What REALLY inspired you to lose weight?

Options
12345679»

Replies

• lautour
    lautour Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    timtam163 wrote: »
    Hey there everyone :)

A few things inspired me; in particular though, I was going through therapy and noticing all the negative stuff I'd been saying about myself, to myself, and to other people. I was being so mean to myself! I was my own mean girl! It made me stress eat and despite regular rock climbing, walking, and running, I was allowing my weight to creep back up. I once lost 20 lbs through diet and exercise, but I had deprived myself so much during that it was about self-flagellation rather than self-acceptance. When I gained all but 3 lbs of it back, it was one more reason to feel sorry for myself. So finally I decided to kick the extreme dieting and practice self-love in all parts of my life.

Seeing weight loss as an act of self-love rather than an act of deprivation was HUGE for me. And MFP has really helped me think about making healthy choices early on in the day. I'm even learning to forgive the few days when I go 600 calories over my daily limit; those do happen! But I'm 7 lbs down and with 13 more to go, I feel like I'm finally learning to be kind to myself rather than bully myself.

Beautiful!
  • KingofWisdom
    KingofWisdom Posts: 229 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I've always wanted to lose weight, but what inspired me to go out and buy a scale, join MFP, make a serious commitment to weight loss, etc. was me taking pictures of myself and being unhappy with what I saw. I also kept outgrowing my clothes because of the weight I was piling on, and that made me feel very ashamed of myself.
  • LiveLoveRunFar
    LiveLoveRunFar Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    The final blow was a photograph. I had been making very small changes to move more, due to health issues that the doctors couldn't figure out what was causing it (hip pain, can't walk for a month, tiredness, etc). I guess they no longer want to tell you...You are OBESE, you are not fat you are OBESE, and you are going to hurt until you are not or until you die from obesity. Get yourself to a nutritionist/to MFP and a gym. I was convinced I had gained 30- 40 pounds in 3 years due to stress. It was an extra 30 pounds by the end of the 1st year and the 3rd year it was 40 pounds. Never stepped on a scale that whole time, but those were the numbers. When I got serious and stepped on the scale, wow I was now up 50 pounds. BUT.... since I hadn't stepped on a scale to have a base number of how much I had gained....I was making up the gain numbers and believing them. Reality is, I'm now smaller then I was before I gained those 30? 40? 50? pounds. I have SOME of my old clothes that I used to wear before I gained the 30? 40? 50? pounds...they are too big. The truth is, I was hauling around 190 pounds on a very short 5 foot 1 inch frame.....I had 70 pounds to lose. That was October 2014. Now I have 31 pounds to lose.
  • srschaffer1
    srschaffer1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    albalegume wrote: »
    The final blow was a photograph. I had been making very small changes to move more, due to health issues that the doctors couldn't figure out what was causing it (hip pain, can't walk for a month, tiredness, etc). I guess they no longer want to tell you...You are OBESE, you are not fat you are OBESE, and you are going to hurt until you are not or until you die from obesity. Get yourself to a nutritionist/to MFP and a gym. I was convinced I had gained 30- 40 pounds in 3 years due to stress. It was an extra 30 pounds by the end of the 1st year and the 3rd year it was 40 pounds. Never stepped on a scale that whole time, but those were the numbers. When I got serious and stepped on the scale, wow I was now up 50 pounds. BUT.... since I hadn't stepped on a scale to have a base number of how much I had gained....I was making up the gain numbers and believing them. Reality is, I'm now smaller then I was before I gained those 30? 40? 50? pounds. I have SOME of my old clothes that I used to wear before I gained the 30? 40? 50? pounds...they are too big. The truth is, I was hauling around 190 pounds on a very short 5 foot 1 inch frame.....I had 70 pounds to lose. That was October 2014. Now I have 31 pounds to lose.

Congradulations! It is so wonderful to see others who were inspired, it surely inspires me even more! You are doing so well!

• LiveLoveRunFar
    LiveLoveRunFar Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Thank U! I am no success story yet, but I intend to be one. :smile: The best thing is I no longer hurt....and for anyone who has been sick for a long long time, when you get better you appreciate how well you feel...that's what its like for me every day now!

• whatang
    whatang Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have a brain condition called Chiari Malformation (it's a malformation of the skull which puts constant pressure on your brain stem, and blocks the flow of cerebrospinal fluid, it can make things like walking, talking and swallowing very difficult). It makes life in general, harder. The only fix is brain surgery.

Last year, on top of that, I was diagnosed with depression, anxiety, sleep deprivation and insulin resistance. My weight (232) was adding to a pretty heavy load that was already on my body. I figured I'd better take control of the things I could, to allow my body the best chance of handling the things I couldn't (the symptoms of my Chiari).

I didn't want to be a diabetic, I didn't want to be a smoker and I didn't want to be fat and sick. So I quit smoking, have reversed my insulin resistance, and have gotten my sleep, depression and anxiety mostly under control. 77 pounds down, 6 more until I'm at a healthy BMI for the first time in 11 years.

I feel better than I have in longer than I can remember.

Wow. You are awesome. Thanks for sharing your story.
  • SassyCassie90
    SassyCassie90 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    When I was in high school, I was 5'7 and 135 pounds, but I never realized how great I looked because there were so many other girls who were way smaller than me. I have a bad habit of comparing myself to other girls and always thinking I don't look as good as they do. When I got to college I gained the freshman 15 (+10lbs), which was in part because of my new birth control. By the time I met my husband I was 150, and when I got pregnant I was 165. I always had bad eating habits, and when I got pregnant I let myself eat way more than I should because I was "eating for 2". By the time I had my daughter I was on partial bed rest and at 230. I could not believe I had let myself go like that, and instead of trying to lose the baby weight I decided to just deal and eat whatever I want. I tried to convince myself to be happy with how I looked, and it worked until I started planning my wedding. I couldn't believe I was looking at size 16 dresses, so my mother in law told me about a high protein low carb diet, so I made myself do that along with Jillian Michaels workouts, and lost 40 pounds in 4 months. Then I had my wedding and completely stopped watching my food. I knew my clothes were getting tighter, but I kept saying "tomorrow" I will do something. It wasn't until this weekend and I saw my reflection in a store window when I realized what I really looked like. I weigh 210 now, and my husband and I have decided to start trying to have another baby. I know I don't want to gain another 70 pounds with this pregnancy, so I am determined to lose as much as I healthily can before I get pregnant again. I also want to have more energy to take my daughter to the park and for walks. I had been dreading summer because I know she wants to go outside, but I don't want to leave the house. So I am only on day 2 of exercising and keeping track on MFP, and I am already feeling so much better. Instead of looking at other girls and wishing I look like them, I am telling myself that I WILL look like them and be healthy doing it.

Sorry this is so long, I am a bit of an over explainer sometimes