Curves

Options
I need help! I just found a Curves gym about 5 blocks away from my house. Does any have a membership at Curves? Do you like it? & how much are the memberships? I stopped going to the gym because of perverts so I figured Curves might be my alternative!

Replies

• SailorMoon007
    SailorMoon007 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I used to go to Curves, and I wasn't a huge fan of the trainers. The idea behind Curves is awesome though. I'm actually still using the meal plan that they provided to me years ago. They should have a trial period. I suggest you give it a whirl and see if its your cup of tea. Good luck!
  • ppiinnkkmmoonn
    Options
    it why i go to a all women gym. Love it. granted they talk to damn much but i blast my ipod and ignore smile and nod hi
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Haha, funnily enough I used to prefer a women's gym because men in general are perverts!
  • cupfanncbms
    cupfanncbms Posts: 101
    Options
    I love Curves! The first time I went there (seven years ago), I dropped 40 pounds and 4 dress sizes in about 5 months just combining Curves and a healthy diet (I did use their shake and a piece of fruit for my morning meal every day too)! I just started back there again in March, and I'm loving it just as much as I did before.

The thing you have to keep in mind working out at Curves is that you HAVE to push yourself on EVERY machine to get any benefits. They are resistance machines, so if you go slow, there isn't enough resistance built up to do anything. Each machine typically works two muscle groups so you are doubling up on them. There's also a set of stretches to do afterward because there is some benefit to stretching warm muscles.

The cost varies a little bit depending on whether your club has the new fancy equipment on it. My gym is about 31 a month-some are 36. They usually do deals if you purchase 3, 6, 9, or 12 months prepaid memberships.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I went to Curves a few years ago when I had a free trial. It wasn't bad (and it's probably improved since.)
    It is circuit training. You spend 30 seconds or a minute (can't remember which) at each station, and it alternates a cardio with a weight station. You go around the circuit 2 or 3 times, to equal 30 minutes. It's great if you don't want to have to decide what to do for your workout. And, as I recall, they reorder the stations every so often so that it's not always the same (good to keep the plateaus away).

I personally prefer the regular gym. But I like to run on a treadmill or the track for 20-30 minutes, or to lift weights (yes, I'm a girl; I just like the control over toning I feel I get from weights vs the machines at Curves). But I know a lot of women who really prefer Curves. The machines are less scary that weight lifting, and they go for just 1/2 hour and know when to be done. And they like that it's pretty much all women who need to get in shape, so they don't feel self-conscious about not having the tiny so-called "perfect" body you see too often at the gym.
  • tukrainets
    tukrainets Posts: 119
    Options
    i loved curves... they even got better with your own chip that u insert into the machine that tells you in order to burn x amount of calories u need to push this hard and it wont let you pull the chip out until you do all your reps with the resistence its telling you to go... after the workout, you insert that chip into their computer and it tells you how many calories you burned, and what areas you worked more or less on :) its very convenient for women on the go, i would burn anywhere from 500-700 calories in 30 mintues!
  • ChirishGirl
    ChirishGirl Posts: 111
    Options
    I went a few years ago, but wasn't really thrilled with it. It was great since I hadn't worked out regularly for a while, but it got too easy too quickly for me and then I just felt like I was going through the motions. I've seen they've added Zumba intervals - so I'm kind of interested to see how that works overall. Unfortunately, the one local to me only has classes starting during times I have to be at work. Which makes no sense to me...lol.
  • LurayneMarie
    LurayneMarie Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I love it, been with them for over 3 years. Have lost over 40lbs with them. It's just so handy you go in do the circuit 2-3 times and you're done. Plus it forces me to workout out non-stop for 30-35minutes straight whereas in any ordinary gym I would workout for 10mins and then take a break for 10mins and then workout for 10mins...I never built up a proper sweat.
    You get out of Curves what you put into it. If you push yourself to work 100% at each station (usually only 30secs per station but if you push hard enough you will sweat buckets!) And the circuit targets every area of the body mixing cardio with strength training on the machines. I really love it and the fact that its women only is a massive bonus. I hated normal gyms because of the guys and the supermodel bodybuilder walking around flaunting their beach bodies.
    Everyone at curves is there to workout and get fitter and not there to show off and make people feel depressed or insecure about their own bodies. The instructors do tend to walk around and talk to us but they soon pick up if you're not in the mood for talking and they let you just get on with your workout. There are a few people who will come in for a workout and spend the whole time talking to the instructor while they're working out and they finish the circuit without breaking a sweat. But that's their choice. A conversation requires 2 people!! If they want to talk instead of workout then its their loss! (Or not haha!)
    I only converse with the instructors before or after my workout and they have no problem with that. They know not to talk to me while Im in 'The Zone' during my workout!!! haha

So hope you get to try it out. It will work for you if you make it work! :)
  • kristiedavis1
    Options
    I'm new to MFP so I'm just reading your post today. If you haven't made a decision yet I hope you will consider giving Curves a try. It has been a great thing for me. Sure there are some drawbacks to every work-out program or gym, but with Curves I don't have to think about what I should be doing, 30 minutes three times a week is not difficult to manage, and I'm not sefl-conscious of my workout. It is true that it's a circuit but that's the no brainer part (which works for me). However, the more you work out the more you have to put into it to increase your resistance against the machine. It's a total body workout. Hope you have or will consider giving it a try.
  • aisha_ali
    aisha_ali Posts: 2
    Options
    I just joined curves a month back and started their weight management plan ysterday. My weight is till the same. Hoping to see the results soon!