Calculating Calories Burned from DVDs

Options
I apologize if this question is answered elsewhere but when putting in your exercises done for the day how do you determine which exercise (step aerobics, running, etc.) to choose? For example, I did a "Firm" CardioBlast (or something like that, don't have the DVD near me) and I wasn't sure what to categorize it as so I put in low impact aerobics. I'm afraid I may be underestimating/overestimating the calories burned from my activities. Please advise.

Replies

• cham1210
    Options
    I apologize if this question is answered elsewhere but when putting in your exercises done for the day how do you determine which exercise (step aerobics, running, etc.) to choose? For example, I did a "Firm" CardioBlast (or something like that, don't have the DVD near me) and I wasn't sure what to categorize it as so I put in low impact aerobics. I'm afraid I may be underestimating/overestimating the calories burned from my activities. Please advise.
  • jacmiley
    jacmiley Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Best solution - get a heart rate monitor. It is the best investment I have made towards my weight loss.
  • Nonibug
    Nonibug Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Ive often wondered the same thing cham-I get the majority of my exercise now from various dvd's that I have since the weather has been so bad:ohwell: And I dont want to over or under estimate what Ive actually burned...and although I DO want an HRM...well, it just isnt in the budget right now:cry: So, until we can get one, I guess we'll just have to keep wondering what we've burned:ohwell:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    before I had my HRM I would gauge the intensity of the workout.

If I worked, but could talk or sing during the workout, I put aerobic, low impact

if i worked up a good sweat, and could sing-but not for long, i put higher impact

on the days i really worked hard, could feel my heart rate up there....i found the highest one.

w/o an HRM it is very hard to be specific. You know your body. When I started walking to the end of the street was a high impact workout for me!!!
  • cham1210
    Options
    Thanks!