Healthiest Convenience Foods

Options
According to a recent article on diet and nutrition, the following are supposed to be some of the healthiest convenience foods:

Healthy Choice Sundried Tomato and Chicken Alfredo with Broccoli
Amy's Light in Sodium Shepherd's Pie
Weight Watcher's Smart Ones Spaghetti with Meat Sauce
Lean Cuisine Butternut Squash Ravioli
Lean Cuisine Spa Collection Hunan Stir Fry with Beef
Amy's Indian Vegetable Korma
Kashi Lemongrass Coconut Chicken

What are some of your healthy convenience foods that be purchased at most grocery stores?

Replies

• adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I really like much of the Amy's line and they offer a few items in the light sodium variety.
  • breathless575
    breathless575 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    adamitri wrote: »
    I really like much of the Amy's line and they offer a few items in the light sodium variety.

The Amy's burritos and canned soups are good too, but we do need to watch the sodium.

• NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    The Amy's line is also one of my favorites. They have several meals that I really enjoy and I usually keep a stock of them in my freezer for "just in case."
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I see on another thread you are hoping to find a diet. Are you also hoping to stay vegetarian?

I'm not a fan of diets or of trying to find the "best" foods. One might accidentally cut out great foods like milk, cheese, olive oil or eggs because they aren't the "best". There's no reward for trying to do go faster, harder, or leaner than everyone else. This is a marathon game and all foods get to join in on the fun.

On my list of convenience foods are hummus, cheese, crackers, fruit, bread, wraps and leftovers. For lunch today I am having a hash made from leftover chili, stew, and bean soup, served in a six inch whole wheat wrap. It's so cheap it might as well be free.
  • breathless575
    Options
    I no longer am worried about staying vegetarian. I will allow animal products into my diet if the extra protein will help me lose weight.

@Jgnatca, your lunch sounds good.
  • lautour
    lautour Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Two I like are Lean Cuisine Steak Portobello with broccoli and Healthy Choice Honey Balsamic Chicken. Lean Cuisine Thai Chicken Spring Rolls were awesome but I have a coconut intolerance and didn't read the label carefully so I paid dearly for that deliciousness.

I frequently eat these types of meals because chronic pain flares can leave me unable to put together a meal or even think straight. I used to eat snack foods out of desperation in those situations (like I'd eat nuts all day because I couldn't figure out meals). Then I finally got a microwave. So I'm going through a lot of prepared foods now and choosing what I like.
  • breathless575
    Options
    I love eating prepared foods because you can see the nutritional info right there on the box. No complicated serving sizes to figure out the calorie content in recipes.
  • JanetCentury
    JanetCentury Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any recommendations of prepared food entries that are lower in carbs? All of them seem to include a big portion of pasta or rice.

Suggestions? Midweek these are a lifesaver cuz cooking ain't happening!
  • mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    adamitri wrote: »

I like these too, especially spinach pockets. Also "good food made simple" mac and cheese. I wouldn't say they are super healthy but have few ingredients, are filling and reasonably low in calories.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I prefer Two fried eggs in Pam spray and two pieces of toast when I'm tired and don't feel like cooking.

Or a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich.

• TickleAnn
    TickleAnn Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any recommendations of prepared food entries that are lower in carbs? All of them seem to include a big portion of pasta or rice.

It's hard to find lower carb in convenience foods because carbs are cheap! Lean Cuisine Pomegranate Chicken is pretty good:

https://www.leancuisine.com/products/details/11498
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options

How about spaghetti squash with canned tomato sauce? Bonus points if you add turkey meatballs.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I like those tuna snacks. But really it doesn't take gigantic effort to prepare something myself anyways.
  • mdrichardsons
    mdrichardsons Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Don't know if this is what you had in mind but I go for cottage cheese, Dannon Greek yogurt 80 cals ;) applesauce. Canned whole tomatoes (I actually can them. But they fill me super fast). Also kettle corn is good for my sweet tooth and not a lot of calories.
  • sierraleigh1
    sierraleigh1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Kipper snack and crackers or silk soy yogurt(dairy allergy) with wheat germ. :-)