I am needing desperate advice on weight watchers vs. slim fast?

Options
Hi everybody!!!! It seems like slim fast works better but I am staying hungry. With the weight watchers point system I do well on but my weight doesn't seem like its coming off. What am I doing wrong? Virgolee

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Well, since you are on MFP, I would say do MFP. Not sure why you think anyone would suggest a different plan than that...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    You haven't given enough information to determine what, if anything, you are doing wrong. But, it sounds like you were either expecting weight loss to be quicker than it should be or you were overeating on WW, and now you are undereating on Slim Fast in an effort to lose quickly.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    If it was a choice between the two, then I think WW is better because its more sustainable. as you are here on MFP then id sugges you just use MFP. However you need to do what works for you, but with Slimfast will you be staying on it for the rest of your life? MFP encourages a lifestyle change and Slimfast encourages you to buy their product.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Lose the SlimFast shakes and diet food/meal replacements.. If you have an account with Weight Watchers can you speak to someone in their Help Forum..

I only say this because we specifically deal with calorie counting (CICO methods). I say choose a tool and use it 100% with focus and diligence and full commitment instead of 3 tools half way..
  • dreamer4045
    dreamer4045 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I am on Nutrisystem and I don't usually get hungry. Maybe you should consider another program.
  • RoxieDawn
    edited April 2015
    Options
    OP your profile mentions diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol and a family history of these as well.. Have you spoken with a doctor lately?
  • acollis1
    acollis1 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    There's no quick fix, you have to eat healthy and put the work in. Be honest, patient and consistant. Never use Slimfast, a can full of chemicals is never a healthy choice.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I was on Slim Fast (as I have tried many different programs) and can't imagine it being good for diabetics. It seemed to have a fairly high GI. It worked fairly well for the few months I was on it. But as mentioned by others, it did not prepare me for life after.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Use MFP, it's free and works.
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Use MFP, it's free and works.

OP has diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol and a family with a history of obesity and these medical issues.

There is no way for us to work this case out. There is a slew of things at bay here..
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I feel like both of those systems are horrible. I tried them, and they were not effective and were miserable. I am prediabetic, and my doctor told me a few things you might be able to use. Overall, she said to use the MyPlate system where 1/2 your plate is vegetables (less fruit for us than for most ppl, just let's say veg), 1/4 is lean meat, and 1/4 is whole grains. She also said to never eat a carb without a protein, and to have no more than 40 carbs in a meal, preferably 30. I recommend you go discuss this system with your doctor, and anything else s/he may recommend for you as a tactic for healthy eating.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I should be a bit more specific. whole grains OR complex carbs. So you could have a piece of whole wheat bread, or you could have a smallish sweet potato, for example.
  • decotterell
    decotterell Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'd say just do MFP. I lost 59.5 pounds to get to an ideal weight for my height. I did it just using MFP. Just follow the calorie limits they set. Your doing basically the same thing, except, I was never hungry.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    Wondering if you overdid it with the "free" fruits and veggies on Weight Watchers. You are only allowed to have a certain number of servings that count as zero points.

I would not in a million years use Slimfast. I have done WW successfully in the past but found it lacking the tracking I like with MFP so I am sure to get all my nutritional needs met.