Weight loss and skin

Options
Hi all,

I am working on shifting a lot of weight - going from 319lbs to 252 in 4-5months (April 1st to September 11th). I am walking everyday - covering about 4 miles during the week... more at weekend.

I am worried that once I lose this weight, I will be left with excess skin. Is there anything I can do to reduce this AS I am losing it?
So it isnt September and I am slimmer but have these layers of skin left over.

Thanks!

James

Replies

• SuzieR
    SuzieR Posts: 127
    Options
    This worries me too!
    I have no answers, but I'm increasing my activity levels (slowly at first - walking faster, introducing a low impact exercise DVD a few times a week ... I'm building up to do Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred in the summer holidays) in the hope that this will help me tone up, but I await further wisdom and answers with interest!
  • lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Water, water, water water! Drinking loads of water keeps your skin elastic. Also I'd try to loose the weight relatively slowly.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I have lost close to 50 pounds and yes there is loose skin. My belly recovered fine but my upper arms blow in the wind....I could use some help. Have stared jumping rope only because I like it. Thanks for asking the question...I need suggestions to,
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    yes Water and resistance training should keep the skin sagginess to a more minimal level:)
  • angiemartin78
    angiemartin78 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I agree with lottycat...WATER!! You could also try a good lotion. Have you talked with your Dr about this? Maybe they could offer some insight.
  • lisafred24
    lisafred24 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    You need strength training in addition to your cardio. Cardio will help you lose weight...strength training will help firm it up.
  • fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Don't lose the weight too quickly. I lost over 50lbs in 5 years and I still got a bit of flabby skin but not as bad as it would have been if I had of lost the weight quickly.

Exercise is key too.
  • ChristyP0303
    ChristyP0303 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    bump...also a worry for me!
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    There are tons of factors that go into play with how well the elasticity of your skin bounces back

If you have tanned a good majority of your life, chances are your elasticity will be damaged.

If you lose weight too quickly, you are not giving your body enough time to adjust.

If you don't drink lots of water, you will dehydrate your skin, making the elasticity not as elastic.

It also depends on genes.

It depends on if you have streach marks (from babies or what not) as those have permanently damaged the elasticity in the tear.

your best bet is to lose the weight slowly and drink lots of water. Make sure you stay moisturized, and dont tan.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Basically take your time. Losing quickly doesn't allow the skin to shrink enough as that shrinking is a slow process. Having said that there are so many factors that play into this it is hard to say what will happen with an individual. I don't have a lot of loose skin, although it is not a tight as it was before I lost the weight. I took my time in losing the weight though, drank lots of water, and ate a good balance of protein and healthy fats. When it comes down to it you will likely have some loose skin, and it may take as much as 2 years after you lose the weight for it to shrink as much as it likely will, but at the same time you will be healthier. Incorporate strength training as well as it will provide a solid backing for the skin, and that might help.
  • VictorinoDennis
    Options
    You need strength training in addition to your cardio. Cardio will help you lose weight...strength training will help firm it up.

This is true. You need to build the muscle.
  • Carek99
    Carek99 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Great article here, I read it after reading your question.

http://www.bodyfatguide.com/LooseSkin.htm

According to the article rapid weight loss is at least 20% loss of muscle (usually more). The way to reduce the excess skin problem is to rebuild muscle as you diet. This is another reason a weight loss of 1-2 pounds (more if you are heavier and base it on percentage of weight) is the weight loss considered healthy.

So, even if it slows your weight loss, and it wil, you should do strength training to rebuild muscle as you work out.

I had also have heard that staying well hydrated can help your skin remain elastic enough to avoid the problem but I don't have any scientific evidence to back that claim up.
  • makcarly
    makcarly Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    This is one of my biggest fears. Well, along with completely falling off the wagon! I have lost 38 lbs. since January. I have A LOT of weight to lose and could have lost a lot more but I am hoping that losing it slower will help with the loose skin issue. Slow and steady wins the race!! Good luck!
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I'm working on the water and weight lifting theory. I'll let you know about skin elasticity in 100 more lbs. On workout days I drink about 1.5 gals of water, only 1 gal on non-workout days. As of today, 79 lbs down and no saggy skin issues (yet).
  • Roe1968
    Roe1968 Posts: 133
    Options
    water, water, water.....weight training.....big jug of vitamin E....and tons of dips for the back of the arm, running for overall tightness
  • WildWayz
    WildWayz Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. By strength train, do you mean joining a gym? I tried that several times but being unable to get on the machines, or the pool was full meant I gave up and it became a chore.
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    Ok, chiming in here :) I tend to repeat myself a lot with this issue. I have a FAQ post in my blog that can help with understanding the whole loose skin issue.

There are so many issues that come into play with loose skin. The biggest are genetics, age and how long you have been overweight/obese. Personally for me it was something that I made myself put in the back of my mind because nothing was going to stop me from losing weight. You can hide extra skin but being fat you can't :smile:
  • BobertC
    BobertC Posts: 123
    Options
    I need help with that to, water is all I know so far
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. By strength train, do you mean joining a gym? I tried that several times but being unable to get on the machines, or the pool was full meant I gave up and it became a chore.

The pool was full? With water, I hope.

No more excuses... go to the gym. Pick up the dumbells. Lift them. Repeat often.