Best low-calorie meals to help with weight loss!!

Options
Hi! I'm really new to myfitnesspal, so I hope I'm doing this right, but I was wondering if anyone knew of some GREAT recipes (or snacks) that are super filling + low in calorie. I always have trouble maintaining my diet and continuing to eat healthy + stay full, because once I get hungry and I run out of low calorie snacks, I head straight to fattening foods. I don't want to do that anymore! I'll send a friend request to everyone that comments as well! So excited to use this site!

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Filling foods have protein, fat, and fiber. For me it's not about getting to the smallest number of calories.....it's about using those limited calories wisely.

Breakfast can be Greek yogurt (protein) and raspberries (fiber + flavor) and chopped nuts (fat) OR
    Oatmeal (fiber) made with milk (protein) and chopped nuts (fat) ....or a bit of peanut butter stirred in

Lunch can be Caesar salad (greens for fiber, grilled chicken for protein, and dressing + parmesan cheese for fat) OR a sandwich on whole grain bread (fiber) meat (protein) and cheese (fat) with a side of fruit (more fiber)....then I always pack some veggies. Non-starchy veggies are great low calorie (high volume) snacks.
  • enigma9051
    enigma9051 Posts: 3 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    We found that substituting turkey sausauge in place of pork in recipes helps. I usually start the day with an omlet.
    Two eggs, 1/8 cup of shredded fat free cheddar, 1/2, a Roma tomato, 1/2 cup of Jimmy Dean turkey crumbles, top with 1 slice of ultra thin cheddar and side with two Jimmy Dean turkey sausages. The large amount of protein lasts me through lunch. I figure around 340 calories.

For a snack I usually turn to Act II movie theater Popcorn. Yields 2-1/22 cups and only 62 calories.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    A note on salads....there are so many different things you can do with them. I grill up a bunch of chicken breasts then slice and portion into zip-lock baggies, and freeze them.

Taco chicken salad: Greens, chicken, salsa mixed with plain Greek or light sour cream, a sprinkle of cheddar, and a few tortilla chips

Harvest chicken salad: Greens, chicken, tangy apple pieces, walnuts, feta cheese, and vinaigrette (I like Ken's Raspberry Walnut).

Asian salad: Greens, chicken, snap peas, mandarin orange slices, a few chow mien noodles (or almonds) and Newman's Light Sesame Ginger dressing.
  • breathless575
    breathless575 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I like to snack on the single-serving size of Sabra hummus with cut up bell peppers and baby carrots.
  • kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Filling foods have protein, fat, and fiber. For me it's not about getting to the smallest number of calories.....it's about using those limited calories wisely.

^this!
    My diary is open; look at my recipe for Thai quinoa cashew salad, lots of fiber and plant-based fats with OK protein content. One serving is ~250 cals, so there is plenty of wiggle room to add more protein like chopped eggs, chicken breast or edamame. Kids really seem to like it, as well - I served this on Easter and it was just about the only thing one of the picky eaters consumed.
  • eyeofnewt555
    eyeofnewt555 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You could try eating the tasty "bad" meal you want, just in a tiny portion. Eat it with a giant salad, low-cal salad. That way, you still get to indulge in the food you crave, feel full, and be reasonable on calories.

This is what I do, and it really works for me. (But usually my tiny tasty meal portion is still pretty healthy, just more calorie dense than the volume salad). And I always save the last bite for the tasty meal.