought about eating back exercise calories. Before I found this website. I wrote down all my food and added it all up. The weight came off no problem and every week the scale went down down down.

Since I started eating back exercise calories the scale has been at a standstill (over 2 months). My husband does not eat his exercise cals back either and is steadily losing.

Not eating my exercise cals back would give me quite a large defecit, I know. But what gives??? I have increased cals to lose 1/2lb a week and am truly getting mad that I cannot lose another stinking pound. I am 5 away from my goal weight. I even ramped up the workout routine and did the INSANITY program start to finish with zero weight loss...

Anybody have any input here?? It sure is welcome!

Replies

• kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Have you lost inches? I have a hard time not focusing on the scale (we all do), but I have been focusing more on how my clothes fit lately. My scale hasn't moved in a while, but my clothes are looser. If you're gaining muscle that could be why the scale hasn't moved, but if you're losing inches then that's what matters most. Plus, it's always easier for men to lose, I hate that!! haha! You're drinking a lot of water and eating really clean? Stay away from as much processed food as you can.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    the closer you get to your goal weight the harder it is for the weight to come off. Even though you are eating back your exercise calories, you have also increased your work out intensity it seems and your metabolism has probably picked up to...for this reason you probably still aren't eating enough calories. Try adding some more calories for two weeks and see what happens. you can also try zig-zagging to further confuse your metabolism; its great for trying to get off a plateau or lose stubborn pounds!
  • amsecord
    amsecord Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    How close are you to your target size (waist, hips, pant size, whatever). Five pounds give or take isn't that big of a deal if you look the way you want to. Remember, as you replace fat with muscle you body becomes more dense. So you get smaller, but stay the same weight (or a little more).
  • Singergirl88
    Options
    I do not eat back my exercise cals either. I have the same situation. If I eat back my exercise cals then I gain or maintain but if I don't then I lose. My mom on the other hand is the opposite. If she eats the exercise cals back then she loses if she doesn't then she maintains. I think it is different for each person. I took a week or so to try eating back all the exercise cals that I burned off and that whole week I was at a stand still. The next week when I went back to not eating them back I lost like crazy. I am not however only 5 pounds away from my goal, I am about 80 pounds away, but they say the closer you get to your goal weight then the harder it is going to be to take it off. I wish you luck with losing. I would say stick to what works for you.
  • KatyLynn01
    KatyLynn01 Posts: 19
    Options
    I don't eat my exercise cals back. I just make sure that what I eat for the day is over what they tell me to net, and full of healthy stuff. Then after I exercise I eat something- like a cup of cottage cheese with protein, but not as much as I burn off. Its working for me. Good luck!
  • kim_mc
    Options
    Have you lost inches? I have a hard time not focusing on the scale (we all do), but I have been focusing more on how my clothes fit lately. My scale hasn't moved in a while, but my clothes are looser. If you're gaining muscle that could be why the scale hasn't moved, but if you're losing inches then that's what matters most. Plus, it's always easier for me to lose, I hate that!! haha! You're drinking a lot of water and eating really clean? Stay away from as much processed food as you can.

I just finished Insanity last Sunday and took measurements and it was only fractions of an inch all over. So I really don't know if that even counts since you never really know if you are measuring EXACTLY the same every time....
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    How close are you to your target size (waist, hips, pant size, whatever). Five pounds give or take isn't that big of a deal if you look the way you want to. Remember, as you replace fat with muscle you body becomes more dense. So you get smaller, but stay the same weight (or a little more).

Very good point. Muscle does NOT weight more than fat, it is more DENSE therefore takes up less space. This could be the cause. During my journey, there were times that I knew I was losing inches but the scale did not budge. It is hard to not focus on that number, but like pp post, how do your clothes fit? Measurements might be a better indicater or overall progress. I wish I had measured when I started.
  • kim_mc
    Options

I feel like I have lost the "weight" but don't look thin or anything. There is nothing toned about my body at all. granted I have had 3 kids and have never been in great shape, but I have seen people with kids looking great and I guess my ultimate goal is to actually look toned, fit, and firm!! Do I just keep working out and it will slowly get there or am I always going to have a layer of "pudge" all over???
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    My guess is that you're overestimating your calorie burn while exercising...seems to be a typical problem with people hitting plateaus.

Cut your exercise calories in half for a couple of weeks and see what happens.

Put it this way, I do pretty intense execise (Crossfit, which is heavy weights, full out cardio, no stopping) and I burn 8-10 calories a minute. Someone who is walking on a treadmill or doing an exercise video isn't going to burn more than that and probably half that. (not saying you, saying people in general)

Try it!
  • kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Egads!! I just saw a mistype in my initial response to you and it made me sound conceited!! I didn't mean it's easier for ME to lose...I meant easier for MEN to lose!!! Haha! Sorry about that.
  • kim_mc
    Options
    My guess is that you're overestimating your calorie burn while exercising...seems to be a typical problem with people hitting plateaus.

Cut your exercise calories in half for a couple of weeks and see what happens.

Put it this way, I do pretty intense execise (Crossfit, which is heavy weights, full out cardio, no stopping) and I burn 8-10 calories a minute. Someone who is walking on a treadmill or doing an exercise video isn't going to burn more than that and probably half that. (not saying you, saying people in general)

Try it!

Thanks- I will give it a try. I have been using my HRM for exercise calories but it could be high!!
  • kim_mc
    Options
    Egads!! I just saw a mistype in my initial response to you and it made me sound conceited!! I didn't mean it's easier for ME to lose...I meant easier for MEN to lose!!! Haha! Sorry about that.

HAHA!! I figured that's what you meant!! I don't think anyone thought you meant 'me'!!!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ HRM's tend to be wrong a lot, what really works is playing with your calories a couple weeks here, a couple weeks there, and adjusting as necessary because everyone is different!