Intro

Options
Names Duane, been a hard gainer most of my life, finally stop the one big meal a day and start mult meals and went from 170 which ive hovered my whole life to 190. my ideal weight is 220. open to all tips and support.

Replies

• dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    eat more...
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    You really shouldn't be trying to measure your progress with your body weight dude. That is a slippery slope to the land of false gains (aka fat). Try to focus on lifting numbers. The bulking 101 sticky is a good place to start. If you want to add 30lbs of lean mass, you also need to recognize that is going to take you about 1.5-2 years to achieve, given you can really only add about 2lbs of mass per month (at least at first, this will taper off to a 1lb or less the bigger you get).
  • Brolympus
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Moar info to supplement the sticky. This site has lots of good info: aworkoutroutine.com/the-ultimate-weight-training-workout-routine/
  • Dllawson451
    Dllawson451 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Brolympus wrote: »
    You really shouldn't be trying to measure your progress with your body weight dude. That is a slippery slope to the land of false gains (aka fat). Try to focus on lifting numbers. The bulking 101 sticky is a good place to start. If you want to add 30lbs of lean mass, you also need to recognize that is going to take you about 1.5-2 years to achieve, given you can really only add about 2lbs of mass per month (at least at first, this will taper off to a 1lb or less the bigger you get).

• Dllawson451
    Options
    i really don mind getting fat, as long as i can still do simple calesthetics like pull up and chin ups, i can loose weight unbelievable fast,
  • Dllawson451
    Options
    dieselbyte wrote: »
    eat more...
    i have been eating more, i also up my daily calorie intake alot with a mass gainer
  • Brolympus
    edited April 2015
    Options
    i really don mind getting fat, as long as i can still do simple calesthetics like pull up and chin ups, i can loose weight unbelievable fast,

If you are dropping more than a 0.5lbs/week when you cut, you are going to lose muscle with it. I encourage you to read up on the info I provided and the bulking thread sticky before you jump into anything, or you are going to end up frustrated with your results.

You could end up bulking for a year, get stronger but gain tons of fat because you are focused on body weight numbers, and then get hasty to get shredded come summertime and cut too aggressively because you "sloppy bulked", drop tons of weight, and end up losing all your gains in the process. This is a common newbie mistake that comes up over and over in the forums, and you will burn up a whole year of your time and end up pretty much where you started.

Lay a plan out that includes bulking at a moderate surplus (your TDEE + 300-400 calories), and then starting your cut far enough in advance that you can drop 0.5lbs per week . Also, note that your body gains muscle much faster at body fat % between 10-20%. This is called the P-ratio. The more fat you pack on, the less likely your body will put extra calories into muscle. I would plan your bulk such that you stop once you hit 20% bf, then cut down to 12-15%.