Don't have time to exercise??

Options
Abells
Abells Posts: 756 Member
I just read this great article about People who say they don't have time to exercise and they bring up the little tid bits you can work into your daily routine to add a bit of exercise!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andrea-metcalf/desk-exercises_b_860357.html?icid=maing-grid7|aim|dl7|sec3_lnk1|64104

Replies

• Heidi1987
    Heidi1987 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    great info! Thanks for sharing
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I hate that excuse. There is always time to find in the day to get a workout in. I work full time and do everything everyone else does and I find more than enough time.
  • denise980
    denise980 Posts: 296
    Options
    Nice. Thanks for the information!
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I agree! That's why i wake up early to run! but i might try some of these -- squats are awesome!
  • lina20
    lina20 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    thanks.
  • tjames30
    tjames30 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    You people who hate excuses not to exercise, do you have children?
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Yup, a 14 year old and a 8 year old. And a full time job, and a house and a garden, and a social life, and have to cook, clean, do laundry etc.
  • fcrisswell
    fcrisswell Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I use to say that too....but there is always time. If you have time to watch TV in the evening you have time to exercise. I work full-time and have 2 children (one of whom likes to wake at 4-5AM every morning) and I still find time! It may be my lunch hour or after the kids are in bed. I don't think I have watched any regular TV shows in the evenings in forever! By the time I lay down at night It is 9 or 10 and then I am trying to get in some sleep before the day starts agian at 4 or 5!
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    One time I was listening to the radio and Bob from the Biggest Loser was being interviewed. He said that everyone has the same 24 hours in a day, its how you chose to use it that makes a difference. If you can't find thirty minutes to exercise its not because you don't have the time, its because you don't want it bad enough.

That totally rang true for me. I work full time, have two young kids and go to school full time/ish (its university of phoenix, so its one night a week, but a lot of paper writing!). I have managed to find time in between helping both kids with their homework, doing my own, cooking dinner, cleaning the house, grocery shopping and being a good wife to get my thirty minutes of exercise on a day. If you want it bad enough you will find the time. :)
  • fcrisswell
    fcrisswell Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    To add: I may not get an hour in or burn 700 calories like some others do but I like the ME time that bit of exercise gives me now. Even if it is just 30 min to walk or 20 min to play Wii Cardio Boxing or doing 50 situps or squats...it is something. I am a realist and also a bit OCD about my house so the little time I spend doing some form of exercise is my stress relief.
  • amalsam
    amalsam Posts: 8
    Options
    One can ALWAYS make time if the WANT to!!! That is key... the excuse of "I have no time" translated properly means "I don't WANT to." :)

Ya have to want it!

That said there are days where the clock is my enemy... normal schedule gets all skewed... sometimes there just are days like that... but there are little things one can always do.. Might not be optimum.. might not be a full workout... but something is better than nothing in this regard :)
  • 13marta
    13marta Posts: 8
    Options
    There are so many opportunities to exercise without it seeming like exercise. Like taking the stairs vs. elevators, parking farther, standing on one foot while doing the dishes, The list goes on and on. Thanks for sharing site.
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I know everyone is different, but I LOVE to exercise and find the time even though I have three (soon to be four!) children under 5. I just get them involved with the exercising I'm doing, or I'll do it during nap/quiet time. My 4 year old daughter is obsessed with yoga, and does it all the time with me. Makes good bonding time, too.
  • Jizes318
    Jizes318 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link!! Now people can ditch the excuses LOL
  • kac452
    kac452 Posts: 10
    Options
    I have 3 elementary aged children, work full time, my husband is self- employed so he works long crazy hours. I pretty much take care of everything at home on my own and I still MAKE time to exercise.
  • tjames30
    tjames30 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I used to go to the gym religiously at 5 am or go to the park and walk after work. I now have a 10 yr old, 8 yr old and a 10 month old. Since having my daughter I just can't find the time or I feel quilty not coming straight home from work. I get up at 5 as it is to get myself and 3 kids ready for the day and I work until 5 or 6 pm. Also, during tax season, from January til the end of April I was working 55-60 hours a week. By the end of the day I just want to go home and see my baby girl! I feel like i barely get to spend any time with her. Plus I have to feed everyone and bathe the baby and shower myself and clean up dinner and put baby to bed and I still don't get to bed until 10-10:30. I am hoping now that my 10 month old is weaned, I'm not working overtime and school is about to be out that things will slow down and I will have time to exercise. I have been trying to take the stroller to my older kids soccer practices and walk around the soccer complex. I am thinking about trying to squeeze in a walk on my lunch break now that I am not going to the daycare to breastfeed my little one. I know that I need to make the time and put myself first, but it's really hard!
  • pittielover23
    pittielover23 Posts: 268
    Options
    Great article, thanks! I think everyone has time to exercise, it is just about making it a priority and fitting it in. If I can find time (work full time plus (50+ hours a week), go to school full time, have a puppy and husband I have to see on occassion too), then I think anyone can! I actually feel like I have more energy to get everything that is on my plate done when I exercise. I may not spend 2 hours at the gym everyday, but I do spend 20-30min a day exercising and I just make the time I have count.
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Baby and Me exercises. http://www.dswfitness.com/docs/Mom&BabyExercise.pdf
    Not sure if it would work for a crawling 10 month old, but worth a try and good bonding!
  • alinakapur
    Options
    Thanks for info. Exercise always good for health.

http://www.ecancerchemotherapy.com/
  • borichfan
    borichfan Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    You can always find time to exercise, if it's important to you, you need to make it your first priority over anything else.