Advice on cravings At work

Options
dsl24
dsl24 Posts: 3 Member
My biggest problem when it comes to food is that my weakness is fast-food. No matter how hard I try I just can't seem to cut out the cravings. A big problem is that I work at a fast food place so the food is readily and easily available to me. I will do great all day by eating healthy and stuff, but once I get to work I ruin all that I did by eating. I've brought food to work to eat, but I end up just leaving it there and eating the food at work. Does any one have any ideas or tips on how I can control those cravings and not give in to eating at work? I've gotten better with not eating out when I'm not at work, but it's still tough while I'm working.

Replies

• alibeec75
    alibeec75 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you've probably tried some of the obvious things, preparing your snacks, not going to work hungry etc...perhaps you'll need to look into a career switch? ;)

Any time you have a craving, try drinking a glass of water or having a healthy snack and force yourself to wait 15 or 20 minutes...

If you can make it through one day, you'll see that success is addictive and maybe you'll want to try 2 in a row.

Or a smaller goal, have half of what you would have allowed yourself to eat at work. Find something that works for you. Keep trying!

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Tough one. How about chewing on mint gum at work? Minty fries aren't quite as tasty.
  • CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options
    In your case, it might be best to plan for that eating, and work it into your day. If you ENJOY having fast food, have it. Just make your calories work around it, or earn some extra from working out.

That said, if you don't actually like it and eat just because it's in front of you, you need to find the willpower to resist, since there's no way to avoid it short of finding another type of job. :(
  • RunAshley821
    RunAshley821 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    many moons ago I worked in retail - and we had so many types of candy @ the store - always getting in the latest and greatest. I found it a big struggle to keep myself from buying candy every time I worked - so I know where you're coming from!

I'm not sure if this incentive would work for you - but perhaps each night you resist grabbing fast food at work take that $5 (or whatever your normal meal costs) and put it in a jar. Save the money until you have enough to buy something nice for yourself - like a new shirt, purse, fitbit, whatever it is you might have on your wish list. Just an idea :) good luck!
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Willpower, or find a new job.
  • CandiceMcD
    CandiceMcD Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I do not envy you at all!

If you want to stop eating fast food - I suggest getting a calendar together, and x off each day that you successfully make it through a day without it. Even on your days off, get yourself on a roll. Its like a visual to do list, or like, to don't list.

• aevonvett
    aevonvett Posts: 36 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I totally feel you. I worked in fast food in high school and college. Most fast food places have at least one or two healthy options. Grab a salad and throw a grilled chicken breast or on top of it and choose a vinaigrette dressing . And if you your craving it, have that small fry, just log it :wink: . Plan all your meals while at work. Whether you bring it or eat there, know what you're going to eat before you eat it. Heck, even log it before you eat it so you see where you'll end up at the end of the day. Lastly, if possible, on a break leave work. Don't eat there, eat somewhere else, even if it's in your car. It will be less tempting if it isn't right in front of your face. Good luck!