Is it just me?

Options
I have been on my weight loss journey for 7 months and it shocks me how scared I am of falling off the wagon!

I took a week off of training last week as I was extremely sore and thought I should give myself a rest. I was so anxious about not training and felt so incredibly guilty. And to be honest I was scared that I was just making excuses and that taking this week off would mean I would never get back into my routine and would be fat and disgusting again.

A bit dramatic I know!!

I do the same with food choices as well... I haven't eaten chocolate or crisps or bread in 7 months and am too scared to even have a tiny bit cause I'm scared I'll fall of the wagon. Or if I have a few treat meals I get down on myself that I'm falling into bad habits again.

Is anyone else experiencing this? What do others do to keep things in perspective and not beat up on themselves when you don't train or eat 100%?

Replies

• Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Definitely feel you on this. I pretty much feel like I have to completely stay away from "bad" food, or I'll ruin everything. I'm trying to stop thinking that way and start thinking I can have some, in moderation. But right now I don't bring any junk into the house because I know if I have a bad day, I'll just eat it all and lose control.
    Same thing with the gym, if I miss a day or two, I feel super guilty. I am already stressing out super bad about going on vacation (several months from now!) because I don't think I'll have a way to keep my workout routine, or stay on track with food, and in the past that has ruined me and I totally fell off the wagon.
    So you're not alone!
  • TheBigDirection
    TheBigDirection Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I took a week off of training last week as I was extremely sore and thought I should give myself a rest. I was so anxious about not training and felt so incredibly guilty. And to be honest I was scared that I was just making excuses and that taking this week off would mean I would never get back into my routine and would be fat and disgusting again.

A bit dramatic I know!!

I know the feeling. I had to take a few days off from walking and it was bugging me to no end. I was afraid that the longer I go without walking, the greater the chance that I'll never get back to it.

Luckily, I managed to start walking again yesterday.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    It's definitely a difficult mind set that is hard to break once in that habit.

For me, I started with just minor changes and got rid of "the wagon" concept. I can't fall off because I never got on, so to speak. Sure, I track calories and am making better food choices but I also on a regular basis eat candy, pizza (when I can have dairy, allergy issue) and other delicious things. Some people do better with deprivation and avoidance, but that just never felt like a great plan for me. I try not to make food into villains. If I can get my protein, decent calories and on occasion have a caramel egg or half a bag of chips, then why not? Though I do try my best to eat one serving, which is hard in some candies when I used to eat the whole box until I paid attention to what actually counted as a serving. If I go over my calories on a day, I shrug. I've lost 50 so far, so things aren't going too bad.

I also to focus many of my goals beyond reaching a number on the scale. I have a goal of just being active for an entire year. I started in September and so far have been active every month. At the end of each month, I cross it off the page I created and have hanging on my fridge. I have a goal to jog a 5k and will do that middle of June. Then there are weight lifting goals cause lifting heavy stuff is fun. Having things I enjoy and goals helps me keep going and I worry less about what percent I'm succeeding at overall.

For rest - one thing to try and consider might be that an important part of training is taking rest days in order for the body to recover. That's why many lifting programs aren't 6-7 days a week. In fact, many are just 3 days a week. Starting cardio has similar views as well because Couch to 5k training is done 3 days a week as well with the idea of active rest days during the week too. Some programs even have built in rest or de-load weeks where you do less on purpose. It's not slacking, just part of the program and good for mental sake as well sometimes.

Hope that helps a little.
  • courtneymedwell2014
    courtneymedwell2014 Posts: 27 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Definitely feel you on this. I pretty much feel like I have to completely stay away from "bad" food, or I'll ruin everything. I'm trying to stop thinking that way and start thinking I can have some, in moderation. But right now I don't bring any junk into the house because I know if I have a bad day, I'll just eat it all and lose control.
    Same thing with the gym, if I miss a day or two, I feel super guilty. I am already stressing out super bad about going on vacation (several months from now!) because I don't think I'll have a way to keep my workout routine, or stay on track with food, and in the past that has ruined me and I totally fell off the wagon.
    So you're not alone!
    It's so hard to learn to trust ourselves again to not let things get out of control. Perhaps we need to focus on making sure we find what's right for us and trusting we can stick it out? Good luck with your holiday! Hopefully you find some nice places to walk or something to stay active xx
  • courtneymedwell2014
    Options

A bit dramatic I know!!

I know the feeling. I had to take a few days off from walking and it was bugging me to no end. I was afraid that the longer I go without walking, the greater the chance that I'll never get back to it.

Luckily, I managed to start walking again yesterday.

Congrats on getting back into it yesterday. I am hoping with time we will remember we aren't the same people anymore with the knowledge we have now and that we are committed to our new lifestyles ✌
  • courtneymedwell2014
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    It's definitely a difficult mind set that is hard to break once in that habit.

For me, I started with just minor changes and got rid of "the wagon" concept. I can't fall off because I never got on, so to speak. Sure, I track calories and am making better food choices but I also on a regular basis eat candy, pizza (when I can have dairy, allergy issue) and other delicious things. Some people do better with deprivation and avoidance, but that just never felt like a great plan for me. I try not to make food into villains. If I can get my protein, decent calories and on occasion have a caramel egg or half a bag of chips, then why not? Though I do try my best to eat one serving, which is hard in some candies when I used to eat the whole box until I paid attention to what actually counted as a serving. If I go over my calories on a day, I shrug. I've lost 50 so far, so things aren't going too bad.

I also to focus many of my goals beyond reaching a number on the scale. I have a goal of just being active for an entire year. I started in September and so far have been active every month. At the end of each month, I cross it off the page I created and have hanging on my fridge. I have a goal to jog a 5k and will do that middle of June. Then there are weight lifting goals cause lifting heavy stuff is fun. Having things I enjoy and goals helps me keep going and I worry less about what percent I'm succeeding at overall.

For rest - one thing to try and consider might be that an important part of training is taking rest days in order for the body to recover. That's why many lifting programs aren't 6-7 days a week. In fact, many are just 3 days a week. Starting cardio has similar views as well because Couch to 5k training is done 3 days a week as well with the idea of active rest days during the week too. Some programs even have built in rest or de-load weeks where you do less on purpose. It's not slacking, just part of the program and good for mental sake as well sometimes.

Hope that helps a little.

This is great