Diet Down, Getting Started With Gym, Help?

Hello there!

About three weeks ago, I made the decision to become a healthier, happier me. I was tired of being bloated, and eating my comfort foods just didn't do it for me anymore. I started off by cutting my calories with the help of MFP. I've become more aware of just what I'm putting into my body, and I'm feeling better already despite the short timeframe. I'd like to add exercise into the mix, but honestly, I have no clue where to start!

I guess some background about me- I'm a 23 year-old female. I'm 5'2" and currently around 122 pounds. I'd like to turn this skinny fat into some muscle and get toned. I'm just unsure how to start off, and I don't want to do anything too intense too fast. Any ideas? Thanks in advance :smile:

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Maybe try something like-
    New Rules of Lifting For Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess
    Starting Strength
    Stronglifts 5x5
    Ice Cream Fitness 5x5

Although, you might want to consider a personal trainer.
  • Rangjew
    Rangjew Posts: 12 Member
    Hi
    Start with a personal trainer just to make yourself more familiar with weight lifting, exercise and develop proper form. Unfortunately cardio alone will not give you the tone physique you are looking for and weightlifting can cause injury of you are not using correct form.
    While PTs can be costly a good one is definitely worth it, and many offer a free session or discounts if you bring a friend. If you are planing to join a gym, taking some weight bearing classes, such as body pump, will also help get your head around exercise.
    There are also a lot of free websites that offer great advice, like www.bodybuilding.com and paid services like www.bodyshredprogram.com who can tailor a program for you. There are also a whole bunch of youtube work out sessions if you prefer to work out at home. fitspiration.tumblr.com/ blog has a good collection of videos they post.
    I would suggest starting with body weight exercises like squats and lunges, push ups, dips and crunches as they are easy to perfect. Then moving onto some light weights to build up your resistance as you gain confidence.
    Just remember that the first 4 weeks or so you will be suffering and not seeing many changes in your body but don't give up. When you really get into it weigh lifting does amazing things to the female body and you will feel stronger and confident. I hope this helps. Best of luck on your journey!!