Walking vs Running

♥jewel♥
♥jewel♥ Posts: 839
edited September 27 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey everyone! i have a quick question, if you please. Which is better for you - walking or running? Does it depend on how old you are, what shape you're in etc?

i know that running is harder on your joints and such, i guess from the heavier impact.

i'm curious to see what you think.

Thank you
jewel

Replies

• fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Both are great.

I lost a lot of my weight from walking/hiking. Obviously it takes a longer time to work off the calories but there is nothing like a long walk on a sunny day.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Walking is great, but running burns more calories in less time. Yes, it can be harder on the joints, but if you get fitted for good shoes, and build up gradually, stretch and do all the things they tell you to avoid injury, listen to your body, etc... it's actually a pretty safe and fun workout. And I've seen people in their 60's and older in 5Ks that I've run, so there isn't any real age limit - it's all a state of mind.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Running will develop the cardiovascular system to a much greater degree than walking. It will also burn more calories per unit of time.

If done properly, running is really not hard on the joints. It will strengthen the muscles and connective tissue and make the joints stronger.

I am not against walking though. I do both every day.
  • kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Walking at a fast pace uphill is a pretty good workout too. I think both are great.
  • ChrisR0128
    ChrisR0128 Posts: 86
    I LOVE to run!!!!! i just started since feb. started out slowly and akwardly on a treadmill. Then one sunny day i decided to jog around an outdoor track by my house. That was good for awhile but got tired of running in circles. Started running on a "bike" trail along a river 1/2 mile from my house and I became a full blown running addict pb so far is 15 miles. But whatever you prefer works as long as you get moving!!!! : D
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Theyre both good. It just depends what you prefer and what your level of fitness is.
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    I'm not a runner, but what I find really helpful is incorporating a little jogging in with my walking. The results have been amazing. The jogging helps up your heart rate and calorie burn, and the changing between walking and running helps keep your body in a constant state of change - change that is good! SO, mostly I walk fast, then add jogging for a little bit, then back to walking, then jogging...
  • Lunarokra
    Lunarokra Posts: 855 Member
    I've been jogging a couple days a week, increasing from 10-20mins now and I can tell you I feel the difference in strength when I go to spin.

I also enjoy walking and I usually do a 20 min walk at lunch.
  • Cletc
    Cletc Posts: 352
    Which is better -
    walking or running?

It depends on your goal
    What do you want to accomplish?
    and how are you defining "better" exactly?
  • Are you in the gym or doing your cardio outside? When Im in the gym I alternate between a very quick uphill walk increasing the incline whenever I can, and jogging starting at a 1.5% incline and gradually increasing until I reach about 5 minutes. I have found it very beneficial and torches calories at just about the same rate running steadily does for me. The alternating heart rate keeps your body guessing and working :)
  • garreltsnk
    garreltsnk Posts: 19
    I race walk, I feel better that running. I'm not so out of breath. I walk 2 1/2 to 3 miles during my lunch break, and I feel so much better. I know I wouldn't feel that way if I ran. Plus I have to go back to work, and I am a little sweaty, but not enough to smell bad for everyone else. lol
  • Sumo813
    Sumo813 Posts: 566 Member
    Most "studies" I have read say walking, mostly because there's no downtime between sessions. Whereas with running, the harder you push, the more downtime you need to recover. But when you walk, always remember to walk with a purpose. ;)
  • LeanaJo
    LeanaJo Posts: 85
    I do a combination of both (a jog/run/walk routine) when I do go out for one.

I used to run competitively when I was in high school. And ran a lot in the Army too. I thought running/jogging was better than walking back then. But in the last 2 years, I combined the 2 and I get a better workout without killing myself or getting "burned" out from it. I do like 2 minutes running/jogging and then 2 minutes walking (and vice-versa for 60 minutes. Usually 5-6 miles, every other day).

I find it easier on my body, joints, and for my mentality. I find it slims my thighs down much better than just running/jogging without walking. With walking in between, it really does miracles for slimming down my thighs.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    I think walking is probably better for you, but it takes such a long time to rack up the miles! I can run 10-12km in an hour. It would take me 3 hours to walk that, and I don't have 3 hours spare a day.
  • LeanaJo
    LeanaJo Posts: 85
    Most "studies" I have read say walking, mostly because there's no downtime between sessions. Whereas with running, the harder you push, the more downtime you need to recover. But when you walk, always remember to walk with a purpose. ;)

Very true! Walk briskly and keep swinging your arms. You get a better workout and better, faster results later.
  • flausa
    flausa Posts: 534 Member
    I've been power walking and I really love what it's doing for me. I vary my workouts between working on building speed and working on building stamina. I'm hoping to add some running in after I've done my half marathon. The cool thing is, when I really hit my groove, I can walk faster than most people jog.
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    I like both - but then I"m wishy-washy...:laugh:

I like jogging, but I jog very slowly. During the winter when it was super icy and I was too cheap to buy microspikes to continue running outside once the powder was packed down and slippery, I did some brisk walks and was surprised to see that the burn was actually closer to the burn I get from jogging that I would have guessed. Yes I did know I am a slow runner, but the burn was significant enough - so I personally wouldn't discount the benefits of walking, even in terms of the calorie burn.

Time efficiency-wise, yes the running is better. But walking is something I love too b/c it can be 'incidental' exercise. If I didn't have to work, I would walk around all day everyday all the time. Like if I could, I would be a professional pedestrian.

One thing I would impress upon anyone about to start running, don't overdo it in the beginning. Certainly the goal is improvement, but you can't improve if you overdo it and injure yourself early on. The Couch to 5K programs are handy b/c they take the guesswork out of it...
This discussion has been closed.