In Defense of "Bro Science"

Options
LoneWolfRunner
LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
edited March 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I have been somewhat amused with the abundance of those on MFP who revel in spoofing other posters about so called "bro science" to put down any theory that allegedly has been debunked by modern science. Most of the commentators ridiculing "bro science" insinuate (and sometimes outright proclaim) that they have attained the epitome of nutritional and dietary knowledge and that their corner on the truth has rendered all else as unworkable, scoffable myth. While I acknowledge and understand that "science" has a useful place in diet and nutrition, I also think it is rash to adhere to every new scientific doctrine as the new and final truth. Science is a slippery thing and I have seen it used to justify some rather specious claims.

In the mid to late 1980s, I owned and operated a gym/fitness center in western Pennsylvania and me and my weightlifting buddies thrived on this much maligned "bro science". At that time, the leading "scientific" journals we had to rely upon was Iron Man magazine and Joe Weider's Muscle and Fitness. We followed their diets, their nutritional advice, their workout routines and swallowed handfuls of their supplements. It was the heyday of "bro science".

We memorized every line in Pumping Iron, we believed in starvation mode and in good and bad food. We never counted calories, had no idea there was any such thing as macros (and if we had we would have mocked it as being girly). When we bulked up, we pounded pounds of skinless broiled chicken breasts, baked potatoes, whole grain bread, cans and cans and cans of tuna, crates of eggs and bags of brown rice. When we cut, we eliminated fats, salt, sugar and carbs. We drank all kinds of protein powders, carbohydrate boosters, put yohimbe bark extract under our tongues, took herbal testosterone boosters, amino acids in "pharmaceutical grade" powder form and anything else Arnold, Lou and Franco told us too.

And guess what? It worked. And not just for me and my training partners. Over the years, I had dozens of overweight members wanting to get into shape and dozens of skinny little twerps who no longer wanted sand kicked in their face come into my gym. And I preached my gospel of "bro science" to them and told them if they would get all the junk and crap out of their diet and stop slamming Big Macs and pie and would come in regularly and pump some iron, they could achieve their goals. And they did.

So while I believe that new information and knowledge is important, I also believe that "bro science" still has a place because it keeps things simple and it works, even if the "science" behind is being temporarily debunked.

And just for fun, here are some old pictures from those days when I was much younger and still had my hair and was totally immersed in my "bro science"... lol... I was a whopping 149 pounds in these pics...
ht4vimjwr8pk.jpg
6thl7fbgstzu.jpg
ws6l3y0hlpns.jpg

Replies

• MarciBkonTrk
    MarciBkonTrk Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Okay.

THIS!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    And guess what? It worked.

No doubt.

But you know how it is with religion...you can't just do the right thing, you have to do it for the right reasons and kiss the right ring, or you're a heathen anyway.

:drinker:

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    1351116165579.gif
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    When we bulked up, we pounded pounds of skinless broiled chicken breasts, baked potatoes, whole grain bread, cans and cans and cans of tuna, crates of eggs and bags of brown rice. When we cut, we eliminated fats, salt, sugar and carbs. We drank all kinds of protein powders, carbohydrate boosters, put yohimbe bark extract under our tongues, took herbal testosterone boosters, amino acids in "pharmaceutical grade" powder form and anything else Arnold, Lou and Franco told us too.
    I also believe that "bro science" still has a place because it keeps things simple and it works, even if the "science" behind is being temporarily debunked.

Say what now?
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    When we bulked up, we pounded pounds of skinless broiled chicken breasts, baked potatoes, whole grain bread, cans and cans and cans of tuna, crates of eggs and bags of brown rice. When we cut, we eliminated fats, salt, sugar and carbs. We drank all kinds of protein powders, carbohydrate boosters, put yohimbe bark extract under our tongues, took herbal testosterone boosters, amino acids in "pharmaceutical grade" powder form and anything else Arnold, Lou and Franco told us too.
    I also believe that "bro science" still has a place because it keeps things simple and it works, even if the "science" behind is being temporarily debunked.

Say what now?

Exactly what I was going to say.

Eating less than you burn and watching your macros is a thousand times easier than your "simple". IMO.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

Say what now?

Eating less than you burn and watching your macros is a thousand times easier than your "simple". IMO.

Then why do so many MFPers fail?
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

Say what now?

The same reason so many people not on MFP fail - because they don't want it enough.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,604 Member
    Options
    Anyone that puts time in the gym, gets enough rest, is well disciplined and eats decently can achieve a competitor's status. Like the OP I spent lots of time in the gym, gulped protein, did an insane amount of sets and reps and built a decent physique. But I don't doubt that anyone who puts in the work can't do the same even if they don't follow "broscience" techniques.
    Personally when I dumped the supplements (which I was spending lots on), and just kept my protein up along with a small surplus and trained hard, I kept building. This was when I started researching more and actually learning about physiology and how it actually worked.
    Nowadays, I bite my lip when some of my peers still adhere to it, but hey that's their philosophy and it's none of my business in what they want to believe.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Mr_Knight
    edited April 2015
    Options

Say what now?

The same reason so many people not on MFP fail - because they don't want it enough.

Well, if they're going to fail at something that is "a thousand times easier", I guess there's just no hope for them to ever reach success.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I don't really understand your position. When I write a technical paper, I don't discuss outdated techniques and algorithms that worked well at the time. I reference the latest science that has been demonstrated to be superior to the old techniques, and I try to find ways to improve upon the latest and greatest.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

Say what now?

Well, if they're going to fail at something that is "a thousand times easier", I guess there's just no hope for them to ever reach success.

We're going to do this, are we?

You're presented with two options.

The first:
    pounded pounds of skinless broiled chicken breasts, baked potatoes, whole grain bread, cans and cans and cans of tuna, crates of eggs and bags of brown rice
    we eliminated fats, salt, sugar and carbs
    We drank all kinds of protein powders, carbohydrate boosters
    put yohimbe bark extract under our tongues
    took herbal testosterone boosters
    amino acids in "pharmaceutical grade" powder form
    anything else Arnold, Lou and Franco told us too

The second:
    Count your calories/macros
    Remain in a deficit to lose, surplus to gain.

Which one is simpler?

If someone see success with the first - yay. They should do it - they should do whatever works for them. But let's not be ridiculous.

And if people are failing with the second - it's the fault of the formula? Because when I stopped losing weight, it was my fault.

Just to be clear, I'm speaking of weight loss only.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I get it OP and I think there's a real message in your post. "Bro science" as I think you're using it and in my attempt to try and translate it into modern lingo, is basically crowd-sourced, experiential information; the same as lots of human knowledge. Some of it is correct; some of it is flat out wrong; some of it is "correct" but not for the reasons ostensibly behind it. Just another way that the collective "we" gain knowledge (even if some of it is mistaken).

But when I see the term "bro science" these days, I think of it as a term used to mean "misguided, incorrect, but popularly-held beliefs."
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    It worked so well that you are posting pictures from 30 years ago rather than current ones. Seems legit.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options

Say what now?

It's pretty obvious reading the 1200 calorie/not losing threads. They're looking for reasons to fail (proves that being overweight isn't your own fault!), or are too stubborn to realize or admit they're over-complicating it or being lackadaisical. They'll fail at everything else they try for the same reasons. It has nothing to do with how simple the concept is.
  • Mr_Knight
    edited April 2015
    Options

Say what now?

We're going to do this, are we?

You're presented with two options.

The first:
    pounded pounds of skinless broiled chicken breasts, baked potatoes, whole grain bread, cans and cans and cans of tuna, crates of eggs and bags of brown rice
    we eliminated fats, salt, sugar and carbs
    We drank all kinds of protein powders, carbohydrate boosters
    put yohimbe bark extract under our tongues
    took herbal testosterone boosters
    amino acids in "pharmaceutical grade" powder form
    anything else Arnold, Lou and Franco told us too

The second:
    Count your calories/macros
    Remain in a deficit to lose, surplus to gain.

Which one is simpler?

Depends on the person.

More to the point...most are failing at the second option anyway, so it really makes no tangible difference - simplicity (the original selling point) just doesn't matter much.
  • summalovaable
    summalovaable Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    your physical appearance is not necessarily related to your internal functions - a very important point to remember in the name of bro science.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Cortelli wrote: »

But when I see the term "bro science" these days, I think of it as a term used to mean "misguided, incorrect, but popularly-held beliefs."

This ^

Even the USDA is responsible for bro science, remember the food triangle or try and get a straight answer from your doctor on egg consumption.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Lol... too many delayed responses to a whiskey post... I don't even remember why I posted it... probably to play with all the scientists here. :)