Has anyone here used phenamine?

My Dr just started me on this a week ago, and it's to soon to know if I'm loosing weight but oh my do I feel different, can't sleep constantly dizzy, but honestly not hungry . Just looking for feed back. I need to loose almost 300 lbs in total so Should I just stick this out are they normal side effects of this medicine???

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Your doctor would have those answers, I presume.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Your doctor would have those answers, I presume.

This, also (as someone who has been on phentermine, make sure you're drinking enough liquid) those things you mentioned are all side effects of that medication.

• tamikasands
    tamikasands Posts: 1 Member
    Insomnia doesn't go away that's a big part of the side effects of the medication. Try taking them as early in the am as possible. Drink plenty of water and although your not hungry.. Eat.. Even if it's carrots, apples, celery etc. the dizziness will go away. Good luck.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    These questions should be answered by your doctor. If he prescribed it and you are having side effects then call his office and talk to him.
  • SupremeQueenJasmine
    SupremeQueenJasmine Posts: 3 Member
    edited April 2015
    I have used them and honestly, they did work and the side effects are real. But take it from me that if you do not learn to eat better then once you stoptaking them you may gain the weight back plus more.
  • gopgirl425
    gopgirl425 Posts: 140 Member
    I took it as well many years ago for a short period of time. I had nose bleeds due to the medication making my bp shoot up.

I would just call the Dr. and ask.
  • FoxyMars25
    FoxyMars25 Posts: 112 Member
    I took it in college when I gained 50 lbs after taking Zoloft. I don't remember having any side effects from it. I know it did suppress my appetite and I did end up losing weight pretty quickly, however, my main problem with Phentermine is that it does not teach you healthy habits or how hard weight loss really is. Yes, it suppresses your appetite, but what happens when you can't take it anymore as you are only supposed to be on it for 3 months? I tell you what happens, YOU GAIN THE WEIGHT BACK! I did and almost got right back up to where I was. I have another friend who took it last year and she lost a good amount of weight, but guess what, she has already gained 15 lbs of it back.
    I know what it is like when you are desperate to lose weight and just don't know where to start, believe me. But if you keep having side effects that you cannot deal with, please stop taking it and lose weight on your own without the Phentermine because you CAN do it!! I know because I finally decided to lose weight for good and I wanted to do it on my own (no pills, no weight loss programs such as weight watchers, no gym or trainer as I work out at home or outside) and I have lost 60+ lbs since 2012. I am the thinnest I have ever been in my life. It is hard work but that is a good thing because you learn healthy habits, you learn that being hungry every once in awhile is not such a bad thing, and you learn how strong you can be and how amazing your willpower can be.

Sorry about all of that, just my 2 cents! :)
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    I would talk to your doctor about the side effects.

All of those side effects make sense for a stimulant. I've never taken one for appetite suppression but for ADHD.

As other posters recommended I would take it as early as possible with the hopes that the stimulant wears off a little earlier so you're less likely to get insomnia. I would also talk to your doctor about decreasing dosage. You may still get the appetite suppressant action with fewer side effects at a lower dose.
  • linna62
    linna62 Posts: 988 Member
    Yes as part of Phen-Fen many years ago. Very effective stimulant but as others have said without adapting your eating habits and developing better skills the weight is a vicious cycle. Obviously your doc feels they are of value to you now so please develp the skills you need for long term success. Best wishes, you CAN do this!
  • Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    check this forum post out. should help a little :)

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/32249728#Comment_32249728
  • Talaradenise
    Talaradenise Posts: 3 Member
    Ive taken phentermine 3 separate times in my life. Once before kids and was crazy successful. I lost 60 lbs, but I never drank soda, never red meat and I exercised almost every day. 11 years later (and 80 lbs) im back on. This is month 3 and im down 30lbs. I want to lose 100 total.. the side effects are different for everyone. Make sure you are drinking water like crazy and they will get less noticable the longer you take them. Exercise mama. even if it's sitting on the side of your bed. Just move. Youre gonna get there. Hope this helps!

• kyshayla
    kyshayla Posts: 14 Member
    I have and would never take them again. My body did not function properly. Yes I lost all the weight I wanted plus more which did return but I was just a walking shell of my former self.
  • suger723
    suger723 Posts: 33 Member
    Thank you all, I have changed my eating habits almost a year ago bit with only being able to loose 20 lbs on my own I asked my Dr for help. I'm enjoying using the calories counter on this app it makes me very aware of what I'm eating and not eating now due to no hunger
  • HoneyDaggers
    HoneyDaggers Posts: 91 Member