Has anyone done it twice?

Options
I'm struggling to be motivated!!

I was fat my whole life, then in 2011 I started changing things, what I ate, then added exercise, within 18 months i had gone from 255lbs to fluctuating between 175 - 182 lbs. I'm 5ft 8 so i looked good but i wanted to lose more. Then we decided to try for another baby (i'm getting on a bit and thought it could take a while- it didn't). I exercised up till 15 weeks when I got hit with SPD (something i had in my last pregnancy) it progressed very quickly and I was floored. I tried to power through but was told i could make it worse and make my recovery slower.

Anyway, i had to have a c section so my plans to start exercising again straight away were scuppered!!! I was 238lbs before my daughter was born, 224lbs after then 245lbs 6 months after she was born!!!! A lack of being able to exercise the need for extra calories because i was breastfeeding and using that as an excuse to fall back into all ways leave me feeling a bit cr*p.

I'm ashamed of myself and can't ever see me getting back to what i was. I know people pile on weight in pregnancy then lose it but they were slim to begin with and had been before so I figured its easier for them.

Has anyone lost a substantial amount of weight twice? I know I did it once so i must be able to do it again but I'm just not sure I can....

I'm not fishing for sympathy nor am i looking to be judged I'd just love to hear from anyone who was big, then lost it then gained most of it back and lost it again.

Thank you.

:)

Replies

• mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Around 2003 or so I.lost 50 pounds. Got down to about 200.. in.2006 or so I.started gaining weight after a new marriage. 3 years ago, I was at 272. I now am right under 170 pounds.. so it can be done. Good luck.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    To echo the above YES IT CAN BE DONE and "right". I wasn't a "fat" kid but always at mid to top of healthy range, developed early too, wearing a regular bra by 12. Late teens, abusive relationship got to 190, got down to 169 got out of bad situation. Maintained 160s got married and at 26 went on Phen fen got to 140s. Got pregnant gained 57, lost 30, struggled, had BAD car accident struggled (got to 220s) early 30s started to lose got to 180s got pregnant at 34, pre-eclampsia and complications from spinal issues back up to 230. Just decided one day to stop drinking and smoking lost 30 without changing much else in diet. Lost 20 here (platued and maintained a long time now, other health issues in play), got 20ish to go til high end of goal. NEVER GIVING UP! almost 46 and feel great!
  • MrsH78
    MrsH78 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    That fab ladies. Thank you, it's so nice to hear.
  • Dinkysmum
    Dinkysmum Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yup, been there, done that! Big all my teenage years & fairly huge well into my 20's, 2 x C-sections and multiple ups & downs on my weight - lost 3 stone between kids (2 1/2 years between them) then put it all back on. Lost another 2 stone in 2012 and put that back on and then some. Started on MFP again in January 2013 at 238lb now I'm 840+ days into logging and 189lb. I'm sticking with it this time, but going at it slow & steady. Feel free to add me if you'd like.
  • sengalissa
    sengalissa Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    MrsH78 wrote: »
    I'm struggling to be motivated!!

I was fat my whole life, then in 2011 I started changing things, what I ate, then added exercise, within 18 months i had gone from 255lbs to fluctuating between 175 - 182 lbs. I'm 5ft 8 so i looked good but i wanted to lose more. Then we decided to try for another baby (i'm getting on a bit and thought it could take a while- it didn't). I exercised up till 15 weeks when I got hit with SPD (something i had in my last pregnancy) it progressed very quickly and I was floored. I tried to power through but was told i could make it worse and make my recovery slower.

Anyway, i had to have a c section so my plans to start exercising again straight away were scuppered!!! I was 238lbs before my daughter was born, 224lbs after then 245lbs 6 months after she was born!!!! A lack of being able to exercise the need for extra calories because i was breastfeeding and using that as an excuse to fall back into all ways leave me feeling a bit cr*p.

I'm ashamed of myself and can't ever see me getting back to what i was. I know people pile on weight in pregnancy then lose it but they were slim to begin with and had been before so I figured its easier for them.

Has anyone lost a substantial amount of weight twice? I know I did it once so i must be able to do it again but I'm just not sure I can....

I'm not fishing for sympathy nor am i looking to be judged I'd just love to hear from anyone who was big, then lost it then gained most of it back and lost it again.

Thank you.

After every baby, and I have 5 kids... Not that much though, more like 30lbs each time.
    It's frustrating - but what's the choice?
  • burnsgene42
    burnsgene42 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Yep . Back in the early 80's I lost a little over 50 lb. Used the "Jim Fix Plan". After I retired I gained back up to about 200lb. I've gotten it down to about 175 now and dropping. Fitness Pal is like an online version of the Jim Fix plan.
    Whatever worked for you before should work now. AND you know the plan can work. ((;
  • Xpecta
    Xpecta Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I have!! I got up to about 270 after my first. Same thing... C section and breastfeeding took its toll on me. (I'm 5'2 so that's pretty big on such a small frame) I lost 70 pounds and sat at 200. Couldn't break it. Then stress and another pregnancy led to me being back up to about 240 or so. Then I lost down to 210, then a third pregnancy. I got back up to 260. And now I'm down 61 pounds currently and have finally broken the 200 mark!! It can happen!! It just takes dedication!
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I lost 60 lbs after my first child (10 years ago). After 2 more pregnancies, gained it all back and then some. Now my baby making days are over, and i'm trying to get my body back, not to the way it was, but at least better than it is now :) 3 c-sections has done a job on my tummy. I've lost 55 lbs so far this time around, another 30+ to go.

Yes you can do this. I find it harder the 2nd time around, it's coming off much slower. But it is coming off. Stay dedicated to it, don't give up with you are stressed and frustrated, just keep trying. I figure I need to take care of myself in order to take good care of my children, so they motivate me to keep with it.

My oldest 2 boys telling me that they love working out with me, and asking me to either work out with them (I have a weight bench and treadmill at home that we use) or go for bike rides with them every evening lets me know that this journey isn't just for me. My being dedicated to working out is influencing them to stay fit as well.
  • MrsH78
    edited April 2015
    Options
    So much motivation. Thank you. :)
  • newport3158
    newport3158 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Yes! I was always the fat girl. Got pregnant in 2005, gained 70lbs, lost 100 in 17 months, at age 24. Got pregnant in 2011, gained 80lbs, lost 90lbs by 30 months, at age 33. You can do it, it gets harder each time and as you get older, but it can be done!
  • newport3158
    newport3158 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Oh and c-section the second time too.
  • KimsTakingControl
    KimsTakingControl Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was 210 pounds and got to 117 and just like you I decided for another baby and gained 60+lbs during my pregnancy. I am finally back down to 151. If anyone needs a friend please add me! We can help each other!
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you, so you are not alone. And I suspect that most of us here on MFP have done this dance before. Keeping it off is the hardest part for me. I'm just getting back at it too and, in fact, about five minutes ago started a new group called "The Revolving Door." If you think having the support of folks who have been down that road before and are facing the same challenges as you are, check it out. Maybe we "regainers" can all help keep each other on track! :) Whatever you choose, good luck and keep at it. Like someone else here said, if you've done it once, you can do it again!
  • BlueMacaroniArt
    BlueMacaroniArt Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I right here with you. I lost 50 lbs on here in 2012. Then had a baby, preeclampsia and csection and a baby that even now at 17 months doesn't sleep thru the night. I have a hard time with knowing the plan I had before has to be altered a bit this time because I can't exercise how and when I want, I have to worry about other people eating, before my hubby fended for himself if he didn't want want I was eating, and I can't just go to bed to avoid eating. Lol I gained after having him mostly because at 2 am and 4 am and 530 I have no will power. Sleep deprevation is evil. But I'm starting again and believe its possible. Baby steps. You can add me too if you want.
  • GymnasticsMommy
    GymnasticsMommy Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    In 2009 I lost 50 plus pounds and kept it off all year, on 2010 I lost 35 more pounds, kept that off for another year. Then slowly gained back. I started mfp Jan this year and can say I am down 32lbs. I know I can lose the other 55 in the next year or so. It is harder as you get older, but you can do it. Just take it slow :)
  • MrsH78
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Thanks everyone. So nice to hear from you all.