logging in exercises

Options
Question does anyone out there know what to put down for excerising or calories burned when you live on the farm when your daily activity is fixing or mending broken fences chasing animals that have gotting out, calving, hauling grain or water, yard cleaning, and everything else that comes with running a farm or ranch when you have kids and animals to look after ?

Replies

• goingtobefit2015
    goingtobefit2015 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    You might try using a heart rate monitor that's what I use to calculate my calories burned. It calculates by your weight and heart rate. I have a Polar FT7 I got it on Amazon for $75
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I believe that would be put under your lifestyle as ACTIVE or VERY ACTIVE... under the page of Goals. Then MFP takes that into account when it gives you the daily amount of calories. :flowerforyou:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Activity level is meant to capture the work related things we do all day. If you selected active for your level and then add in other activities....you risk double counting.

A FitBit or other activity tracker tries to give you calories for daily activities including exercise. These work best for step based things. But you can sync many trackers to MFP and have it record adjustments. That means on a day that is different from your activity level setting in MFP it can add/ or take away calories.

Not.........a heart rate monitor. It's designed for steady state cardio
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I agree with goingtobefit2. I also use the Polar FT7. It will give you a more accurate reading than trying to use MFP activities which tend to overestimate calories burned. You probably won't be able to find your specific activities in the data base.
  • boss_samj
    boss_samj Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info everyone it was a great help!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you would calculate it as part of your lifestyle activity level, not exercise
  • boss_samj
    boss_samj Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yes I do believe your right! Thank you!