Weighing myself too often

Options
Im weighing myself way too often then get disheartened when I put on half a pound or so, I know it should be once a week but temptation is too much

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with weighing everyday, plenty of people do. I do, I'd hate to weigh once a week. You just have to learn that fluctuations happen and deal with it.
  • Bellodesiderare
    Bellodesiderare Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I eventually put the scale in the top of the closet and only took it out on Friday mornings :) You are going to fluctuate; try not to beat yourself up too badly over it!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    If you can't keep off the scales then use a weight tracking app like Libra or Happy Scale - record your weight every day and it will estimates your 'true' weight based on fluctuations.
  • Amerielle
    Amerielle Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Where did the "once a week" rule come from? I would hate that. I weigh every morning and use Trendweight to smooth it out.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I tried weighing myself everyday for the month of April... I had to stop because it was such a mind game and I would get anxiety attacks over the gain of .2 pounds in a day. I will stick with my once a week to keep me mentally sane.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I will second the advice to use Libra (or an app like that) if you want to weigh everyday. Focusing on the trend feels much better than focusing on a single day's weight.
  • laropmet
    laropmet Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    i sometimes weigh myself twice a day, I like to see the changes between morning and night. Also I know if I weigh myself at night and i'm less than 2.5lbs heavier I am almost guaranteed to have lost weight by the morning. I also use libra though, I do like to see the trends. Maybe I just like calculating the numbers, it's my favourite part of this whole "diet" thing /geek.
  • Castrofreak
    Castrofreak Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day. You just have to keep it in your mind that if you didnt eat over your TDEE, and you still gained weight, its either water weight or food weight (or poop lol I've lost up to 2 lbs from a good poo tmi!)
  • msjackiemorgan
    msjackiemorgan Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Im weighing myself way too often then get disheartened when I put on half a pound or so, I know it should be once a week but temptation is too much

• msjackiemorgan
    msjackiemorgan Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm right with you. I even weigh all through the day. A challenge for both of us, we won't weigh this week til Friday. Anyone else want to take the challenge?
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning but only log my weight once a week. I don't worry about slight variations in weight but like to keep an eye on what is happening.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    People who live and die by the numbers on the scale shouldn't weigh daily. Water fluctuation is continuous throughout the day and varies so much.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    If you can't keep off the scales then use a weight tracking app like Libra or Happy Scale - record your weight every day and it will estimates your 'true' weight based on fluctuations.

This!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My Weight Wise team advises it's clients to weigh themselves no more than once a week, at the same time of day, on the same scale. For some, weighing in can become an obsession. I figure if you are weighing multiple times in a day all you are doing is monitoring your fluctuating water weight. Two actions have removed my temptation to weigh more frequently (other than a month of tracking as I sought to understand my fluctuations).

First of all is a trend grapher as mentioned above. I use weightgrapher.

Second, using a digital scale that automatically posts my weight. I use an Aria. See, if every step on the scale "counts", I'm less tempted to get back on to get a "better" number.

I suspect a similar compulsion that keeps people heading back to the slots.
  • mattlynch2015
    mattlynch2015 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm right with you. I even weigh all through the day. A challenge for both of us, we won't weigh this week til Friday. Anyone else want to take the challenge?

I'm up for that
  • tcbutler8627
    tcbutler8627 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Although I try not to, I weigh myself every day. I keep saying I'll do it every other day or even every couple days, but it never works out.
  • Allelito
    Allelito Posts: 179 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The longer I do it, the less I care about my scale showing a bigger number than last time. I'm so used to these flunctuations by now, but I put all my weigh-in numbers in a graph to see the trend weight, and as long as I'm losing in the long run, that's all that matters! :)

edit:
    I'll share my *cough* super consistent drops on the scale with you. ;)
    But as you can see on the red trendline, I am losing in the long run, which is all that matters!
    7Da9MNb.png
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a day. First thing in the morning in the nude. If I gain/lose weight overnight I don't give it much thought until there's a trend in one direction or the other.

I would find weighing once a week unsettling. What if I happened to be bloated that day and appeared to have gained 3 lbs? If I had been weighing throughout the week then I would know the weight appeared overnight and was bloat but if I only weighed once a week then I wouldn't be able to differentiate water from fat gain.

Everyone should do what works for them.