Shrimp!! Ideas!!

Options
JesaGrace
JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
I bought some food club peeled and deveined cooked shrimp.....and I don't know what to do with them....I don't have shrimp too often....and I wanted some other choices besides thawing them and eating them plain...which is still good....just wanted some variety....

Replies

• brittanybotsford
    brittanybotsford Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm actually having shrimp tonight! I am going to cook in the skillet with a tiny tiny bit of maragine (maybe spray butter) and pepper and garlic and serve it over spinach leaves (you could serve it over rice if you wanted). It's very simple and delicious!
  • denise980
    denise980 Posts: 296
    Options
    Make a salad and use them as the meat instead of chicken or steak. They go great with a ceasar salad!!
  • BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I marinate mine in a steak house marinade, put them on some skewers, and grill them.
  • kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Cook some whole wheat pasta. Sautte the shrimp with some garlic, mushrooms, onions, and/or whatever else you like, and add it all together. :) Or put it in a salad.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Heat up a couple of tablespoons of olive oil and sautee some garlic, zuccini and onion in it. Add your shrimp and cook until almost done. Add some tomatoes and finish cooking until heated through. Toss with some whole grain pasta and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
  • lallaloolly
    lallaloolly Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    go to food.com and type in shrimp in the search engine. i love that site for coming up with recipe ideas.
  • debbiestew
    debbiestew Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Try Seviche.It is great with a souffle, spinach salad, or alone

http://www.daisycooks.com/pages/recipes_detail.cfm?ID=9

Makes me feel like a gourmet cook when I fix this.
  • bradbyu
    bradbyu Posts: 14
    Options
    My favorite is Cajun style! I'm sure you can find a recipe online somewhere for a good taste of the south.
  • mbowman323
    mbowman323 Posts: 216
    Options
    Add them to salads, make a seafood pasta salad, umm make a cheviche....you could always look online for cooked shrimp recipes as well :)
  • debbiestew
    debbiestew Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    1 ½ pounds large (about 20 per pound) shrimp, shelled and deveined
    1 yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into thin strips about 2 inches long
    1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into thin strips about 2 inches long
    Half a small red onion, cut into thin slivers
    1 small bunch cilantro, thick stems removed, the rest chopped coarsely
    1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon fine sea or kosher salt
    1 Scotch bonnet, jalapeno or hot chili pepper of your choice, stemmed and minced
    12 lemons, or as needed
    8 limes, or as needed
    4 oranges, or as needed
    Like sofrito, there are a million variations on this theme. Use this very simple recipe as the base for your own.

1. Toss the shrimp, yellow and red pepper, onion, cilantro, salt and chili pepper together in a bowl to mix them evenly. Pack into a non-reactive container (a 2-quart glass jar works well). Squeeze the citrus, strain out any seeds and pour over the shrimp and vegetables. There should be enough juice to cover the shrimp and vegetables, if not add more. Seal the container and refrigerate until the shrimp is opaque, 12 hours to one day.
  • manymuses
    manymuses Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Marinate them with a little olive oil, garlic, lemon and spices,skewer them on a stick and grill them on medium heat for a few minutes- deliciousness.
  • Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    recipematcher.com has great recipe ideas. Just type in the ingredients you have (and would like to use) and it gives you a bunch of recipes to choose from. It also tells you the percentage of ingredeints you have to complete the recipe. So if you find one you like with 80% or higher, chances are you may be able to omit some of the extra stuff depending on what it is.
  • AllisonS79
    AllisonS79 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    That's almost exactly what I had for dinner last night! I'm on the HCG diet so I can't have any fat, though. So I cooked them in a little bit of chicken broth (fat free) with some salt, garlic powder & white pepper. I sauteed the spinich the same way and served the shrimp over the spinach. Yum :)

Another good idea for shrimp is to serve it with whole wheat pasta, peas (frozen, thawed are better than from a can) and some low-fat cream sauce. For the sauce you can buy a packet of alfredo mix but make it with lowfat milk.
  • SLPGirl
    SLPGirl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Shrimp Creole!! I just posted the recipe in here! Tasty but loaded with veggies and it tastes great!
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I have a hankerin' for asian shrimp fajitas... make like a stir fry of onions, peppers and sprouts but cook it a little bit longer than for a stirfry. Use ginger, garlic, and a wee drop of soy sauce for flavor... use some hot peppers in there too if you want. When everything is done throw in the shrimp (since they're already cooked) and warm them through. Spoon into a whole wheat fajita tortilla (make your own they're better that way) You can top with a little bit of raw purple cabbage if you want. So good.

Also if you want to make it indian style.. you can just omit sprouts and instead of the soy sauce and use a little red curry powder.
  • eamconnor
    eamconnor Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Hmm. Somewhere else on this site is a suggestion for spring rolls. I added some shrimp, and now have 12 very portable, very good-tasting high-protein rolls for lunch or dinner. Three are perfect for me for a meal. I can't find the original post, but here's what I've come up with. (The original post used a bag of "cole slaw mix," which works okay, but is just cut-up cabbage.)

1/2 large or 1 small head cabbage, shredded
    2 carrots, shredded
    2 radishes, shredded
    8 oz mushrooms
    fresh grated ginger to taste
    10 green onions (I used just the white part)
    2-3 cloves garlic
    1 lb shrimp
    Spring roll wrappers

Saute the garlic and onions in about one T oil (or spray, I suppose). Add other ingredients until cabbage is soft. Add shrimp, cooked, cleaned, and chopped. Let mixture cool and wrap in spring roll wrappers. (Directions are on the container.) Use a little bit of egg white to seal the ends of wrappers. The original recipe called for baking the spring rolls for abot 25 min at 350. That's great, but really not necessary. These are great with hoisin sauce or just plain. Depending on the ingredients and type of wrapper, they're about 80-100 calories each.

As you can see, the recipe can be adapted to incorporate whatever vegetable/sauce strikes your fancy. I add carrot and radish largely because I like the splash of color.

These proportions will fill a large saute pan.

Enjoy!
  • dizzielizzie99
    dizzielizzie99 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Our favorite is from the chatelaine web site Teriyaki Shrimp stir fry served on rice http://food.chatelaine.com/recipes/view/teriyaki_shrimp_stir_fry/9792

Ingredients

* 1 lb (500 g) fresh shrimp or 340-g pkg frozen uncooked, peeled large shrimp
    * 2 celery stalks, sliced
    * 1 red pepper, chopped
    * 1 small zucchini, sliced
    * 2 green onions, sliced
    * vegetable oil
    * 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) bottled chopped garlic or 2 garlic cloves, minced
    * 2 tsp (10 mL) bottled chopped ginger or grated fresh ginger
    * 3 tbsp (45 mL) teriyaki sauce
    * 1 tsp (5 mL) dark sesame oil

1. If using frozen shrimp, rinse under cold water to melt ice crystals. Drain, then pat dry. Prepare vegetables.
    2. Lightly coat a wide frying pan with vegetable oil. Set over medium-high heat. Add celery, pepper and zucchini. Stir-fry until pepper starts to soften, 3 minutes. Add shrimp, garlic and ginger. Stir-fry until shrimp turn pink, 2 to 3 minutes. Add teriyaki and onions. Stir until hot, 1 minute. Drizzle with sesame oil. Serve over rice.

Nutrients per serving (not including rice)

* 19 g protein
    * 2.7 g fat
    * 8.1 g carbohydrates
    * 1.4 g fibre
    * 2.7 mg iron
    * 70 mg calcium
    * 134 calories
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I sautee mine in garlic, shallots, some spices then add spinach to the mix.. in another pan I cook up chicken breast add it all together and place it on top of pasta.

I usually make a shrimp and spinach fritatta as well for breakfast yum...

If I still have troubles figuring out what to do I tend to google shrimp recipes and go from there =)
  • 1crazymom
    1crazymom Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com has some great recipies!