struggling to stay motivated

Options
Its hard to motivate yourself, Its even harder when u don't have a support system as well. It's hard for me because eating my favorite foods has always been my safe haven. Its hard to just reprogram yourself to not want to eat when ur sad, mad, or glad. I teeter totter in and out of workouts cause its hard for me to stay focus and motivated. I have tried some many different workouts routines, i just can't find something to fit my schedule. I am struggling to find a right workout plan and meal plan. It doesnt help either that the outside world has brainwashed us into thinking we have to look a certain way or else were fat/obese, and i don't mean what a doctor says, i mean what the other 50% of the world who says i am too fat. I struggle just to eat right cause unfortunately i am looked at as that unattractive fat guy and yes my reason for getting in shape are selfish and not for my own health, but for once i want to be that person that is seen as that handsome fit dude and not just that fat guy. So i say this all of you out there trying to get healthy for yourselves, i admire u for have the courage to move foward and better yourselves. And to those of you who want to get into shape to finally be accepted i feel your dredd, like myself you will stumble along the way but eventually we will see the finish line and at that finish line i hope to see all you there so that we can all high five each other and say that we made.

Replies

• nancyhoyt
    nancyhoyt Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I to am having such a hard time I started losing last year in Jan. and lost about 60 pounds, I did that to have weight loss surgery, then my husband said he didn't want me to have it, I since then have given up and restarted a dozen times I am so discouraged, I wish I had a friend that was also on this journey but I have very few friends and none that I can talk to about this journey.... So I am wishing you good luck on your journey...
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    first of all - commit to being fit. Following a workout plan and meal plan is a great way to do so, but not the only way! Figure out why these workout plans are constructed. Most plans out on BB.com or other sites are thrown together as basic guidelines. I struggled for years with what I call "workout plan OCD"... If I didn't hit every rep, set and excercise on the program, I was miserable. I obsessed about plans, and if I missed a day, ran short on time, etc. I gave up. This is until I looked at the big picture. Consistency is all that matters. Yes, certain programs will help you hit more specific goals, but if your main goal is to be fit, just workout and eat within your limitations. Meal plans, are the same... You don't have to obsess about the foods you eat if you track your macro and micro nutrients and don't exceed (assuming your trying to lose weight) your calorie goals.. Be consistent, stay active and track your nutrition! The rest will fall into place. Also, remember, it needs to be for YOU!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Its not that hard, but what you really need to do is think about and understand how things work and what you are doing. Also why you are doing things, whats motivating you? You can then make decisions based on that.

People often dont think about what they are trying to do or prepare for it. All i will say is you can 100% do it and dont stop learning or improving.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Do something to make yourself handsome right NOW! A new hair cut, a professional shave or facial treatment and some hot new clothes. There- now look in the mirror that handsome guy staring back at you is worth the time, energy and sweat to get fit and healthy. Don't punish that unattractive fat guy by shoving more unhealthy food into him.
    As far as exercise - keep looking. I get bored quickly and change my routines all the time.
  • dlorigo1
    dlorigo1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes, its hard. I struggle with the same obstacles as well. I work, just finished graduate school and volunteer for a dog rescue. So for a long time I had my plate full of responsibility. However my emotional eating and love for food has always derailed me throughout part of my life time. From what I have learned, I had to be patient with myself and start with small goals. There are times when I do really good, then not so good. Its been a long journey of learning about me, not what they say how a woman of 5'3 should feel and look. Right now I'm between 145-150 lbs and my goal is to be @ 135 lbs but I'm stuck in this rut of not giving a crap about my diet, it's like I care but I dont. I know I'm burned out from grad school, raising puppies, work and other stuff going on in my life. Yet, I know it will pass, hopefully sooner than later. Then I will revamp my healthy diet again. I accepted this is part of the process, it sucks big time and its frustrating but I been through it enough to know it will pass. Even my personal trainer has her off weeks as well, which is comforting, reminds me that shes human too. Over all, I decided what's more important is to be fit and healthy which took a lot of pressure of being "thin". I feel good in my skin at 130, at 150 not soo good.