Hard work unappreciated At times

Options
I am a teacher and a small rule community school and sometimes students open up their mouth and speak before they realize what they're saying. I have been on this weight-loss journey for over 280 days and for the most part I have felt I have been on this journey alone. In the 280 days I am down 80 pounds and yes I am in awe of what I have accomplished so far and worked so hard for. I still have a ways to go before I reach my goal. Last week in the classroom I was chilly and one of the students was complaining they were hot. I have found out that through my weight-loss I am colder than usual and I guess it comes from not having the extra added insulation. The student blatantly looked at me and said well if you would add or gain some weight then maybe I would not be so cold all the time. I just wanted to give him a piece of my mind and ask him did he really know how hard it has been for me to lose the weight. Instead of giving him a piece of my mind I just turned and walked away because truly he did not know the journey I have been on but some people seem to be so ungrateful and uncaring and what they say to others.

Replies

• generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    That sucks :( I'm glad you know how hard you've worked and that's all that matters. Besides, kids aren't usually great at thinking before they speak, it's a trial and error thing lol. Keep it up, hun!
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Someone who has never tried to lose weight has no idea the dedication and determination it takes to change yourself and your habits. Adults are sometimes not much better but kids really have no clue. We here understand and know how hard it is and how amazing u have done ! Keep it up and dont let it get to u.
  • cj94404
    cj94404 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Kids are.brutally literal sometimes. My Goddaughter loves to comment on my looks and starts with, "No offence Auntie but your feet are ugly." She has never mentioned my weight but I have been told I am clumsy, not athletic, have bad hair, and wrinkles. Brutal. She just has no filter. So I feel your pain. But kids will never acknowledge our achievements. Not until they become adults. I am fairly sure even Angelina Jolie' s kids could care less about anything she does beyond their household.
  • sandymayhew2014
    sandymayhew2014 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone
  • Moobs2Go
    Moobs2Go Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had relatives that I would see once a year, and without fail, the first thing they would always say is, "Wow you've gotten fat." It hurts when people say mean things but as many have commented, kids have no filter. You know how hard your struggle has been. 80lbs is amazing. Just think of it this way, how could a child understand what it is like to lose 80lbs? Heck they barely weigh 80lbs. Kids can be cruel but you should not feel anything but pride in all you have accomplished. Don't lose faith and keep doing what you are doing because, clearly, it is working.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    Oh, kids. Not sure what age group you teach, but young kids just see black and white and tell it like it is. Most of the time. They may see a large or small body, but don't equate that to you as a person. A teenager? Well? We all know how out of control the teenage brain is. Not thinking before speaking is not limited to kids, either.

Good for you for realizing that they had no idea what you've gone through and just not responding at all.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    You really can't go about expecting other people to show appreciation for your weight loss. That is something you do for yourself, not for them. Children especially just ave no filters and zero frame of reference for understanding what you have had to do in order to reach your goals. I've had a little kid ask me why I am fat. I just told her the truth. I eat too much. It isn't her fault I am fat and I think with kids it is better to just be honest about it.

The important thing is that you know and appreciate what you have accomplished.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Congratz on your journey and its one of the things I notice, but am not sure why you should expect anything of your students. They are kids and your journey is not their responsibility. Losing weight is something most people do for themselves. There was another thread recently about family failing to support people with a similar angle.
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Well, look at it this way... you can choose to go up or down, that kid, however, must have had poor parenting in order to have that mouth. Maybe that is the case, maybe he just doesn't care (there are some like that) and will grow up to be the same type of adult. I've worked with those types. It's not cute at any age. Congrats on your progress!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Or the student could be a bit dim, thoughtless or just being a child. Im not seeing why the stydent should have to care or how you blame the parents for raising a child of that type.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My adorable children, the first time I lost a lot of weight, were my biggest fans. They were about the same age as your students now. This time around they are in their thirties and still my biggest fans, even though my daughter was not entirely thrilled on my approach. She's reconciled to that now and often says how proud she is of me.

Anyways, when they were school age, every time I lost a pound, my children would cheer and my son would try and pick me up, now that I was so much "lighter", LOL. No filters. Gotta love them.

My mom on the other hand, reacted like a rival as soon as I got thinner than her. That hurt.

It really helps to reconcile yourself that this enterprise is your own. It's your body; at the end of the day, it's all for you. Everyone else can just suck it up.

Get yourself a luxurious sweater for class. Maybe some fingerless gloves and a muffler, too. Have a good laugh over this with your students.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I would tell this student to be mature about life and consider others for a change!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    like... obviously things have changed. When I was a kid my parents would have KILLED me for opening my mouth and being so rude!
  • Ocrgrrrl
    Ocrgrrrl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    That's interesting...I would have taken that as a compliment. Haha! Of course in a weird way because teenagers are so weird and can be disrespectful at times. And believe me, I know! I teach freshmen and I've learned to grow a thick skin.
    Be proud of yourself for your accomplishments! No one can take that away from you. We all understand and support you!
  • bhealthy1516
    bhealthy1516 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You should be so proud of yourself. I had a lousy day at my stupid job today its only my first day back on again though, and I am NOT going off.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    That's interesting...I would have taken that as a compliment. Haha! Of course in a weird way because teenagers are so weird and can be disrespectful at times. And believe me, I know! I teach freshmen and I've learned to grow a thick skin.
    Be proud of yourself for your accomplishments! No one can take that away from you. We all understand and support you!

Agreed!

BRAVO - 80 lbs!!! Inspiring.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I am a teacher and a small rule community school and sometimes students open up their mouth and speak before they realize what they're saying. I have been on this weight-loss journey for over 280 days and for the most part I have felt I have been on this journey alone. In the 280 days I am down 80 pounds and yes I am in awe of what I have accomplished so far and worked so hard for. I still have a ways to go before I reach my goal. Last week in the classroom I was chilly and one of the students was complaining they were hot. I have found out that through my weight-loss I am colder than usual and I guess it comes from not having the extra added insulation. The student blatantly looked at me and said well if you would add or gain some weight then maybe I would not be so cold all the time. I just wanted to give him a piece of my mind and ask him did he really know how hard it has been for me to lose the weight. Instead of giving him a piece of my mind I just turned and walked away because truly he did not know the journey I have been on but some people seem to be so ungrateful and uncaring and what they say to others.

Well, it is true that when you were 80 pounds heavier you were warmer. You would most likely be warmer if you put on weight again or had more body hair....but you could also just wear a sweater or something and enjoy a longer healthier life.
    I probably would have laughed because it was a dumb teenage comment.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    this is a picture of a room full of all the people that truly care how much weight you've lost and how much hard work goes into it.

3d_empty_room_01_hd_picture_167786.jpg
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    this is a picture of a room full of all the people that truly care how much weight you've lost and how much hard work goes into it.

3d_empty_room_01_hd_picture_167786.jpg

Sad but 100% true.

What is a "rule community school"?

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I am blaming spell check, *rural