Using Pully Weights Instead of Free Weights

Options
lilRicki
lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
Is this going to be detrimental to my goal? I hate free weights, I don't feel stable enough, plus all the juice monkeys at the gym take up the free weights AND the mirrors. I make sure that I work different muscles for each machine, I usually do 3 different machines for arms and back, and 3 different machines for legs...making sure my resistance is high enough that I can barely make it through the 3rd set of 10. Plus 30 minutes on the elypticall (I split it up and do 20 minutes, than weights, lower back, abs, then the last 10 minutes)...What do you think? is it ok to stay on the machines or should I suck it up and squeeze in with the beef cakes and do some free weights?

Replies

• dieseljay74
    dieseljay74 Posts: 376
    Options
    They are totally fine...as long as you are challenging your muscles to make sure that last rep or two is hard to comlete you will get results all the same.
  • Hernandezedw
    Hernandezedw Posts: 284
    Options
    I think it's just a personal preference. Machines should be fine.
  • sociable15
    sociable15 Posts: 98
    Options
    it is better than nothing. however, whenever there are women getting started in weight training and considering going to free weights, I recommend this site to them:
    http://www.stumptuous.com/

Love it. She is VERY cool. I know I have heard a lot of misinformation about women's weight training over the years and been scared out of the free weight area a lot by, usually well-intentioned, gym rats. But I gained a lot of confidence reading this site so I didn't look totally lost. :-)
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    You are moving and doing strength work. it doesn't matter if you use pully or free weights. After you increase your strength though, you may want to occasionally throw in the free weights. They do help you develop the stablizing muscles. But for now, do what will keep you motivated to keep going. (just remember to challenge yourself!):flowerforyou:
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I use the pulley kind weight is weight
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    lilrick, I think youre donig the right thing using the weight strength machines. I use ones that are dedicated to bi ceps, on one day, then ones that are dedicated to triceps and legs the next, and then core the next.......after I finish, I try to do at least 30 - 45 mins of cardio

I just now am changing, Im plateauing, so I want to focus more on strength training, less on cardio......The free weights are a plus, lots of information lately about the continuous burning of calories after you leave the gym., but again, Im not a teacher, it seems to be , for me, the right thing to do.......Lloyd
  • lanerichardson
    Options
    I don't think doing just machines will be detremintal but at the same time you wont work some of the stabilizer muscles that you would with free weights. I also think you wont be as able to do as much weight on free weights as you would on a machine because your also using those same stabilizer muscles as well. I'm no trainer but thats what I think from the research I have done about exercising. I would say try and use as many free weights as you can but don't put yourself in an uncomfortable position with the beef cakes. I still use some of the machines when I can't get to the free wieghts myself. Hope this helps.
  • Evlinqbus
    Evlinqbus Posts: 2
    Options
    Same as what they others are saying, it's personal preference. The biggest advantage with free weights is that your body uses the tiny muscles and the other zones to stabilize yourself. You get a bigger overall body workout with free weights. Machines advantage is to be able to isolate muscles or muscle groups. But, honestly, resistance training is still better than nothing!
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    As someone who used to lift a lot of weights, I'll try to give my POV.

Basically, lifting weights works like this:

To get the best benefits, you need to at least be lifting enough so that the muscles you are targeting primarily are near the point of failure at no more than 15 reps (for your first set). if you can do more than 15 reps straight, your weights typically aren't heavy enough. Note I said NEAR failure. If you are having trouble stabilizing that much, you need to drop your weights down, or use a machine. Keep in mind if you do not have control with free weights, you could easily hurt yourself.

Now, using a machine has pluses and minuses. Your results will typically be much less on a machine, because free-weights force you to balance, and that triggers a whole ton of other muscles, and plus helps you with learning balance and control.

Bottom line: If you can safely use free weights, I strongly recommend them. If you cannot, than a machine might be a better option, but will not show as much results.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    Is this going to be detrimental to my goal? I hate free weights, I don't feel stable enough, plus all the juice monkeys at the gym take up the free weights AND the mirrors. I make sure that I work different muscles for each machine, I usually do 3 different machines for arms and back, and 3 different machines for legs...making sure my resistance is high enough that I can barely make it through the 3rd set of 10. Plus 30 minutes on the elypticall (I split it up and do 20 minutes, than weights, lower back, abs, then the last 10 minutes)...What do you think? is it ok to stay on the machines or should I suck it up and squeeze in with the beef cakes and do some free weights?

You will never “feel stable” if you don’t use free weights because machines will not train the stabilizer muscles. Machines isolate your muscles but In the real world you don’t use your muscles in isolation, they all work together. Free weights train all of your muscles together. The squat, for example, works every muscle in your body all at the same time.

So in short no, your results will not be the same. A person that can squat 300lbs and a person that can only use the leg press machine at 300lbs will look and perform (in the real world) completely different.
  • kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think you should do both. Do machines one week and free weights the next. Keep your muscles "confused". The fact that you don't feel stable is really working your muscles. That's why it's good for free weights because it makes you use more muscle to keep steady and good form. You may have to use less weight with the free weights, but the most important thing is keep it slow and steady and use proper form. It's intimidating for women usually because of the guys in the weight rooms, but I think women should definitely spend more time in there. This is something I'm trying to work on...not paying attention to the dudes in there. lol
    Also, as far as your cardio goes, you could warm up for 5-10 minutes before strength training, but you should keep all of your cardio lumped together, in my opinion. You need to keep your heart rate up for longer than that. Even 30 minutes of cardio only gives you about 20-25 minutes in the fat burning range because of warm up and cool down time. I do my strength training first because that elevates my heart rate a little, then I do my cardio. That way I don't have to warm up on the elliptical, bike, or whatever I'm doing that day (I like to switch it up) so I get the full benefit of the cardio time. Make sense?
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    it is better than nothing. however, whenever there are women getting started in weight training and considering going to free weights, I recommend this site to them:
    http://www.stumptuous.com/

Love it. She is VERY cool. I know I have heard a lot of misinformation about women's weight training over the years and been scared out of the free weight area a lot by, usually well-intentioned, gym rats. But I gained a lot of confidence reading this site so I didn't look totally lost. :-)

Completely agree!!! The site is great! I found a great beginners routine that I just started this week and the information on the site gave me the information to have the confidence to go into the free weight section and just do my thing.

One other change that I would suggest is to reverse the order of your workout. Do your 10 minute light cardio warmup, then hit the weights, then finish off with your 20 mins of harder cardio.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Relying on the machines is fine. Personally, I prefer the free weights. I find that having to balance and stabilize dumbells, barbells and kettlebells adds to the strength training. I have a couple of suggestions though:

1. Start working in the free weights into your routine, but go for the lower weight dumbbells. The local gym rats (aka juice monkeys) will be going for the 40's and 50's. If you work with 5's, 10's and 15's (more reps), you'll build up your balance and stability. As long as you're putting in an honest effort, the gym rats will give you respect and make room for you. And if they don't, make them share space! You have free weight rights too!

2. I wouldn't break up the elliptical session. Do the entire 30 in one session. I read somewhere (can't remember where), that you don't start to hit aerobic effectiveness until about the 20 minute mark.
  • lilRicki
    Options
    thanx guys...I like the idea of doing free weights every other week. I need some serious core training in order to be more stable.
  • End6ame
    Options
    juice monkeys

Ok, so I wasn’t going to say anything because I am not the type of person to get offended (and I am not offended) but I see a double standard here. If I were to call all of the people on the machines and recumbent bikes weak blobs, I would be crucified for being “judgmental”, but juice monkeys is ok?

So my wife (5’1’’ 120lbs) who only lifts free weights and squats and deadlifts more than her body weight would be a juice monkey to you? It is easy to criticize the people that train harder, are more dedicated, and get better results.
  • kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    juice monkeys

Ok, so I wasn’t going to say anything because I am not the type of person to get offended (and I am not offended) but I see a double standard here. If I were to call all of the people on the machines and recumbent bikes weak blobs, I would be crucified for being “judgmental”, but juice monkeys is ok?

So my wife (5’1’’ 120lbs) who only lifts free weights and squats and deadlifts more than her body weight would be a juice monkey to you? It is easy to criticize the people that train harder, are more dedicated, and get better results.

I think more was read into that statement than what was intended. I'm sure she didn't mean every single person in there was a juice monkey, but there ARE some in there so give her a break. lol
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    You won't have the "hardcore ripped" look, but if your balance isn't good machines will likely prevent you from seriously injuring something (and *permanently* keeping you from having the ripped look). Think about the long-term on this one.
  • lilRicki
    Options
    juice monkeys

I think more was read into that statement than what was intended. I'm sure she didn't mean every single person in there was a juice monkey, but there ARE some in there so give her a break. lol

jesus no doubt...you really need to get a grip buddy, not everybody is out to get you! Do you know where I work out? do you see the people that I see, over hear them talking about the new steroid they got shipped across the border? I could give a rats crap what your wife does, or how she looks...get over yourself
  • End6ame
    Options
    juice monkeys

jesus no doubt...you really need to get a grip buddy, not everybody is out to get you! Do you know where I work out? do you see the people that I see, over hear them talking about the new steroid they got shipped across the border? I could give a rats crap what your wife does, or how she looks...get over yourself

As I said, I am not offended, I just see a double standard.

Additionally, while I don’t condone the use of steroids, there is popular misconception that they are a shortcut, when in fact, the use of steroids requires even more hard work and dedication. The major benefit to steroids is that they allow you to recover faster so that you can continue to work out at a higher intensity, but it is still 100% work.

Education goes a long way over stereotypes.
  • lilRicki
    Options
    don't condone steroids on my thread...go hijack someone else's with your pathetic attempt at educating someone