Having Mexican - Need help from Low Carbers Please!

Options
sassiebritches
sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
Its my birthday and a couple of friends are taking me out to lunch....Mexican is our only real option here in town...or chinese. I picked Mexican...BUT I am on day 10 of induction, hoping some of my Low Carb peeps can give me some suggestions of what to order rather than derailing myself.....or should I just choose chinese?????

Please if you don't eat Low Carb or do not have a Low Carb response do not answer, I like my healthy eating plan and need some real suggestions along those lines....Thank you

Replies

• MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I would say chinese its going to be much easier to stick with your plan ..mexican may be a carb disaster lol
  • amylouise1976
    Options
    I would stick with refried beans and a soft chicken taco if it were me.
  • brittanybotsford
    brittanybotsford Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The other night I made taco meet at home and we ate them on lettuce wraps instead... actually really delicious. You could see if the restaurant has any lettuce wraps?
  • lisafred24
    lisafred24 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Texas Fajitas. They wil have steak, chicken and shrimp. You can either choose not to eat the onions and green peppers that come along with it or you could eat them for low good carbs. Do not eat tortilla chips or the flour tortillas served with the fajitas.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Mexican could actually be very easy - fajitas! Just skip the rice, probably the beans and the tortillas. Watch what toppings you add to the meat and veggies too. Mexican restaurants usually have steak or chicken options as well. You could also look to see if the restaurant you have chosen has any of their information online so you can plan ahead that way too.
  • jsparent5
    jsparent5 Posts: 5
    Options
    You can always remove the wrap from the dish you order.... it should be easy if you order something like a burrito. Also, some meat you order in chinese restaurants have a lot of fat.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    Get the fajitas or get the taco salad and don't eat the tortilla shells.

I perfer the Texas fijitas with steak, shrimp and chic. If you are afraid you can't resist the wrap, ask them to not bring them.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    FAJITAS!!! No tortillas. I just tell them not to even bring the tortillas. Ask for no rice. And you are good to go. Just put the chips on the other side of the table as soon as you get there so you don't grab without thinking. I'm amazed with how easy Mexican is to do low carb and low calorie ---- and not as high in sodium as Chinese.
  • Jhensley2011
    Jhensley2011 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I think Mexican would be the better choice. You can skip the tortillas and rice. Anytime I'm craving it but dont' want to derail the diet plan, I order chicken or steak fajitas and just don't eat the tortillas that come with them. You're left with the meat, peppers, onions and cheese. Still delicious and low carb. Not to mention it's not FRIED like a lot of chinese food is. Now I'm hungry :-)

Good Luck and Happy Birthday!

j
  • PegJ
    PegJ Posts: 7
    Options
    Fish taco, then eat just the insides with a fork. (Easier to do if in a soft shell.)
  • shelly101079
    Options
    Fajita salad if they have it or chicken salad. Remember to say "NO TORTILLAS PLEASE!" Loaded with salsa you can also have guacamole loaded on too! Cheat with your servings but NOT with tortillas!
  • stark23x
    stark23x Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Steak or chicken fajitas, skip the tortilla, just eat the meat & peppers/onions. Black beans, no rice. They have carbs (40-ish grams per cup) but 12-15 grams of fiber, so they're incredibly useful carbs. Other than that, it's just going to be discipline to not eat all the fried corn or soft white flour everything!
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Mexican! We don't have Mexican restaurant in our town. Probably a good thing.
  • therealkittymao
    therealkittymao Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Mexican for low carb options. They usually have a refried bean dip, so order that with cheese and salsa!
  • alpepp
    alpepp Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Fajitas and double black beans. Delicious! I live in the heart of amazing Tex-Mex food (outside of Houston) and am able to eat well and healthy at most of my joints. Agree with above posters - ask the server to bring no rice or tortillas. Also, have your table mates keep the chips on the opposite side of the table. Oh man, I want some fajitas now...
  • showsteeler36
    Options
    Try fajitas without the tortilla.rice,or beans. Mix the meat up with your grilled veggies and add a side of avocado and pico de gallo. Good luck. P.S......No chips and def. no margaritas or beer. The best part of a mexican rest.Lol.
  • bellyto5k
    bellyto5k Posts: 26
    Options
    I am with the fajitas option. chicken or steak with the veggies, just mix it on your plate with some cheese and salsa (not pretty but still good!) . Skip the wraps and the rice if you can, but a little bit on date night wont kill you either!
  • stephwats84
    stephwats84 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Taco salad with either meat/chicken or both tomatoes no cheese some avacados and use salsa as the dressing if it comes in one of those tortilla bowls just tell them you want it with out the bowl!! Good luck!
  • dcg8r
    dcg8r Posts: 38
    Options
    Is it a chain restaurant? If so, you can look up the menu items ahead of time to look for options. On the Border has a "Fresh Grill" menu section, just don't eat the rice that comes with it.
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Not a chain restaraunt and I am feeling that I could control my food best if I eat Chinese at this point. I eat Atkins, I am not afraid of some fats....just the carbs...YIKES...ok wish me luck...