Knee Problems when running??? No Problem...Right?

Options
So, I have recently began running this year. I love running. I even bought a treadmill for the crappy outside weather days. I am 4 foot 8 and 1/2 inches (if I'm lucky) and I am carry around at least 35-40lbs extra. This is not good for me in anyway. I'm positive that once I lose some of this weight that will help my knee's. However I'm concerned about my knees and my knee health. I have had some trauma to my knees when I was younger and they have given me some issues over the years but nothing super serious or impacting. Nothing that has prevented me from doing any activities or sidelined me. However, when I run sometimes they bother me a little after a run. They aren't killing me, like a very harsh throbbing pain, just a noticeable feeling. They seem to be a bit warm as well. Walking doesn't hurt, bending them doesn't hurt, nothing actually hurts just feel warm and well worked. I am not sure if this is normal, or if its something I should be concerned with. I am going to the doctors here in a couple weeks but I would love to hear any tips, tricks, suggestions and advice you guys might have for knee health especially when running. (btw don't try to tell me to forgo running. That isn't going to happen)

Replies

• Danyloz
    Danyloz Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have a extended history with knee problems that have been from genetics and from partly being a stupid reckless kid. I have had surgery on both knees and eventually I will need to go back and have a second surgery on my right knee. I have just recently started to excersice again and I have a substantial amount of weight to lose, but I am starting to enjoy interval running. I can't emphasise enough stretching before and after. If I don't stretch it leads to serious knee cramps. And as always its great idea to check with your doc.
  • rrowdiness
    rrowdiness Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    There are a number of things which can go on with your knees, and in no way should any of us internet strangers to give any kind of advice that would pre-empt whatever your doctor or physiotherapist can diagnose. See them, ask them.

Notwithstanding that, one of the most common knee injuries is so common amongst runners that it's called 'runner's knee' and involves the patella not tracking correctly. You would know all about runner's knee though - it bloody hurts.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Docs advice seems like the safest bet.

As for any advice I can offer, listen to your knees (and all of your body, really).

I had a knee injury at 22 years of age, and figured I would never be a runner. Never tried though until my 40's after building up some good leg strength by walking for 3 months. I had some knee discomfort early on, at one point even "sore" enough that I stopped running for about 2 weeks to make sure that "flare-up" went away before stressing it further. As I kept on running and slowly adding more and more distance weekly these problems have since disappeared along with other issues like my knees feeling achy when storms roll in, etc.

It seems that the running has strengthened my knee, which is a fact of running. It will build your musculoskeletal system up over time. But you have to do it slowly because some parts, like ligaments and bones develop much more slowly than muscle and those are the LAST things you want to injure as you start building up your distance running. Those parts take a long time to heal and may not ever be as strong as before once healed. So the best thing is to never push them too far in the first place.
  • Amanda82691
    Amanda82691 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Danyloz wrote: »
    Hi, I have a extended history with knee problems that have been from genetics and from partly being a stupid reckless kid. I have had surgery on both knees and eventually I will need to go back and have a second surgery on my right knee. I have just recently started to excersice again and I have a substantial amount of weight to lose, but I am starting to enjoy interval running. I can't emphasise enough stretching before and after. If I don't stretch it leads to serious knee cramps. And as always its great idea to check with your doc.

Thank you for the advice! :)

• Amanda82691
    Amanda82691 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    grimmeanor wrote: »
    Docs advice seems like the safest bet.

As for any advice I can offer, listen to your knees (and all of your body, really).

I had a knee injury at 22 years of age, and figured I would never be a runner. Never tried though until my 40's after building up some good leg strength by walking for 3 months. I had some knee discomfort early on, at one point even "sore" enough that I stopped running for about 2 weeks to make sure that "flare-up" went away before stressing it further. As I kept on running and slowly adding more and more distance weekly these problems have since disappeared along with other issues like my knees feeling achy when storms roll in, etc.

It seems that the running has strengthened my knee, which is a fact of running. It will build your musculoskeletal system up over time. But you have to do it slowly because some parts, like ligaments and bones develop much more slowly than muscle and those are the LAST things you want to injure as you start building up your distance running. Those parts take a long time to heal and may not ever be as strong as before once healed. So the best thing is to never push them too far in the first place.

Thanks for the input! I totally agree. From what I have been reading and have been told before by my doctor is that most often, exercises help knee problems. You just have to listen to your body like you said.
  • kalamitykate83
    kalamitykate83 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hi! I suffer with my knees when running, but they're fine until I get to about mile 7 then the pain kicks in ... I've started using Rock Tape to strap them up and it works amazinly! I did the London Marathon on Sunday with them strapped up with that and they were fine!! It's worth a try!
  • NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have been having knee issues too. I went to an orthopedist (which I highly recommend) and he referred me to a Physical Therapist after seeing only inflammation in an MRI. The PT watched me run and saw that I was landing on my heels instead of my midsole. We are correcting my running form, but some other tips are to make sure you have good quality shoes and to work on hip, core and glute strength. I bought an exercise band and do several hip exercises. My PT also has me do planks (front and side) to improve my core strength for good posture while running. I also make sure to warm up by walking first and cool down and stretch when I am done. I also foam roll every day. Definitely get checked out to make sure you don't have any tears. Good luck!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I agree about doing a good warmup and stretching afterwards, but also you might try spending 10 minutes with a bag of frozen peas on each knee after you run. If you've had previous injuries there could just be some chronic inflammation coming up that's making them feel hot and maybe a little puffy.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Do you have good shoes? My knees were hurting some until I got fitted for a good pair of running shoes after a gait analysis.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Some really great advice above. I used to have consistent knee problems while running and, after seeing a doctor, what helped me is the following: foam rolling daily (especially on the IT bands), stretching (especially the psoas muscle and IT bands), strength training (I use Starting Strength), and the right shoes (have someone at Running Room or something fit you).

Best of luck, and I'm sure you can find a way to minimize or eliminate this. :smile:
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice above including listening to your doctor. If you have a specific issue you are concerned about you might ask your doc for a referral to a sports medicine clinic if there is one in your area. These clinics are not just for elite athletes and as they see all athletic injuries and situations under the sun, often they can provide more insight than a family GP. Even my doc, who is an athlete himself, refers me to a sports med clinic for certain things.

Stretching can't be over-stressed for its importance. It's amazing how many parts of our body are interconnected.

My only knee issues ever revolved around ITB inflammation from a combination of overuse, beat up shoes, and insufficient stretching. The worst flare up I ever had saw me running a big chunk of a long run backwards, and especially down every hill, just to get home. I keep up with my stretching, rotate shoes out of service regularly, and avoid over-use and haven't had that problem in eons.

Good luck and have fun!