Heart Rate Monitors - What's the best one??

Options
So I have the Polar Heart Rate Monitor, which I love, but I'm getting tired of the chest strap. I feel like I always have to adjust it mid-workout, and when I look at my wrist, sometimes my watch says my heart rate is 0! I'm an avid calorie tracker/MFP user, so calories burned are super important. I've changed the battery, tightened the strap, cleaned it, etc, but I think I'm over the hassle. Looking for some recommendations on what's out there/ who uses what and so on!

THANKS!

Replies

• Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Highly debatable. I personally think the Microsoft Band is the best of the lot out there. The data crunching and information being provided back to you to make better decisions is just starting to trickle back in through Microsoft's Health App.

The Band works with any phone (Apple, Android, or Windows), and I believe with most recent App update that just came out (Microsoft Health) you can use the App with the step counter in your phone (assuming it runs at a minimum level) to get an idea of the data returned.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    If you don't want a chest strap, I actually found a Scosche Rhythm HRM to work quite well. It is an arm strap, optical type HRM. You have to find a good spot to place it on your arm or else you will get spotty results. I happened to have a blood lab done one day shortly after getting mine and had a nice reference point on my upper arm for where to set it. I just got used to putting it there from that point forward and never had trouble. The only trouble I had was my phone battery lasting through long runs in cold weather..which will happen with any HRM paired to a phone!
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I would agree that this is highly debatable. Either Runner's World or Running Times just ran a comparative article on a lot of the popular wrist worn HRMs. Your choice will very much depend on what you want to get out of it. I have looked at a lot of the reviews on the wrist HRMs and almost all of them have draw backs ranging from very inacurate data to how tight you have to wear them to get them to work. On the other hand the chest strap is still touted as being highly accurate which is what I am looking for. That being said I opted for a Garmin 220 and a chest strap.
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    LeighannG5 wrote: »
    So I have the Polar Heart Rate Monitor, which I love, but I'm getting tired of the chest strap. I feel like I always have to adjust it mid-workout, and when I look at my wrist, sometimes my watch says my heart rate is 0! I'm an avid calorie tracker/MFP user, so calories burned are super important. I've changed the battery, tightened the strap, cleaned it, etc, but I think I'm over the hassle. Looking for some recommendations on what's out there/ who uses what and so on!

THANKS!

Can I ask how long you've had yours? I just bought one recently and hoping it lasts at least a year. So far no issues, but every now and then I'll hear about ones similar to the ones you mentioned.

• lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT60. I used to have the FT4 and had those same issues after about a year. Since I've gotten the new one, about a year and a half ago, I store the sensor & watch separately and keep up with regular cleaning of the strap and now I haven't had any problems with it.
  • BlueEyedTXmom
    BlueEyedTXmom Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I went through 2 Polar HRMs and now have a Fitbit Charge HR. I find it to be pretty accurate compared to the polar and love that I can wear it all day to track activity, HR and sleep as well. I have a friend who also loves her Garmin Forerunner 15, which I considered getting but I really didn't want to have to deal with the chest strap anymore.
  • AJOjr
    AJOjr Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I purchased the X-small polar chest strap and that took care of the 0 heart rate for me. The chest strap that came with it was to big and lost contact. I'm about 30-31 inches below the bra line.
  • stellet_licht
    stellet_licht Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I use both a Polar H7 chest strap and a Mio Alpha wrist strap. Both are fine for steady state, lower impact type activities like running or elliptical. As far as say strength training, occasionally the H7 will stop transmitting very, very briefly if the impact is quite high (maybe burpees?), but the Mio is more sensitive especially with activities where there's significant wrist bending like pushups. But it corrects itself relatively quickly and I can't say that the calorie counts end up differing significantly. Lastly, it's true that the wrist straps need to be on fairly snug, but I haven't ever found it to be on so tight, nor too high on the forearm, that it's uncomfortable. My 2 cents.

BTW, I use both of these with my iPhone either connected to Endomondo or Runtastic via bluetooth if that matters.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar H7, strap stays up, and it syncs with my phone beautifully (Using the polar app).
  • LeighannG5
    LeighannG5 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Can I ask how long you've had yours? I just bought one recently and hoping it lasts at least a year. So far no issues, but every now and then I'll hear about ones similar to the ones you mentioned.

[/quote]

I've had mine for two years! I really do love it, and love being able to track my HR and cals burned. If you find it starts giving you trouble, change the battery/batteries. That fixed any "issue" I thought I was having. I Definitely recommend it, just looking to explore some other options.
  • LeighannG5
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback! Seems like a pretty even split between keeping a chest strap and getting something different. I do CrossFit, so it's mainly during workouts that have me jumping or doing pull ups where I start to lose the strap/stops reading. I'll look into a smaller strap like AJOjr suggested before I go out buying anything new.
  • MsMargie1116
    MsMargie1116 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I currently have the FitBit One, but have a FitBit HR on order... the waiting is KILLING me... I've read some really good reviews on it though.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I should add that I currently use a chest strap HRM. The readings are similar to what I had with my Scosche arm band HRM, but the chest strap one that I have captures more than just heart rate, which is why I purchased it. I would have gone with a Garmin watch if I had that sort of money to spend as it captures the most data I have seen. My choice on my second HRM was about the amount of data plus reliability as opposed to where I wore it.
  • _whatsherface
    _whatsherface Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    I've had a Polar Ft4 and currently a Polar Ft7. Both very affordable, and I love them.
  • TrishaCisneros
    TrishaCisneros Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I 've had a Polar FT4 for a little over two years, and recently thought it died on me. After troubleshooting and going rounds with Polar CS, it finally came down to a new strap (straps usually die around the 2 year mark per Polar CS), having it super tight, and a new battery in the watch device. Works like its brand new now and saved me SO much money.
  • phillipdean299
    phillipdean299 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    The only chest strap heart rate monitor that I have experience with is from Garmin. I've not had any issues with it
  • LeighannG5
    Options
    I 've had a Polar FT4 for a little over two years, and recently thought it died on me. After troubleshooting and going rounds with Polar CS, it finally came down to a new strap (straps usually die around the 2 year mark per Polar CS), having it super tight, and a new battery in the watch device. Works like its brand new now and saved me SO much money.

Thank you!!