Books that inspire you...

Options
I'm not really a reader but when it comes to true stories or anything about weight loss -- it captures my attention. I read one book called "He loves Lucy by Susan Donovan" -- loved it. I also read "It was me all along" by Andie Mitchell and now I've been reading "Women, Food, and Desire" by Alexandria Jamieson.

Do you have any recommended reading material that might motivate me?

Replies

• theadamswolfpack
    Options
    I don't know if we can interest you but there's a book series called skinny *kitten* and I love it
  • theadamswolfpack
    Options
    B***h
  • MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    The Little Train that Could :p
  • senglishrose
    senglishrose Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I don't know if we can interest you but there's a book series called skinny *kitten* and I love it

If it motivates me -- I'm interested!! :smile:
  • senglishrose
    senglishrose Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    MrCoolGrim wrote: »
    The Little Train that Could :p

Mmmm....I haven't read that in a long time but.....not sure if it would have the same impact it did on me years ago lol
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Any recipe book with gorgeous photography. Losing 70 lbs and focusing on my health has had the weird result of really re-igniting my love of healthy, home-cooked, experimental food. I enjoy preparing and eating food much more now than I ever did before. Just in smaller portions!!
  • StephMDtoo
    StephMDtoo Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I liked "The End of Overeating" and "If Buddha came to dinner". The latter took a grain of salt with some of the uber-woo in a few chapters, but the overall message was very good.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Weight loss doesn't inspire me. The books that are on my life-changers list include:

The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People by Covey
    Neighbor Power, Building Community...by Jim Diers, and
    On Writing Well by Zinsser

The Seven Habits because of habit 3 and this question:
    "Ask yourself a question - What one thing could you do (you aren't doing now) that if you did on a regular basis, would make a tremendous positive difference in your personal life?"

Guess what? For me it was addressing my weight. Duh. And the promises in the book came through. When I tackled my One Big Thing, a whole bunch of other things got better.

Neighbor Power because the author convinced me that everyday people can make a difference in their community, if they are approached right.

On Writing Well because putting the writing principles in to practice meant I took care what I wrote and by extension, what I thought. I became a sharper, decisive thinker.

I despair finding a family or friend to read a book on my life-changing list. So far they have foiled my best efforts. I mean, a book can save the reader tons of wasted effort, re-learning where others have gone before. Learn from the wise!
  • Allterrain_Lady
    Allterrain_Lady Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    All Jillian Michaels books. And "Unbearable Lightness" by Portia de Rossi. She says A LOT of awesome truth about body image in this. A must read!!
  • breathless575
    breathless575 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    My top motivating books right now are: "Unbearable Lightness" by Portia de Rossi, "An Apple A Day" by Emma Woolf, and "The Shift" by Tory Johnson.
  • Jg04811
    Jg04811 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    bump...for later
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I'm not much of one for motivational reading. I love books like The Gift of fear by Gavin Debecker and Meditations on violence by Rory Miller. Books that will make you give a whole new level of thought to your personal safety and your daily choices.