do you log on your vacation?

Options
I've been doing do well for the last 10 days and have lost 8 pounds, but I am so nervous that I will gain it back on our upcoming vacation to kauai this week. We will be eating out every single meal and since it's a "work" trip, most nights will be an open bar. I'm seriously stressing over this amazing trip.. do you guys have a golden rule when your on vacation? I know how easy it is to screw up and I don't want to snow ball out of control when I'm out there and have to restart all over again when I come back again. Tips please! :\

Replies

• suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I've gone on a few vacations since I started on MFP including last week. I try and log, eat as healthy as I can without feeling like I'm totally deprived. In Hawaii you will have tons of fresh fruit and good fish to choose from, I would try and enjoy those types of things when possible. Drink lots of water, be as active as you can and enjoy the trip! I logged last week for 2 days, didn't log for the other 2, the scale initially showed a 4 lb gain but I'm sure it was water retention from eating, drinking, and flying...happens every time!

I got back Saturday night and as of this morning (2 days of perfect eating and logging later), I am up 1/2 lb from where I started before the trip.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    yes i logged my cals on vaction ... i just recently came from a vaction in north carolina where i was at they party alot eat alot drink alot of alcohol .. i was able stay under my calorie goal everyday of that vacation it lasted 5 days .. i just drinked a few beers everyday the rest was food my calorie goal is between 1200~1550 atm to lose 1 lb perweek
  • smittybobitty917
    smittybobitty917 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The best thing you can do when you eat out a lot is portion control. Just because they set it in front of you, it doesn't mean you have to eat it.

I've been known to indulge in a mocktail for work trips where it looks like I'm drinking, but I'm not. Order a club soda or a diet coke with a lime wedge. You'll have something to sip on to make you not feel left out.

If all else fails, you could always hit the reset button. Learning to pick back up good habits after indulging is a good skill to learn.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I had an office party last night I drank seltzer with lime. For some reason if I put lime in it it is assumed to be gin and tonic and I am safe from the alcohol pushers. I don't like drinking too much because it I don't want to ruin any of my fabulous short time in paradise with a hangover. Kauai - enjoy the fresh tropical fruit but keep logging. I also enjoy doing walking tours of places I vacation. With your feet on the ground or in the sand it feels more real than just doing bus tours. Enjoy - vacations and trips are meant to be savored.
  • gabylewis22
    gabylewis22 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Honestly. If I go on vacation - or 'holiday' - I let go! Sod it. I might get one or two holidays a year IF THAT - so what if I eat too much for a week. You can easily get back on it afterwards :smile: Don't panic!
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I do, because I know myself. It keeps me honest. If you go over, at least you know how much and can try to modify that behavior.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You lost 8 pounds in 10 days???!!!!

My tips on vacation: Relax and enjoy. Take a break from logging. Just be mindful of what you are eating in general and try to avoid binging. In my opinion it is a good thing for your overall success to take a break. Once you get back, resume your logging routine. No need to freak out. Remember, vacation is supposed to be vacation.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Vacation is special, enjoy it! I've been on a few in 2 1/2 years of doing this. I went from restricting myself and not having a good time to forgiving myself and taking a break! I try and be sensible at breakfast and lunch and try and move a little more (only if I feel like it) but when it comes time for dinner and drinks the gloves come off!
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I still log when I am on vacation. I write a note in the notes section as a reminder that I am on vaca.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I do as best I can. Maybe taking off a night or two. I focus on healthy choices and the other happy things that suround me on my vacation such as the sun, water, company, music, reading etc...I try not to think of food as the main focus! Have fun!
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    You know, My mom, myself and her friend all use My Fitness Pal and we are all on different parts of our journeys. We are all leaving on a week long beach trip on Friday. I've decided to not log - I'm currently maintaining a 17 lbs loss and I'm good with re-gaining a few pounds if it happens. My mom said she'd like to continue to log, her friend wants a break. All are legit decisions. But you need to know that not logging could result in a larger gain than if you did log. It's your choice.
  • cosmichvoyager
    cosmichvoyager Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I log breakfast because it's usually kind of straightforward foods (eggs, toast, etc) and then just add a rough estimate of calories. I've been doing this a while so I have an idea. I usually just maintain on vacation due to walking a lot, dancing, swimming, etc. It ends up being about even.
  • exstromn
    exstromn Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Do your best and your good habits will carry you through! Have fun on your vacation and don't sweat the small stuff:)
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I only log exercise if being on the app looking up every bite starts interfering with the actual trip. I don't want to be the person that tries to steal the spotlight from the vacation because "look at me, everyone, I'm on a diet." do small portions, drink lots of water, laugh, and have a great time. :)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I don't take vacations nearly often enough, so I sure as hell don't log on one.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Vacation for me always means more walking and such, so any extra calories get burned off quickly. I don't necessarily follow my plan as carefully while on vacation, but I do log. Mainly just to keep my mindful of what I'm putting in my mouth.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Id log everything. Just be conscientious of what you are eating. You don't have to record every little thing every single time, but try to do so when you get the chance - bathroom breaks, downtime at the hotel, etc. Theres a goo chance your scale is going to show you ugly numbers when you get back. Most "eat out" places use copious amounts of salt therefore water retention of horrific numbers. Alcohol is a high calorie thing, so open bar or not think before you drink.

It isn't about saying no, it is about moderation. Making wiser choices because simply being on vacation doesn't mean you should go hog wild. It won't kill you to let your hair down, but don't expect to be at the number youre at now if you do. Make sure you move around to keep those calories burning.

If all else fails, just enjoy yourself. Its only a week. Just don't hate the scale when you get back, come back with low expectactions and you should be just fine ;)
  • jessiruthica
    jessiruthica Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I've just been on a week-long vacation and didn't log. But I was still conscious of what I was eating and made mostly better choices. My general rule is to eat 80/20 - 80% better, more healthful choices, 20% because-I-want-to-eat-that choices. On vacation, I tried to stick with 50/50. We also walked A LOT (still wore my tracker, walked 25k steps on 4 of the days) to make the just-because eating choices easier to manage.