Starting to get pretty discouraged...

Options
I've been at this since the third week of March and have only just hit 8.5 lbs lost. I have a feeling at least a pound of that came from being sick last week, when I lived off saltines and Vernors for a few days. I stay within my 1320 calorie goal nearly every day, with only the occasional splurge or slip-up now and then, and drink at least 8 oz of water every day (it may not be logged perfectly, but I drink a TON of water). I did have to cut down on my exercise about a month ago, though - my knee is screwed up from a past injury, which really limits what I can do.

I have a huge sweet tooth, which can make things difficult, but I fight to keep everything in moderation. I've always been told it's better to allow yourself a little of what you crave instead of cutting it out completely so you don't feel deprived, but maybe it's time to start cutting things out? I've opened my diary, so any help or suggestions would be most welcome. I was always too self-conscious to do it before, but something's gotta give. :(

Replies

• vraesgame
    vraesgame Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged! You're making great progress. I've been on here and working at it since January 3rd and am finally at 18 pounds lost... You and I have almost the same amount of weight to lose and it is MUCH better for it to come off slowly and surely so it'll stay off. As far as stuff you crave, I say give in a little. I actually give myself 1-2 cheat days a week (usually friday - my weigh in day and saturday). Keep telling yourself that you can do it! :flowerforyou: Good luck!!
  • hellokatee
    hellokatee Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can recommend when looking at your diary is possibly cutting down your sodium intake! Water retention due to high sodium intake could definitely be effecting the scale! :smile:
  • dietfree2012
    dietfree2012 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Your doing great!! Right on track! A healthy loss is 1-2 pounds a week...it seems that you are losing a pound a week! Unfortunately, weighl loss is really loss when its done the right way...If you want to see a large loss in a small amount of time at this point you will probably have to live in the gym because your calories are in the right range. I would stay the course...
  • JenHollandsworth
    JenHollandsworth Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! Here are some ideas that might help (take them or leave them!). Good luck!!
    - Try 1200 calories for a while
    - Incorporate some yoga/pilates (easier on the knees and still builds lean muscle). Denise Austin has some easy to follow but effective DVDs if you are a beginner.
    - No/low carb lunches: veggies and hummus plus a hard boiled egg or greek yogurt
    - buy hersey kisses or halloween size candy and allow yourself a treat every day
    - add fresh lemon to your water (helps flush out toxins)

These are just some ideas I have used and have helped me!

:)
    Jen
  • HJMAYES
    HJMAYES Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hey - I am not an expert by any means either...but I have lost 44 lbs and have 10 lbs to go myself, so I know where you are at. It gets more and more likely that food/diet is the culprit as you start to plateau.
    8 lbs is nothing to sneeze at, and it's important to remember that this didn't get there all at once, it WILL take some time to get it back off.
    I looked at your food log and it appears that you do eat out often...that's my downfall too. :)
    The problem with eating out, even at Subway, is that it's not "fresh" food. And chances are that is why your sodium seems so high too.
    If you have the options, pick items that are fresh - particularly for your snacks.
    You seem to do really well with balancing 5 small meals a day. Keep up with that!
    Use old fashioned oats, not instant, spreadable fruit on your toast, not anything filled with sugar.
    Read labels. It's important. If it has high fructose corn syrup - don't even go there.
    I allow myself one cheat a week...that is the advice of my personal trainer...and trust me, I fall off consistently - which is why I have been the same weight for a while. I work out every day - so I know this is the proof I need that it's the food that I am putting in my body that is stopping me from my goals.
    Good luck and keep up the great work! You will get there.
    Holly
  • mskon
    mskon Posts: 64
    Options
    People have told me to watch my sodium, sugar and drink water like a fish. I've got my sugar under control, but now I'm working on my sodium. I've been here since April and I've only lost 1lb {after gaining 4 when I first started}. I know it gets depressing and it's hard to see that scale not move {or move up in my case}, but then I remind myself that I've been eating like crap for years and my body is just shocked that I finally decided to take care of it.

There will be way better responses than mine since I'm still a newbie, but feel free to add me if you'd like :smile:
  • JDRBT
    JDRBT Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I'm stuck in yo-yo mode myself, but here's what I'd suggest:
    Change up BREAKFAST. Start off your day with a PROTIEN. It'll help you crave less carbs. I had the MOST consistant success with weight loss when I was eating a protien for breakfast. My most effctive carb fighting tool is breakfast. (It really IS the most important meal of the day!) I have a nasty sweet tooth and if I start off with carbs, I crave them all day long. So I'm starting off with GOOD carbs now. Instead of oatmeal and sugar, or cream of wheat and sugar, try getting some Chobani yogurt instead, if you need a quick breakfast. Ideally, getting up to scramble a couple of eggs (2 max) is a great hot way to start the day. (You can also scramble eggs in the microwave if you need it fast).

If you cut out 1 carb/day, you'll be just fine. You're LOSING - and that's a good thing.
    BTW - I have a problem with Sandwiches. I find that every time I eat them, I have trouble losing. I'm not sure if it's too much bread or what, but if you can replace your sandwich with a hearty soup or salad and just 1 peice of bread/toast, it'll fulfilled that carb craving, but without giving you so much bread. Just choose a low sodium soup. :)

Feel free to friend me and comment on my calories! Always great to keep each other in check! Ever since I moved in with my DH (who's military, and can eat whatever he wants basically), it's been impossible to stay within my calories. He gets like 3k, I get like 1200. But we decided tonight that we're going to cut dinner in 1/2 for me and I'm going to spread out breakfast so I eat every 2-3 hrs, instead of 3 big meals.

Hang in there!
  • skramer13
    skramer13 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the great suggestions! Oatmeal turned into my go-to breakfast since it seemed to keep me full for a decent amount of time, but I'm going to start trying some scrambled eggs instead. Hummus and veggies sound like a delicious idea for lunch! I'm going to try that for awhile and stop with the sandwiches and see if that makes a difference. I think being at work all day could be a culprit, too - I know sitting at a desk intermittently getting bored throughout the day can make you think you're hungry when you really aren't. I've recently started getting up periodically just to walk, though, and I think it might be helping a bit.

I've actually considered lowering myself to 1200 calories a day, but I'm not sure I could do it yet - I usually cut it pretty close to 1320, and I don't want to get even more discouraged if I lower it only to consistently go over. I'm going to start switching out those meals, though, so maybe that could make a 1200 calorie limit a little more feasible. At any rate, thank you so much!
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    For what you have to lose, you're actually losing right on schedule. You didn't gain the weight overnight, and you won't lose it overnight. When you are fairly close to a healthy weight, you WILL lose slower. Patience.
  • LilLolo22
    LilLolo22 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Well, I know that for myself I have to watch my sodium and carbs. If I eat most of my carbs during the day and try to eat a low/no carb dinner, my body seems to like it. I too drink a TON of water throughout the day, but I noticed that it seems that I tend to lose on the days I really sweat it out. We've been on here about the same amount of time and it took FOREVER for me to start losing weight. I just hit 8 lbs this morning. DON'T GIVE UP! Just keep trucking along and I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised.
  • lapamperedchef
    Options
    I've been at this since the third week of March and have only just hit 8.5 lbs lost. I have a feeling at least a pound of that came from being sick last week, when I lived off saltines and Vernors for a few days. I stay within my 1320 calorie goal nearly every day, with only the occasional splurge or slip-up now and then, and drink at least 8 oz of water every day (it may not be logged perfectly, but I drink a TON of water). I did have to cut down on my exercise about a month ago, though - my knee is screwed up from a past injury, which really limits what I can do.

I have a huge sweet tooth, which can make things difficult, but I fight to keep everything in moderation. I've always been told it's better to allow yourself a little of what you crave instead of cutting it out completely so you don't feel deprived, but maybe it's time to start cutting things out? I've opened my diary, so any help or suggestions would be most welcome. I was always too self-conscious to do it before, but something's gotta give. :(

First I would start with your sodium. It is on the high side. Avoid anything made with white flour. That will help save a few calories for better things. Try to get most of your carbs from fruit and veggies. As for a sweet tooth, do give in sometimes if not you end up over doing the sweets. I keep dark chocolate 70 % or better around at all times. As for you knee injury, find a gym with a lap pool and learn to love to swim! It's easy on the joints plus it burns loads of calories. Also, have a cheat day once every 5 days where you have a meal that could easy cover calories for the day. Sounds crazy but eating alot of calories keep your metabolism in check. Makes it work with calorie confusion. Your doing great though. You shouldn't be losing more then 1-2 lbs per week.

"Confusion is the first step toward understanding"
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    First of all, 8.5 pounds is great. I wouldn't feel discouraged over this. When you are not very overweight, it tends to come off a bit slower. Second, looking at just a couple days of yours I see lots of sugar and sodium. I strongly suggest to cut back a little on these things. Not only because you will retain less water weight..but also you will be less hungry and have more energy. Maybe substitute some of the donuts with some fruits? You still get the sugar and sweets but you also get other nutrients you need too.

Good luck!
  • skramer13
    skramer13 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    For what you have to lose, you're actually losing right on schedule. You didn't gain the weight overnight, and you won't lose it overnight. When you are fairly close to a healthy weight, you WILL lose slower. Patience.

Now that it's being pointed out to me, I'm actually beginning to feel a little silly for letting myself feel down. I never stopped to realize that it really HAS only been about 8 weeks...I started this the week after I got back from a trip to Cali to visit my dad, and it seems like it's been so much longer than that since I've seen him. I guess I really have lost about a pound a week - there hasn't been even a hint of consistency, though, so maybe that's what threw me off, too. Feeling pretty silly now, but thanks again for all the encouragement anyway! :)